New Years on the Jewel

llachance

Jewel December 26th to January 4th

We were in a mini-suite on the 11th deck – half way between mid ship and aft. Quick walk upstairs to get coffee from the buffet.

Embarkation – we flew the day before and stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay. Nice stay and we would go back. Got the room on points so I can’t speak for the actual cost of the room. We had a bay view and saw our ship was in when we woke the next morning.

Embarkation a bit painful. Got there at 11:30. Porter quickly took our bags. Security was trying to examine boarding information and passports. Two people to do that and they were very thorough. Got in line for screening and one more examination of tickets/passports. Got into the latitudes line to check in it went fairly quickly but then we had to go into a line in the hallway because the upstairs was already filled up and they weren’t letting people on the ship yet. Finally got to go up the elevator and stand in yet another line to pick up the room key and then to sit in the chairs. Got in line to board and we were held up once again because they had to realign the gangway…but finally a hand cleansing and a glass of champagne – we were on the ship. Took a bit over an hour. (Sun this past March was about 20 minutes and Pride of America in May was about 15 just for comparison)

Headed immediately to the front desk to sign up for the “Behind the Scenes” tour (Mentioned in the daily, handed out as we boarded). At a cost of $55.00 person we got a run through the galley, laundry, back stage, the environmental section and the bridge. It lasted about 2 hours and was well worth the time I thought. Signing up was painful because the front desk wasn’t clear on what the program was about and how to sign up for it (showed them the daily)…It was explained, during the tour, that this was a test program and they weren’t sure if it was going to continue. Off to Tsars for lunch. Food was good but service wasn’t so! Decided it was first day jitters.

Found our cabin. Love the bath in a mini suite. Bed was very comfortable too. Found a broken drawer and when we pointed it out to our room steward he accused us of breaking it. Not a great way to start a relationship. Service the rest of the week was fine. Had towel animals 7 of the 9 nights but no cookies on the last night. Also, had an issue with Laundry that put a pall on the last evening. They had mixed up some of the laundry and our next neighbors were given the opportunity to sort through a big basket and find theirs. We received all our laundry back after 6:00 pm on the last night (makes it a bit difficult to pack) and received someone’s shorts – gave them to the room steward and hopefully the owner was found. Was told that our room steward also complained that we put our luggage in the wrong place the last night (we had placed it next to the wall next to our door) so I am not sure what that was about. It was a consensus that for the most part the crew was ready to argue with you about everything. I don’t think that the customer is always right but I certainly didn’t think I would ever be accused of breaking a drawer that was clearly broken before I got there.

Muster drill (painless we were in Tangos) and then met with some Cruise Critic friends in the Sky High Bar for sail away drinks. We sailed into the Miami sunset. Had dinner that night at Tsars. Service was ok and the food was very good. Went to sail away show and wasn’t that impressed and didn’t go to any of the other shows during the cruise. Luggage arrived later. Large suit case got an extra inspection. Never did figure out why! This was the first cruise in awhile that we didn’t bring liquor with us 

1st sea day and we were rockin and rollin. Rain off and on all day. Force 8 winds across the bow, seas of 7 to 8 feet made things interesting. Had our meet and greet. Had 45 requests for name tags and about 18 show up. The ship provided cookies, coffee and juice. The Hotel Director, the Cruise director and the Group Services director came and spoke for a few minutes. Answered a few questions and then we spent a bit of time just getting to know each other. We agreed to get back together on the last sea day to exchange pictures. Ate dinner at the buffet. It was good food and served at the right temperature.

Samana – tender port. We went to the Grand Hotel for a beach day. It was an NCL sponsored tour and included a buffet lunch and all the drinks you wanted. There was horseback riding and snorkeling for an additional fee. Only problem with the tour was the tour guide preaching to us on the ride back.

Tortola – walked off the ship and shopped in the local craft market until time for our tour. We went to Virgin Gorda. It was about a 35 minute via ferry both ways. We did an NCL sponsored tour again. Spent some time swimming and my husband walked through the caves that were there. It was a pleasant way to spend a few hours. When we got back we walked into town but since it was raining we headed back to the ship. Dinner was in Tsars again. Food was good service wasn’t so. The server demanded that we order our dessert when we ordered our dinner because “it took so long to make”. Left a less then pleasant taste in our mouths even though the food was fine.

Antigua – walked off the ship and met up with Lawrence of Antigua for a privately arranged tour. I can’t speak more highly of this excursion. We spent several hours seeing all the sights of Antigua (and there many beautiful sights) , saw Nelson’s Dockyard and then spent two hours at a beach swimming. Lawrence indicated that it was our day and he followed our lead. I would highly recommend him and if you are interested I can give more details of our trip. Dinner at Tsars and we had Oscar Ver as our waiter. Can’t go wrong with him! He wasn’t very talkative but service was precise, on time and presented very professionally. Again food was good to very good.

Barbados – walked off the ship to a waiting trolley to get to the Duty Free shopping area. This is where you catch buses for excursions. We walked into town but not much was open so walked back to the ship. Took an afternoon excursion, through NCL, that I was very disappointed with. It was described as a visit to a house, gardens and English tea. Maybe I was expecting too much but it was a self guided tour through a very nice house and then we were put at picnic tables out back for Lipton Tea and some snacks. Maybe, when I read about English Tea my expectations were a bit high but the English Couple that were on the tour were disappointed as well. On the way back we had to listen to 45 minutes of why we shouldn’t be in Barbados but home spending our money to boost our economy…I really don’t need anyone telling me how to spend my money and I guess I won’t visit Barbados again….Dinner again in Tsars and had Aesep as our waiter. Another one you can’t go wrong with.

St Lucia – went with Cosol as lots of folks do. Had an absolutely wonderful day. Be warned that the roads are very winding in St Lucia so you have to be wary of Car Sickness! Also, we took a water taxi to the swimming site so time on the beach was a bit limited overall highly recommended! Dinner was in the buffet and it was good again.

This cruise ended with two sea days. Dinner one night was in Cagney’s and it was very good. We ate dinner in Tangos the last night and it was good as well. Didn’t participate much in the goings on as I was happy to sit on my balcony and read!

Breakfast was in the buffet every day but one. Lunch was in the buffet or Blue Lagoon. Never had a problem finding something to eat. Indian food, in the buffet, was awesome (found the same on the Pride and on the Sun) Had Lattes every day.

Had drinks most evenings on Deck 6. Rina was an amazing bar tender! Band was 60280 and did a pretty good job…however, it usually happened that just as they got the crowd going it was time for them to move on. There was a guitarist, that by the end of the cruise, had developed a niche and was good to listen to. Just seemed that things were very disjointed and didn’t move smoothly from event to event in the evening. Also, it may have just been me but the cruise director’s staff but one were virtually invisible in the evenings…with their enthusiasm they may have been able to keep things flowing if they were available. Didn’t participate in Bingo, spent the money for the week long spa pass which was heaven because of the number of kids on board (supposed to have been about 700).

New Year’s Eve was great fun. The party was on the pool deck. The cruise line provided Champagne and party favors although we were all in agreement that the champagne that we got as we boarded the ship tasted a lot better then what they served at midnight!

This cruise wasn’t an amazing cruise but it was certainly a good cruise. For the right price and the right itinerary I would certainly sail with them again.

Thanks for the review! We will be on the Jewel in less than two weeks :D

Headed immediately to the front desk to sign up for the “Behind the Scenes” tour (Mentioned in the daily, handed out as we boarded). At a cost of $55.00 person we got a run through the galley, laundry, back stage, the environmental section and the bridge. It lasted about 2 hours and was well worth the time I thought.

This really intrigues me. I hope the trial is at least continuing all month. I need to spend up some of the OBC, you know :p Should end up with $370-ish OBC

Archived