Pacific Dawn late in tomorrow

Update ... 2.25pm

Wife texted again to say:

"Expect to enter heads 3:15pm with 2 tractor tugs. Lots of unhappy passengers. Ship has stopped ... Oops"

Could the ship have come to a "nearly stop" to let pilot on???:confused:

Or would this have been to early??:o

not good,she might have propeller shaft problems,or the blades hit something?2 tugs? maybe the bow and stern thrusters are the problem?her the generators seem to be working,hope the crankshaft has not gone..otherwise that's a big job.... and shes crawling in so they may have shut down one of her two engines. she has twin engines and propellers as well. :eek: that's my thoughts.

cheers matt

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we experienced a propulsion problem on this ship during a 2007 cruise from Los Angeles to Sydney. The ship was still the Regal Princess at that time ... it was actually the final voyage of the ship as Regal Princess before it went off to Singapore for a refit and a name change to Pacific Dawn. The problem was a failure with the control system of one of the two electric propulsion motors which resulted in an inability to run the motor at full speed. From memory we couldn't go any faster than about 14 to 16 Knots. The problem was fixed when we berthed in Auckland and no further problems were experienced on the remainder on the voyage despite some very significant heavy weather.

My wife tells me that this is exactly the same problem ... an electrical problem with one of the two propulsion motors. If the problem is indeed the same then I have no doubt that it will be fixed quickly and efficiently and that the ship will depart in the early hours of tomorrow morning without further incident.

My wife also tells me that despite the frustrations of passengers, the crew have been magnificent ... with many putting in an extraordinary number of hours without a break.

Hi all. I hope its not to major and that the next cruise can get under way soon.

I hope its nothing more than a propeller. If the crankshaft has gone that would mean

time ot out of service. (dry dock) I hope it does not come to this.

I think I can confidently say that it's not a propellor or a crankshaft ... it's an elecrical problem. The diesel engines on these ships don't drive the props directly ... they simply generate electricity which is then used to power everything from the refrigeration to the propulsion motors. In this case there is a problem in the control system of one of the two electric propulsion motors.

Archived