Getting around without a car

50thBdayCruise

We're doing Hawaii on POA, leaving March 7th, for my 50th birthday. This is our first cruise and first time to Hawaii. We've chosen to use NCL's tours every day rather than renting a car. But one problem we've noticed is that the tours are typically for just a few hours, then you're back to the port and then what do you do? We don't want to waste our time in port on the boat.

Most days, our itinerary isn't too bad. But our first day in Maui we have an early morning whale watch excursion then we don't have anything else scheduled until a 4 pm trip to Haleakala. What would you suggest doing with the 5 hours we have to kill during the day? I know there are shuttles to Wal-Mart, etc., for cheap shopping, but is there any way to do any sightseeing without renting a car?

I'd like to see the Iao Needle. Since it's not far from the port, I'm wondering if a taxi would be just about as good and a better use of our time then trying to rent a car for 5 hours. Anybody have experience with taxis on Maui, specifically arranging for pickup at a specific time?

Also looking for suggestion of things we can do at each port for a couple of hours, either by taxi or walking.

Thanks. We are so excited about this trip...

Donna

Hi Donna,

Finally someone on the same cruise as me! This is also our 1st time in Hawaii. Although we are doing different activities on Maui then you, we had to find transportation there as well. Day 1 we are going to Lahaina by way of the Maui Bus. We plan on sightseeing in that town until the evening when we will attend the Old Lahaina Luau. We booked a ride back on a shuttle from a company call Maui Executive Transportation. I'm attaching the web site for the bus where you can see a route map. It's only $1 for each boarding. I hope this is helpful.

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.asp?NID=609

Teri

Hi Donna,

In Maui, you arrive in Kahauli and really there isn't much to do there from my experience working on the Norwegian Star in the Hawaiian Islands. You are right in saying that there are shuttles to Walmart and to one of the shopping malls, but who wants to be in a Mall when you are in paradise??? lol . Your best bet may be to enjoy the ship for a few hours to be honest. I would suggest going into Lahaina, but it is a good solid hour to get there (there normally is a bus from the ship that goes to and from Lahaina) and another hour to get back to the port in Kahauli. Visiting Iao Needle & Valley is very nice and not far from port. If I remember correctly it was between $15 - $20 cab ride one way. However, you will need to tell your cab when to come and pick you up, as when we were there there was one pay phone in the area and it wasn't working. Another place to look into is taking a cab to is the small hippy like town called Paia.... there is a lovely beach there and there is also a windsurfers beach where you can watch the windsurfers and kitesurfers. It is a famous beach where they film alot of windsurfing and kitsurfing videos. I can't remember for the life of me how much the cab ride was, but again you have to make sure you tell your cab driver when and where you will meet him. Just make sure you leave plenty of time to get back.

In terms of wandering around in other ports, Nawilwili is easy (on Kauai). If you get off the ship and cut through Nawilwili Park and pass by the small shopping strip, you will get to the beach that the Marriott guests use. We used to go there and use the beach all the time! There is a small indoor/outdoor restuaurant called Duke's which is nice and I believe you can rent watersports equipment at the beach. The water is very calm and nice for swimming! If you walk past the resort and up around the cliff you can walk to Kauai Lagoons Golf Club. There are some great views and very pretty homes along the way. This port is easy to hit the beach and walk around on your own without having to walk too far. On a side note about Kauai, if you can afford to do the helicopter ride, do it! I was smiling for a week after that excursion. It was expensive, but I know that I will never experience something like that ever again. If you do decide to go, do it in the late morning (apparently around 10:00am - 11:30am) before it gets too hot and after the sun burns off any fog.

Hilo is very also another tricky one. The pier is far from anything.... there used to be a small rickety shuttle bus that for a small fee would take you to downtown Hilo. In Hilo there are a few little shops, a Tsunami musem, the library, a few banyan trees, and a great place that serves amazing breakfast called Bear's. It's a little hard to find and a little hole in the wall, but their fresh fruit and granola are very yummy! I think the gardens are not too far either, but I'm not entirely positive! The Big Island is lovely and there are so many excursions to the volcanoes and snorkeling on black sand beaches (but I would save the beach thing Kona). This is definately a port where I would make arrangements for an excursion.

Kona is very lovely and I know that downtown is close and very pretty to walk around. Again with little shops and markets along the way. There was a time where we would pick up a shuttle bus from a small hotel across the street that would take us to "Turtle Bay" where there is stip of hotels all along black sand & lava rock beaches and there were so many sea turtles!!! It wasn't too far from the port, but it may be worth looking into! There is alot of sun in Kona, so if you have watershoes, bring them! The black sand and lava rock on the feet is very very hot!

If you ever decide to rent a car in port, book it before you leave! It is very hard to rent a car the day of in Hawaii! If you do decide to rent a car in Maui, try and drive a bit of the Road to Hana, it is beautiful!

Hopefully some of this information helps!

Cheers!

Archived