When Does RCI Reduce Prices????

I'm sailing in January and my final payment date already passed. When I check on Travelocity, it seems like there are tons of cabins in all categories still available. I've been hoping to purchase a reduced price upgrade, but so far RCI has only INCREASED the price of the lower category cabins and left the suite prices alone. I would have thought they would reduce prices since there are so many cabins available. Does anybody know how RCI handles ships that aren't full???

My guess is that they have a complicated computer program that decides on price drops, based on percent unsold in grade and number of days till sailing, etc. I think the only thig to do is to keep checking. If embarkation day arrives with a lot of unsold cabins, that could mean a chance for a great deal on a pier upgrade.

Last year we booked Carnival Inspiration 3 months before our Dec. cruise. We booked the Inspiration because RCCL's Nordic Empress was higher and the Inspiration gave us an extra port in Costa Maya. Well TWO WEEKS before our cruise RCCL dropped their price on Nordic Empress. For the price of an oceanview on Inspiration we could have got a suite on Nordic Empress.

You just never know though. We wanted to cruise Mariner of the Seas this fall but waited on booking it. If we had booked in FEB we could had got a decent deal but we waited until June and the prices was out of sight. So we ended up booking her for next year. (Oct. 2005)

Archived