Train Keelung to Taipei

Miss Jolly

Our family of 4 will be on Diamond Princess in April and would like to keep the costs down for our sightseeing. We are used to independent sightseeing and have previously caught the train from port in places like Berlin, Rome etc.

I have read mixed reports on the train from Keelung to Taipei and wonder if it is a viable proposition for our family. We will be there Saturday 25th April 7:00am-6:00pm.

I would welcome any thoughts/advice on this idea.:)

Jen

Our family of 4 will be on Diamond Princess in April and would like to keep the costs down for our sightseeing. We are used to independent sightseeing and have previously caught the train from port in places like Berlin, Rome etc.

I have read mixed reports on the train from Keelung to Taipei and wonder if it is a viable proposition for our family. We will be there Saturday 25th April 7:00am-6:00pm.

Jen

We did a tour with Princess to the Longshan Buddhist Temple and the Chiang Kai Shek memorial with Princess in November 2007 ,but since we had no interest in Taipei 101, we spent the afternoon by ourselves and caught the train to Keelung from the main railway station. We had assistance getting to the right queue, but once we got our tickets which were very affordable ,we boarded the train for the half hour trip with no problems. There were seats available and the train was airconditioned. Keelung is the last stop so you can't miss it and it was about a ten minute walk to the ship. From memory I think you walk up over an overpass but keep left because the ship which you can't miss is on the left. Very easy and interesting.:)

We did a tour with Princess to the Longshan Buddhist Temple and the Chiang Kai Shek memorial with Princess in November 2007 ,but since we had no interest in Taipei 101, we spent the afternoon by ourselves and caught the train to Keelung from the main railway station. We had assistance getting to the right queue, but once we got our tickets which were very affordable ,we boarded the train for the half hour trip with no problems. There were seats available and the train was airconditioned. Keelung is the last stop so you can't miss it and it was about a ten minute walk to the ship. From memory I think you walk up over an overpass but keep left because the ship which you can't miss is on the left. Very easy and interesting.:)

What was the name of the main railway station please?

What was the name of the main railway station please?

Hi Miss Jolly,

I had to check my journal for the details. We caught the MRT to Taipei Central Railway station. The Information staff were very helpful and they gave us the assistance about which tickets and which queue. It cost us $NT87 one way which is all you needed. We visited the Tapei City Mall and wandered around the town looking at other places. Shops in Taiwan tend to close at noon for a lunch break and we saw people dozing in chairs during this time while in the City Mall which is very, very long!!

We caught the train at 4:16pm from Platform 4B. I wrote down that it took us an hour to get to Keelung under rainy skies. I know that it didn't seem that long when you are people watching and looking outside. I remember having a seat the whole trip. Hope this helps.:)

Thank you Montelco. You have restored my faith in this idea. It will certainly be far less expensive for our family of four to catch the train rather than take the ship's expensive transfer.

Let us know what you think of Taiwan. We quite enjoyed Taipei. It was different to the other places we visited. We wouldn't mind returning one day. Where else does the Diamond Princess go to?:)

• 3 weeks later...

Jen

We are in port with the Diamond Princess on 24 March and will be taking the train to Taipei.

Will post how we get on.

John

We are in port with the Diamond Princess on 24 March and will be taking the train to Taipei.

Will post how we get on.

John

Fantasic, I look forward to hearing about it. When do you return? We fly out April 9 so I am hoping to hear about it before then.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Yes, I know I am running a bit behind here, with a lot of people already on the way, but...

I am looking for 8 other people to join us on a Nha Trang river tour. It's $30 each if there are 10 of us. Non-smokers only please. Check the web-site

http://www.nhatrangrivertour.com under cruise critic Nha Trang Tours Tour 2.

Port of call: Nha Trang Tour 2: Nha Trang River Tour

9:00 pick-up from the port, then tour around by private car and boat . The first stop of the tour is an embroidery factory and then visit PoNagar Temples. An outstanding example of Cham architecture, situated on Mount Cu Lao this hillside offers panoramic views of the surrounding. From here board the riverboat for the leisurely cruise. Travel down the Cai River to observe the peaceful life of the villages along Nha Trang waterway. Tourists can enjoy coconut milk on coconut island and visit a wide range of local handicrafts in production, tourists can enjoy the beautiful scenery that unfolds along the banks, experience and make acquaintance with local people in their natural scenery & daily life such as:

Rush mat weaving: Sedge mat is popular to all people in tropical weather. Tourists can try weaving.

Ancient house: visit a family and see a typical Vietnamese country house with your own eyes an ancestors' shrine, a kitchen. Enjoy fruits and green tea.

How is different between swimming in the river and in the sea, why not try ? A sumptuous lunch is at a riverside restaurant.

A visit to Dam Market for shopping .

15:00 Drop-off at the port. An unforgettable cultural experience. End of service

Dung said he already has 5 other tours going that day!!! Oh well, the more the merrier.

Contact me at rgtrys@gmail.com

Thanks,

Rose

Two weeks today we are at sea! YAAAY!

Hi folks,

Does anyone have an email that works for Kagoshima tours? I want to do the half day Sakurajima tour, but no luck and I want to phone only as a LAST resort.

Also, has anyone else booked a tour with Edison tours /Taiwan Tourbus? Just wondering if I should try one of the other sites on the Taiwan web-site.

Thanks for the help,

Rose

Fantasic, I look forward to hearing about it. When do you return? We fly out April 9 so I am hoping to hear about it before then.

Train or bus to Taipei is easy. There will be a information desk in the tent as you get off the boat, who will give you all information times and maps.

There is an english speaking booth at the train ticket counter, tickets are very cheap, the train takes 50 minutes. The train will take you to Taipei main station where you can connect to the MRT - very very cheap.

We used a combination of MRT and taxi where the MRT did not go directly to where we wanted.

Have a good trip,

John

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived