Just got off New Years Cruise...Spirit out of New Orleans

beachbooles

out of New Orleans we went to Costa Maya, Santo Tomas, Belize and Cozumel.

We had a blast, travelled with a 9 year old and 6 year old. We took shore excursions, partied every night and almost cried at disembarkation...

feel free to ask any questions!

Things we did:

Mayan Ruins

Cave Tubing

Las Escobas Waterfall

Atlantis Submarine

Heard the ship was showing its age. But i know it just go out of dry dock. Was it really re-done or just cleaned up. Thinking of doing this ship out of Boston this summer but after being on RC last year, don't want to be dissappointed. Please let us know how it was.

We're leaving on 2/22 going the same places. How was the Submarine excursion in Cozumel? We've heard very mixed reviews and we are debating whether we should do it or not. And which ruins did you do in Costa Maya? We're trying to decide which to do? We have a 9 yr old son and he wants to know if the kids club was fun? Was there alot of activities for your son to do?

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Things we did:

Mayan Ruins

Cave Tubing

Las Escobas Waterfall

Atlantis Submarine

Yippee!! So glad to read this. We were previously booked on an MSC cruise for spring break but the ship, which just arrived in FLL, just had a HORRIBLE transatlantic & 2-day cruise to Bahamas. I rebooked on the Spirit.

Anyway, who in your party did the cave tubing? I would think your kids were too young. If they DID go, how did they do in the caves, etc? Were they scared?

I've heard the amount of water at Las Escobas can vary depending on rainfall ... how was it for you?

out of New Orleans we went to Costa Maya, Santo Tomas, Belize and Cozumel.

We had a blast, travelled with a 9 year old and 6 year old. We took shore excursions, partied every night and almost cried at disembarkation...

feel free to ask any questions!

Things we did:

Mayan Ruins

Cave Tubing

Las Escobas Waterfall

Atlantis Submarine

I am also interested in how you liked cave tubing and the waterfalls. Who did you go through for both of them? We leave in 2 weeks and still don't know what we want to do and with who? Your input is anticipated. Thanks.

Heard the ship was showing its age. But i know it just go out of dry dock. Was it really re-done or just cleaned up. Thinking of doing this ship out of Boston this summer but after being on RC last year, don't want to be dissappointed. Please let us know how it was.

Thomarvin,

From what we noticed on the Spirit the week of Dec 21-28, 2008, it received all new carpet and reupholstered chairs in all of the public rooms including the Galaxy of the Stars Observation and Stardust Theater. This was very much needed from what we saw cruising her last Dec 07.

We enjoyed the following:

Costa Maya – relaxing day at private beach, good food, drinks and private scuba diving at Hotel Maya Luna.

Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala – tour of Rio Dulce Canyon/Livingston with Happy Fish. Great way to see a lot of how the actual local people live. The tour was long in time (kind of got boring). The town of Livingston was the highlight. Wait to book this tour in the port because they only charged us $35 p/p. Also Do Not Miss the ship sendoff at this port! The locals sing, dance and line-up the cars during this time. We have been too many ports and have never seen such a wonderful thing.

Belize City – unfortunately we were in Belize on Christmas day and most places were closed so we regrettably took the NCL shore excursion called Shark Ray Alley & Ambergris Caye. Without getting into details, this was the WORST SHORE EXCURSION we have ever taken. Let’s say, the 3 boats that attempted to take us on this excursion broke down…

Cozumel – rented a minivan and spent the morning at Palancar Beach Club and snorkeled at Columbia Shallows & Palancar Reef. Enjoyed a few magrarita’s and chips & salsa here also. Then it was off to Coconut’s for another round or two of margrarit’s, chips & salsa. Made it back in one piece to return rental car and make our way back on the cruise ship.

Kevin

Did they charge you the full 12.00 per day service charge for the kids??

NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009)

NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre- Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account: there is no charge for children under the age of three. (A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be effective on January 1, 2009)

The service charge for kids is as clear as mud with this statement.

One can read this at least two different ways. And, that is why the earlier poster asked about kid charges.

Is it $5 and $0 for under 3, or is it $12 for everyone. You can read it either way in the NCL statement.

The service charge for kids is as clear as mud with this statement.

One can read this at least two different ways. And, that is why the earlier poster asked about kid charges.

Is it $5 and $0 for under 3, or is it $12 for everyone. You can read it either way in the NCL statement.

My understanding is that under age 3 is no charge and after Jan 1, 2009 it will be $12 for children 3 - 12.

Thanks for the review! My wife and I will be leaving on the Spirit next week-- do you recall what the "theme nights" were? We like to go all-out if they have 50's night, 70's night, etc. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Thanks for the review! My wife and I will be leaving on the Spirit next week-- do you recall what the "theme nights" were? We like to go all-out if they have 50's night, 70's night, etc. Thanks for any info you can provide!

didn't seem tired to us. The toilets and showers were the only area that we thought seemed run down, but the carpets, furnishings, linens, railings, etc. were all great.

We're leaving on 2/22 going the same places. How was the Submarine excursion in Cozumel? We've heard very mixed reviews and we are debating whether we should do it or not. And which ruins did you do in Costa Maya? We're trying to decide which to do? We have a 9 yr old son and he wants to know if the kids club was fun? Was there alot of activities for your son to do?

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!!

We both dive, but kids don't. They snorkel (ages 6 and 9) they chose the submarine and LOVED it...the idea of going down 100 feet and seeing the change in colors and the fish and reef was amazing to them. They were not dissapointed, and truthfully, we enjoyed it too. The boat ride to the dive sight was pretty, the procedure to get us in and out of the sub was very organized and they treated everyone to screwdrivers once back on board the boat. We didn't partake but the passengers were very happy.

In costa Maya we did the Chacobaan? (sp) ruins, 3 - 4 hour tour. It is NOT geared for kids, but they enjoyed it and it was something completely different for them. My 9 year old enjoyed standing next to the guide and seeing everything up close. My 6 year old found it way cooler to check out the different nuts, rocks and leaves of the area as well as climb any ruins he could. The tour was short enough to return and swim and check out the tide pools by the dock. Note: we did this alone, the kids and I while my husband got a dive in. I felt safe the whole time and was very pleased.

kids club had activities they could do at different times. Both kids complained at first that they little kids (2-5) were the only ones going in the ball pit. However, we were just there at the wrong times. They finally got to get in there and never wanted to come back out. adults can not see the kids area or walk in, even to get the child after they are asleep. This is for their safety. I agreed, but it made me have to rely on the kids report to know what they did. Their favorite was the after hours group babysitting. They begged for it and we indulged while we partied....it made the mornings tough though, especially if you have an early excursion. My 9 year old is a girl and the little one a boy. it did help that they were in the same age group. I met a mom the last day that said her son didn't want to go without his older sister. I probably got lucky with them together this first time.

Yippee!! So glad to read this. We were previously booked on an MSC cruise for spring break but the ship, which just arrived in FLL, just had a HORRIBLE transatlantic & 2-day cruise to Bahamas. I rebooked on the Spirit.

Anyway, who in your party did the cave tubing? I would think your kids were too young. If they DID go, how did they do in the caves, etc? Were they scared?

I've heard the amount of water at Las Escobas can vary depending on rainfall ... how was it for you?

We ALL did the cave tubing...to this we had to book off the cruise. The downside is that you'll be behind all the cruise booked excursions, so although you save time not being "herded" you loose time getting off the ship. Real BUMMER. We didn't meet our guide until 945! I know cave tubing with little kids is controversial. We live on the water in Florida and the kids water ski and snorkel and have been fishing 25 miles offshore with us since they were tiny, so we knew they could handle this and so could we. We all wore life jackets and the river guide (separate from our tour guide) "chained" us together, arms over feet all in a row. He then pushed and guided us through any tricky parts. I saw the cruise ship tour go through with maybe 30 tubes and everyone loose and left to just follow the instructions without much physical help. I think that is one reason for the strict age limit. Also, keep in mind that tube could flip over in the darkness and anyone can panic and drown. It is not without risk, but again, we know our kids. I felt o.k. but I know some kids that should never try it. ours enjoyed it and were oohing and aahing the whole way. They were a bit chilly, but once we got in the sun it was fine. Hope that helps.

Las Escobas: We got lucky it had poured rain in guatemala the same morning of our hike. Our tour was not until noon or so. with the cloudy skies, it made for a cooler swim in the falls...although I wouldn't know how cold because only my 9 year old was brave enough to jump right in. After struggling against the current to actually reach the falls, someone gave her a much welcomed nudge so she could stand on a rock by there. Her grin was all the thanks they needed. There were about 12 cruise people in the falls. They rotate the groups so it's only your group at a time. 12 in the water but many out just watching or wading in the shallow water. Maybe 40 of us total? Note: on this hike I personally saw two people fall HARD. They slipped down some steps that go into the river. My son slipped once because he was moving too fast. (age 6) He recovered and ended up swimming too. I later heard about a lady that was REALLY scratching and bruised from another group. So, i guess one could get hurt on any of these treks.

We loved our trip and I hope you do too!

Any Questions?!?!?

Cmon... Write us up a full review!

You know, I tried to compose one in my head on the drive back home and there is just SO much information that I didn't even know where to start. I don't mind answering and, hey, I get to relive it through your questions and my answers. We had the best family vacation ever....i hope all of you do too!!

I am also interested in how you liked cave tubing and the waterfalls. Who did you go through for both of them? We leave in 2 weeks and still don't know what we want to do and with who? Your input is anticipated. Thanks.

We loved the variety of activities we did with the kids. They got to do a little of everything. I wouldn't change the activities if I had to do it over again.

Tubing: I don't recommend who we used: Action Boys. It wasn't the owner that took us, like i was led to believe and the guide had not done our tour for a long time. He also did not know or did not want to reveal the status of the zip line which had been shut down for ALL tours, cruise or or not. He was very nice and energetic but I know other people used other guides and some even had helmets in the cave, which was nice. these groups were more organized and prepared.

Waterfalls: we did it with the cruise. Guatemala is poor. I didn't talk to anyone that went without the cruise, but I know people did because there were guides there at the port. I even saw people that rode rental bikes up to the falls. I DO NOT recommend this. It seemed miserable. They were walking bikes through the mud. If I were to go again, having been there now, I would just take a taxi from the port up to the falls. Once you are at the falls there is an admission charge. It's a compound with only 1-2 families as vendors there. so, no locals can get in there. You are safe. They have guides there that are mandatory to take with you, even if you have a cruise guide. All this is included with your cruise booked excursion. We did give the local guide girl at the falls a tip. Santo Tomas is a poor area...

In Cozumel we finished the submarine early and instead of taking their offered (included in tour price) taxi back to port we went the other direction to Paradise Beach. It was crowded but the Margaritas, Salsa, Guacamole and Ceviche were AWESOME. For $10 a person, you can use the water trampolines, kayaks, snorkel gear and giant "iceburg" climber/water slide thing. We got the $10/band for each kid and we hung out on the chairs and umbrellas and enjoyed the food and drink. A great way to end a run of busy excursions!!

Did they charge you the full 12.00 per day service charge for the kids??

I just pulled out our Invoice (5 pages...we partied a lot!) and the charges were $5 each kid per day, so $10/day total for two kids. $10 each adult, so $30 per day for our family of 4.

Did you have a fridge in your cabin, if so, where was it placed? What Artemis products were provided? Glad to hear you had a blast!

Carol

No fridge in our inside cabin. Spirit is annoying in that they have NO balcony cabins that sleep 4, even though many people we met said there was plenty of room and a pull out bed my kids would have happily shared. I really missed the daylight to help wake up in the morning. The "cave" is great for sleeping in though. Not sure if the nicer cabins have fridges. No clue about Artemis products? Again, maybe it was our cabin grade. We were on deck 10 and a great location, but inside adn tight. Also, there is ONE bunk an the 4th was a bed they'd pull out every night from under another bed.

We were on the Dec. 7th and had Atlantis booked in Coz. through their web site, but it got cancelled due to wind/choppy water, so I am very curious as to your experience. Thanks, steve

Loved it, kids LOVED it and I can see why they would need to cancel if it's too rough and windy. You take one boat out to the sub, they sandwich the sub with another boat and your boat and you have to go down a steep ladder. give it a go next time!

We had a "White Hot party" one night, take white to wear. A "Toga" party another night in Maharinis. I think there was a dress up night, but I only heard that after the fact my husband said there was a note somewhere??? hmmmm. wonder what happened there! I know they had beatles songs another night somewhere, but I didn't go. Second City has a pure improve show the last sea day followed by the game quest. Lots of people had props for this game, extra bras, etc. funny game.... I'm sorry I didn't save my "daily" for the themes. it wasn't obvious I guess plus we had "new Years eve" which was it's own theme...

We ALL did the cave tubing...to this we had to book off the cruise. The downside is that you'll be behind all the cruise booked excursions, so although you save time not being "herded" you loose time getting off the ship. Real BUMMER. We didn't meet our guide until 945! I know cave tubing with little kids is controversial. We live on the water in Florida and the kids water ski and snorkel and have been fishing 25 miles offshore with us since they were tiny, so we knew they could handle this and so could we. We all wore life jackets and the river guide (separate from our tour guide) "chained" us together, arms over feet all in a row. He then pushed and guided us through any tricky parts. I saw the cruise ship tour go through with maybe 30 tubes and everyone loose and left to just follow the instructions without much physical help. I think that is one reason for the strict age limit. Also, keep in mind that tube could flip over in the darkness and anyone can panic and drown. It is not without risk, but again, we know our kids. I felt o.k. but I know some kids that should never try it. ours enjoyed it and were oohing and aahing the whole way. They were a bit chilly, but once we got in the sun it was fine. Hope that helps.

Las Escobas: We got lucky it had poured rain in guatemala the same morning of our hike. Our tour was not until noon or so. with the cloudy skies, it made for a cooler swim in the falls...although I wouldn't know how cold because only my 9 year old was brave enough to jump right in. After struggling against the current to actually reach the falls, someone gave her a much welcomed nudge so she could stand on a rock by there. Her grin was all the thanks they needed. There were about 12 cruise people in the falls. They rotate the groups so it's only your group at a time. 12 in the water but many out just watching or wading in the shallow water. Maybe 40 of us total? Note: on this hike I personally saw two people fall HARD. They slipped down some steps that go into the river. My son slipped once because he was moving too fast. (age 6) He recovered and ended up swimming too. I later heard about a lady that was REALLY scratching and bruised from another group. So, i guess one could get hurt on any of these treks.

We loved our trip and I hope you do too!

Thank you ... very helpful!

Archived