BA to Iguazu

CathyCruises

I am flying into BA to head down to Patagonia to meet up with DD; can anyone recommend the best way to "do" Iguazu on our own from BA? I am completely clueless, and I know for certain someone on these boards will have the perfect solution. This will be at the end of February. This year. No tickets. No hotels. No plans. Just starting, but I know this is the best place to start!

Thanks,

Cathy

Thanks for the tip. Is ground transportation out of the question? Any idea of airfare cost from BA to IF? I really want to do this if feasible and not outrageously expensive.

Cathy

Cathy, there is overnight sleeper bus service between BA and Iguazu. You can take either the Via Bariloche or Expreso Tigre Iguazu (now essentially the same company). Be sure to get the SuperCama (tutto letto) seats as those are fully reclining.

Airfare really varies. There are two main airlines which service Iguazu from Buenos Aires, but I recommend only Lan.com. Go to their website to check pricing.

Thanks for the info--I checked both the bus (cheap but long) and air (expensive but quick) options! Since this is only incidental to the main part of our trip I'm not sure I want to spend the $$$ or the time--I know it's said to be fabulous--we did a rain forest trip to Costa Rica less than a year ago, so I am wavering a bit. OTOH, who knows when I may get back to SA??

In any event thanks for the feedback!

Cathy

I have been on a Costa Rica rainforest tour as well. No comparison to Iguazu. Unbelievable!! The two of us did the BA to Iguazu trip return, one night at Sheraton, zodiac ride, transfers, meals for just a bit over $1200. Never will regret it. But thats us and its your decision.

• 2 weeks later...
I paid $337 USD on Aerolineas Argentina (round trip). My sister only paid $227 USD because she also flew AA internationally from Sydney, Australia.

It is 1 hour, 45 minutes one way by air.

You brought up a most interesting point: Can we get a better price from Rio to Iguazu by booking through AA at the same time that we book our flights from Tampa to Santiago, returning via Rio? Otherwise, the cheapest flights on TAM are $536 R/T, as of now.

I had that same thought. Tried looking at flites into Iguazu, and then leaving from Ushuaia, which is where we will end up on this adventure--it was slightly more expensive than booking in and out of BA and then adding on the one way flites at the beginning and end. But you can check!

It looks like we will probably just do r/t BA, then fly into Iguazu to meet up with DD, then ride the bus back to BA. One way flite on Lan is $173, bus is $71 but includes a bed, meals, wine, champagne and 'whisky'! One good point is that you don't have to pay for a hotel for that night!

I am still searching for a good, clean, cheap hostel-type accommodation in Iguazu if anyone has any ideas. I realize that a typical cruise customer has a different focus (and budget) than what we are doing on this trip (bought our backpacks yesterday!) but you can't cruise EVERY trip (or can you?). I promised DD that we would travel in her style and I am sticking to it.

Thanks!

Cathy

Archived