What to do in Rhodes?

Our cruise next summer has a full-day stop in Rhodes, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to spend the day. It seems like there is so much to do!

I'd like to spend at least a few hours seeing the Old Town, which I think we can easily do on our own by just exploring on our own.

Other than that... Lindos seems to be a great place, but is it really worth the time wasted to get there and back?

I know there are a lot of great beaches on the island, and thought maybe this would be a nice, relaxing way to spend the rest of the day. Has anyone ever taken the local bus to the beach? Seems cost-effective, and possibly easy? Or is there a nice beach walking distance from the port?

We're willing to do a formal excursion if it's really worth it, but this also seems like a place do-able on your own. Any thoughts on Rhodes are appreciated!!

We did an independent jeep safari that did go to Lindos although we didn't go up the acropolis. But our guide took us to some off the beaten path places. Great day. And then we had a few hours for Old Town. You dock a 5 minute walk away.

You are wrestling with the same questions we had when planning our September 2008 visit. As eh2zed points out, you dock right by the Old Town, so we thought we'd spend our morning exploring there and our afternoon at the beach. You're right that you can cover the Old Town easily on your own. (We read up ahead of time with Fodor's guidebook.)

We also considered a trip to Lindos, but because our cruise was coming from the port near Ephesus, and going to both the port for Olympia and ending in Athens, we decided it would be simply too hot to take the long ride to and from Lindos and then the long walk up for the view.

Anyway, we ended up spending much more time than expected in the Old Town, visiting the synagogue and its museum, the Grand Masters' House, and archaeological museum, among other pleasant stops, that we ended up going back to the ship and lounging by the pool, being too lazy to again leave the ship in our swimming togs to hit the beach. (We ended up going to the beach at Milos.) I truly believe that if it had not been so warm, we would have made a bit more effort to get to the beach.

I know there are a lot of great beaches on the island, and thought maybe this would be a nice, relaxing way to spend the rest of the day. Has anyone ever taken the local bus to the beach? Seems cost-effective, and possibly easy? Or is there a nice beach walking distance from the port?

After walking the old town we went to Elli Beach. After you leave the pier area turn right and walk around the harbor next to the old town to Elli Beach which is right next to the aquarium. It is a very stony beach where the Med and Aagean meet. It is beautiful and the stones are unusual but not a place to lay on a towel and I did not see any sun beds.

Take a pass on going to Lindos. Nice views from the top of the Acropolis but it was disappointing. There are a few ruins and the temple has been recreated. We are sorry we took the tour because we loved the Old Town and should have spent the whole day there instead. Walk the Street of the Knights and visit the Palace of the Grand Masters.

Archived