Insulin dependent question?

katiecat

I'm taking my step-daughter this year who's needs insulin with her all the time so I have ???

1st- I don't think Miracle has a fridge in the room for her insulin. What to do?

2nd- Is it a problem taking her meds. in port? I like to take her on excursions but she need insulin at noon.

3rd- for flying I was told she needs a docters note & labelled containers & boxes is this all we need?

Thanks for any help!

I'm taking my step-daughter this year who's needs insulin with her all the time so I have ???

1st- I don't think Miracle has a fridge in the room for her insulin. What to do?

2nd- Is it a problem taking her meds. in port? I like to take her on excursions but she need insulin at noon.

3rd- for flying I was told she needs a docters note & labelled containers & boxes is this all we need?

Thanks for any help!

It can be kept at guest relations or the purser's desk and you should have acess 24 hours a day.

I am insulin also, but mine is the injectable pen. It has to be refridgerated until I use the first dose. After that, room temperature. I know you can get insulated pouches to keep it in. That should work for you while in port. I've read that all you need for flying is the MD note. Also, your room steward will get you a sharps container for your room. I never bothered them for one, I just use a hard plastic bottle to put my needle caps in and also for my test strips. I keep it in the drawer and just dispose of it when I get home. I don't fly so that isn't a problem. Have a great cruise.

Contact Guest w/Special Needs department

http://carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx

Depending on what ship you maybe able to have a small refridgerator...which you will have on the Miracle.

Diabetes/ Medicine storage

Ships equipped with (mini-bars) with an average Temp. of 70F and 21C are: Conquest, Dream, Freedom, Glory, Legend, Liberty, Miracle, Pride, Spirit, Splendor and Valor. If a refrigerator is not available, medication may be stored with the Guest Services Desk available 24 hours a day. Sugar free substitute desserts are available onboard.

For more information contact the Guest Access Services department at 800-438-6744 extension 70025 or Click here.

You should call them and ask what verification you need for the syringes.. I believe they will also supply one of those disposable red boxes for the needles...

I fly and carry my insulin and syringes on board with me. I have never had a problem. I have never been asked for a doctors statement or anything. I don't know about the ports, but it should not be a problem. They don't search you or question you about anything. Insulin does not have to be refrigerated all the time. I keep mine cold but have been told that it does not have to be refrigerated. For the cabins that don't have a fridge, I keep mine in the ice bucket. The room steward fills it every day. I do ask for a sharps container or I keep them in my shaving kit until I get home to dispose of them.:D

Not diabetic, but doing a clinical trial for a company, so I give myself 2 injections twice a day, plus I have to reconstitute one of the meds, so that means 5 syringes a day. I brought along my own small sharps container that holds about a weeks worth. Kept my meds cold in a collapsible cooler that my steward kept ice in, since we didn't have a frig on the Fantasy.

No problems flying, boarding, etc. I carried my meds in a little small 6 pack cooler, with my syringes, etc.

By the way, the meds are for weightloss. And they work. I've lost 35 pounds since July 1!!

Hubby is a diabetic and takes injections (not insulin) twice a day. We informed Carnival prior to cruise but sharps container was not in our room when we arrived. We asked the steward and he got one for us. We also requested early dining and were given late. I went to the dining room at the posted time (it's on the paperwork in your cabin) on the first day and he switched us, no problem.

RE flying...he has flown 3 times since he started the injections and has had no problems. I put all his supplies in a ziplock bag and he informs them about his meds when he goes through security.

Have a great cruise!!:)

My DH wears an insulin pump. I'm hoping it won't be a problem boarding the ship at ports.

Anyone have experience on this?

We have flown without any questions asked about the pump, tubing, syringes or medication. I plan on bringing a collapsible cooler to store the insulin since our ship will not have fridges.

Katie,

I recommend that you talk to her doctor or a Dietician about adjusting her insulin for your flight day. Adjusting the insulin and meal time when crossing time zones can get tricky.

I would also suggest that you carry snacks for the plane and for your days in port.

Have fun on your trip. :p

Thanks for any help!

My Mom is diabetic and she always brings a small cooler with her that has the tray on top. We just make sure she always has ice to keep her insulin cold all the time. She also had to have a note from her diabetic doctor saying she was a insulin dependant diabetic along with her meds in the containers they came in. As long as you have the note with you there shouldn't be any problems if you have to carry the insulin and syringe off the ship.

You shouldn't have a problem flying with her meds. Last year we meet my mom out in Vegas. Mom forgot her insulin here. I took it with us. Her insulin needed to be kept cold, so once we were thru secruity I got a coffee cup with ice in it. It made it on a 4 hour flight, no problems. No one asked anything about it.

Have a great cruise!!!

Henepup

I am insulin also, but mine is the injectable pen. It has to be refridgerated until I use the first dose. After that, room temperature. I know you can get insulated pouches to keep it in. That should work for you while in port. I've read that all you need for flying is the MD note. Also, your room steward will get you a sharps container for your room. I never bothered them for one, I just use a hard plastic bottle to put my needle caps in and also for my test strips. I keep it in the drawer and just dispose of it when I get home. I don't fly so that isn't a problem. Have a great cruise.

As stated here, most insulins can be stored at room temperature for up to one month after the bottle or pen is opened. Insulin is usually kept refridgerated until the bottle is opened. Go to the website of the manufacturer of your stepdaughter's insulin and there should be specific directions regarding storage requirements. In most cases, simply keeping the insulin from extremely high temperatures and direct sunlight is sufficient. Have a great cruise!!!:cool:

My DH wears an insulin pump. I'm hoping it won't be a problem boarding the ship at ports.

Anyone have experience on this?

We have flown without any questions asked about the pump, tubing, syringes or medication. I plan on bringing a collapsible cooler to store the insulin since our ship will not have fridges.

I am on an insulin pump and have not had a problem at all. I find it very easy. I do bring a baggie filled with ice in a collapsible cooler bag with an extra freezer baggie to put the pump in if I need to remove it like when we go to a beach so that the pump doesn't get hot. Never a problem at ports or getting on and off the ship. I have gotten conficting stories from 2 different doctors on whether I can go through the scanning machine when getting on and off the ship, but the company I got the pump from says not to go through the scanner, so I just show the security person the pump and tell them I can't go through it and they do a pat-down search and I am on my way.

I don't store my opened vials of insulin in a fridge or cooler or ice bucket.

My spouse has asked me to address your questions.

I wear an insulin pump. Never had problem going on airlines or on a cruise. If I have to disclose it at the airlines it is no problem.

I carry ALL extra insulin ON ME WHEN TRAVELING. Never, never, never put it into your checked on luggage. It will get boiled and frozen, etc. and you will have bad insulin at the end of your flight.

My glucometer I carry in my purse and that does get xray'd. No problem unless the TSA is new and uneducated properly. Most are knowledgable.

I keep all "extra" insulin vials in a pouch and ask the room steward for ice for the bucket. Put paper toweling/tissue between ice and insulin. Don't freeze! Fill ice bucket morning and night.

When I travel, I carry a LIST OF ALL MY DOCTORS and ONE OF ALL MY MEDICINES -Doses. insulin type and I carry this ON me at all times.

I always carry packages of cheese/peanut butter crackers in my purse. If your plane is delayed you will need to cover yourself food wise. Same for excursions - carry your own supply of food just to make sure of access. Carry small bag of candy - I use LifeSavers.

If I think of anything else, will write. I have been an insulin dependent for almost 45 years now and enjoy travel very much. So does my insulin dependent son (uses prefilled needles)Use common sense and enjoy. Good luck!

Archived