Potential First Time Cruiser Here!

Ashleyyy

Hi all,

My husband and I are contemplating booking the Carnival Victory - Southern Caribbean Cruise for December 13th - 20th, 2009. It's departs from San Juan, Puerto Rico. If we decide to book, it'll be both of our first time cruising. We are newlyweds, well no lol, not really anymore I guess. We had our first anniversary on December 21st, 2008.

We will both be 22 before the sail date and are fairly active. We like to go out, dance, shop, snorkel, swim, drink, etc. But being the obsessive compulsive worrier that I am, I can't help but be worried that cruising isn't for us. For our first anniversary (December 2008) we went to Puerto Vallarta and stayed at an all inclusive resort (Dreams Resort & Spa) and LOVED it.

Has anyone been on the Victory ship? What did you like about it? What did you not like about it? How was the food? Was there a lot of "hidden costs"? Service? Entertainment? How was getting on and off the ship? How should we go about smuggling alcohol ;)? Any recommended excursions?

We're planning on getting the inside cabin, I figure we won't be spending that much time in it so why spend the extra money.

Any other tips for first timers, would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS,

Ashley

I would suggest finding a cruise out of Seattle or Vancuover that is 3 or 4 nights. You can check the lines there and see if they have some during the spring. I know they do. Do a short one first and see what you think. My first one was a three nighter and you can look at my siggy and see what happened...LOL.....

And more cruises to come......

Most of the cruises that leave Seattle or Vancouver go to Alaska, Canada or California. I'm not so interested in Alaska and I've been to Canada and California one too many times. I'd just assume take the plunge and see what I really want to see, The Caribbean. ;) Plus another vacation this year is near impossible for us. Just got back from Mexico, going to visit family in Hawaii and then wherever in December 2009. :D

I would suggest finding a cruise out of Seattle or Vancuover that is 3 or 4 nights. You can check the lines there and see if they have some during the spring. I know they do. Do a short one first and see what you think. My first one was a three nighter and you can look at my siggy and see what happened...LOL.....

And more cruises to come......

When we booked our first cruise, I was sure I had made a mistake! I thought I would be bored. I was SO wrong.

The itinerary you have chosen is port intensive, and there is zero chance you would be bored, that is for sure. If you have always wanted to experience the Caribbean, you have chosen exactly the right one.

My advice is to go. You won't know if you like it if you don't try it!

Have a wonderful first cruise, we'll see you back here when you have booked your 2nd, 3rd... :D

Hi all,

My husband and I are contemplating booking the Carnival Victory - Southern Caribbean Cruise for December 13th - 20th, 2009. It's departs from San Juan, Puerto Rico. If we decide to book, it'll be both of our first time cruising. We are newlyweds, well no lol, not really anymore I guess. We had our first anniversary on December 21st, 2008.

We will both be 22 before the sail date and are fairly active. We like to go out, dance, shop, snorkel, swim, drink, etc. But being the obsessive compulsive worrier that I am, I can't help but be worried that cruising isn't for us. For our first anniversary (December 2008) we went to Puerto Vallarta and stayed at an all inclusive resort (Dreams Resort & Spa) and LOVED it.

Has anyone been on the Victory ship? What did you like about it? What did you not like about it? How was the food? Was there a lot of "hidden costs"? Service? Entertainment? How was getting on and off the ship? How should we go about smuggling alcohol ;)? Any recommended excursions?

We're planning on getting the inside cabin, I figure we won't be spending that much time in it so why spend the extra money.

Any other tips for first timers, would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS,

Ashley

My DH and I decided to give cruising a chance so we opted for a 5-day Western Caribbean cruise. 70,000 ton ship and a 'patch' behind my ear JUST IN CASE. ( I get motion sick just watching a boat tied to a dock!) ha Anyway, we went with our closest friends and had the time of our lives. As you can see... I am definately hooked completely! I just wish we could afford to go more often.

We have not tried Victory but have been on other ships the same size. We prefer balcony cabins because even if you don't spend time in your room... there is NOTHING like drinking your first cup of coffee as the sun is rising while lounging on your deck. Or having your own 'quiet' place to sit and relax and watch (and hear!) the blue-teal waves underneath you. But best of all... sitting on the balcony late at night with your husband and getting quite 'cozy'... ummmm Nothing's better!

So I say ''Go for it'' atleast once! There will be so much to do and see. PS... the motion patch behind my ear went bye-bye as it made me extremely ill. :( I do have to wear the 'sea-bands' and take plenty of Bonine just in case. Would NOT GIVE UP cruising for sea-sickness. Love it too much! (hope this helped you some!)

1) We like to go out, dance, shop, snorkel, swim, drink, etc. 2) Has anyone been on the Victory ship? 3) Was there a lot of "hidden costs"? Service? Entertainment? Ashley

1) You sort of answered your own question. :eek: Cruises offer dancing, shopping (in foreign ports) snorkeling (if you choose) swimming and lots of opportunities to drink.

2) Of course someone has been on the victory (Hint: read the reveiws for the ship) :cool:

3) Extra costs are liquor, excursions, shopping, tips and supper clubs instead of dinning room (if you choose). All these are directly controlled by you except the tips.

Hi all,

But being the obsessive compulsive worrier that I am, I can't help but be worried that cruising isn't for us.

Ashley

This.....Is why I mentioned trying a short one. But, oh what the hey.....Take a 7 nighter on a port intensive cruise out of SJ for your first cruise ....Why not do a less port intensive cruise say...Out of Tampa, FLL or Miami ?

Most of the cruises that leave Seattle or Vancouver go to Alaska, Canada or California. I'm not so interested in Alaska and I've been to Canada and California one too many times. I'd just assume take the plunge and see what I really want to see, The Caribbean. ;) Plus another vacation this year is near impossible for us. Just got back from Mexico, going to visit family in Hawaii and then wherever in December 2009. :D

.....I'd go to Alaska. That was my first cruise and probably the best one yet. You will be amazed at what you will see and what you can do. We took a helicopter ride out to a glacier and walked around for about an hour.

:D

wasiii

Congratulations!! You found Cruise Critic BEFORE your first cruise!! :D This is very good....If you just read here and there throughout the boards you will find all you need to reassure you that you will probably love cruising. You won't be bored on Carnival (that's a great line for a young person) and I would wager that after you take your first cruise, you will come back addicted like most of the rest of us are.

(I would definitely choose the Caribbean over Alaska for you. Being in Seattle, I would assume you want LOTS of sunshine when you go on vacation :)...also, short cruises are Ok, but the 7 or 8 day cruise are always better)

I have been on the Victory 2X. It is a very nice ship, and a great crew. You will love cruising! I love their pizza. The dining room food is very good. I have done the Southern Caribbean itenerary on Royal Caribbean's Adventure Of The Seas. It was the best cruise ever and the Ports we stopped at were amazing! I agree with getting a balcony.

I just finished my first cruise. We are now saving money to travel to one place and stay in an all inclusive instead of cruising. Cruising for us was okay but I loved the port days much more. I would have loved to stay a couple of days at any of the ports. Much more enjoyable than the cruise days at sea. There were a lot of activities but not a lot that appealed to us. We tried them but were not overly excited.

Even though it is your first cruise I would stick with a 7 day so you do have those port days to love just in case you don't fall in love with the cruise.

For vacation I liked not having to dress up for dinner. I like laying on the sand. I like hanging out at the pool. By the way the pools on the Conquest closed so early.

I don't regret going on the cruise and would do it again if the price was really great but did enjoy the port days more. There just wasn't enough time in port. Give me a cruise that they stay two days and one night at a port and I am on that cruise.

Robin

I just finished my first cruise. We are now saving money to travel to one place and stay in an all inclusive instead of cruising. Cruising for us was okay but I loved the port days much more. I would have loved to stay a couple of days at any of the ports. Much more enjoyable than the cruise days at sea. There were a lot of activities but not a lot that appealed to us. We tried them but were not overly excited.

Even though it is your first cruise I would stick with a 7 day so you do have those port days to love just in case you don't fall in love with the cruise.

For vacation I liked not having to dress up for dinner. I like laying on the sand. I like hanging out at the pool. By the way the pools on the Conquest closed so early.

I don't regret going on the cruise and would do it again if the price was really great but did enjoy the port days more. There just wasn't enough time in port. Give me a cruise that they stay two days and one night at a port and I am on that cruise.

Robin

These exist you just have to search hard to find them.

Thanks! I think we will book it and I found out that there is a huge cruise line show at the convention center this weekend! :D I'm looking forward to that!

When we booked our first cruise, I was sure I had made a mistake! I thought I would be bored. I was SO wrong.

The itinerary you have chosen is port intensive, and there is zero chance you would be bored, that is for sure. If you have always wanted to experience the Caribbean, you have chosen exactly the right one.

My advice is to go. You won't know if you like it if you don't try it!

Have a wonderful first cruise, we'll see you back here when you have booked your 2nd, 3rd... :D

I guess I figure that if I'm going to spend the money in traveling across the country, that I might as well do the one I want. I've always wanted to see the Caribbean. I've only gotten as far as Florida. :rolleyes:

This.....Is why I mentioned trying a short one. But, oh what the hey.....Take a 7 nighter on a port intensive cruise out of SJ for your first cruise ....Why not do a less port intensive cruise say...Out of Tampa, FLL or Miami ?

I'm sure I'll go to Alaska one day... but the whole reason for cruising this year is to go in December for our wedding anniversary. Alaska bound cruises do not run in December. And I like to escape the cold here in Seattle. :)

.....I'd go to Alaska. That was my first cruise and probably the best one yet. You will be amazed at what you will see and what you can do. We took a helicopter ride out to a glacier and walked around for about an hour.

:D

wasiii

My TA told me about this site! I'm glad I found it! And yes!! We want lots of warm weather! It's nice to escape the cold. :D

Congratulations!! You found Cruise Critic BEFORE your first cruise!! :D This is very good....If you just read here and there throughout the boards you will find all you need to reassure you that you will probably love cruising. You won't be bored on Carnival (that's a great line for a young person) and I would wager that after you take your first cruise, you will come back addicted like most of the rest of us are.

(I would definitely choose the Caribbean over Alaska for you. Being in Seattle, I would assume you want LOTS of sunshine when you go on vacation :)...also, short cruises are Ok, but the 7 or 8 day cruise are always better)

I think you have chosen the best itinerary for a first cruise.....port intensive...

I won't say you won't get bored because I don't know you. If you are looking for beautiful islands you will love this cruise. I tend to look for the cruises with the most ports when I cruise because I do tend to get bored on the sea days.....

Good luck and report back:)

I guess I figure that if I'm going to spend the money in traveling across the country, that I might as well do the one I want. I've always wanted to see the Caribbean. I've only gotten as far as Florida. :rolleyes:

The Southern Caribbean has some of the most beautiful islands without a doubt. What a wonderful choice for a first cruise!!

But be warned.....for 99% of us, once you've cruised you won't be able to stop with just one cruise. Like us you will be a "cruise addict" saving up for your next "cruise fix"....:D

Happy Sailing

I think you have chosen the best itinerary for a first cruise.....port intensive...

I won't say you won't get bored because I don't know you. If you are looking for beautiful islands you will love this cruise. I tend to look for the cruises with the most ports when I cruise because I do tend to get bored on the sea days.....

Good luck and report back:)

I totally agree with this - I would say this is a great choice for a first time cruiser, because you can literally do as much or as little as you'd like. If you want to go out and explore a port? You can. Feeling like lounging around during the day? You can do that too. At night the ship turns into your hotel, keeping you dancing and drinking to your hearts content until the ship docks the next morning.

If you are going to have to fly to a port anyway, this is a good one to fly to. We almost chose this itinerary for our upcoming cruise (the one in 10 days), but ended up switching ships when the cost of flying became cost prohibitive. of course now, prices are more reasonable again, but whatcha gonna do? ;)

Have a great vacation, whatever you decide. And welcome to cruise critic :)

We did the Southern Caribbean last year on the Crown Princess out of San Juan-Awesome-nice ports, warm weather, nice beaches and snorkeling, great shows and food-cant be a better way to celebrate your anniversary. Also have done Alaska which also was awesome-Alaska is more of an "awe "inspiring trip-Go to the Southern Caribbean and after you get "addicted" to the cruise bug you are in the perfect place to do Alaska

Have fun

Be prepared....Yep..... You will be addicted.....

If you want a lot of excitement, go go go all the time, then this itinerary is great. If you like to mix in some R&R, then pick an itinerary with less ports.

Personally, I enjoy the days at sea just as much as port days because you virtually have no schedule, except for eating, and of course the 'Newlywed wrestling matches" anytime throughout the day. These days can be as relaxing as you want, or intense with consistent daily activities. You don't seem to spend much money these days either.

My favorite itinerary so far was an 8 day cruise, 3 ports (St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia) and 4 at sea days. VERY relaxing with two exceptional ports (St. Kitts was OK).

As far as Alaska......I am going to wait until I want to wear a sweater all week. I figure in about 15 or 20 years I will finally book one.

And yes, smuggle some booze / beer. There are many threads on that.

Good choice with Carnival. There are deck parties and all kinds of activities for kids your age. I have been on the Victory, and she is a good ship.

If you can afford a balcony, go for it. The best room is always the cheapest....however once you have a balcony, it can be hard to book interior. I have booked all three, depending on the itinerary. If there are a lot of ports, I will book inside. If I am on an 8 day with 4 at sea days, then it is a balcony for sure.

I have simply had no interest in an all inclusive as the cruise bug bit me.....

Congrats...... Have fun.....

Cheers!

We are booked on this cruise on 2/8/09. I'll try to remember to do a write-up (just researching now). I took my first cruise when I was 22 - it was a 7 day on Carnival out of Puerto Rico with 5 islands. As you can see from my signature, I really enjoy cruising (even though I went through a time in my 20s where I was saving for a house and didn't cruise for 7 years.) This will be my 7th cruise in 10 years! All but 2 so far have been inside cabins. Save you money, especially on this cruise. You won't be in your room much, even married 2 years :) .

You've picked a great one, even though I haven't gone yet.

Archived