Wheelchairs on RCI Rhapsody

Cruzbw

Hi guys.

My friend is going on the Rhapsody and uses a walker. She would like to use a chair for some times on ship. Does the ship have wheelchairs to use for a short while? Are these in short supply, such that they should reserve when we board? Also, if they have chairs, will RCI let us take the chair off the ship to the port areas? (It may be the ship chairs are not good on the road.) They are going to Key West, Cozumel, and Cayman. Thanks much for your help.

Bill

On the Rhapsody, wheelchairs are available for embarkation and debarkation, but you are not allowed to reserve/keep the ship wheelchairs for use onboard the ship. If there is an emergency or accident, then they may allow you, but for general use, they do not furnish these. You are not allowed to take the ship wheelchairs off the ship at the ports.

Your friend could rent a wheelchair and bring it onboard with her. We found a wheelchair to be especially helpful for Key West as we toured on our own due to the time period that the Rhapsody is in Key West.

Kathy

Guest cruzr44

My mom needs a wheelchair and we didn't want to have to bring it from home. RC gave me the name of a company "Care Vacations" where we are renting a chair for the week. It will be waiting in the stateroom and we just leave it there for the company to pick up. It is $95 for the week. The phone # is 1-877-478-7827

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever had one of the handicap rooms? I am wondering what the difference is. I have booked a balcony handicap room and would like to know if the balcony is larger than a reg. balcony and will it allow for a wheelchair.

Thanks for the help.

Guest cruzr44

My parents had 7110 on the Radiance and the balcony was definitely big enough for a wheelchair. There are other HC balconies that were as long, but not as deep. If you have a brochure you can see what I mean.

We didn't have any problems with the wheelchair and carpet.

Wheelchair accessible cabins usually have the following features:

ADA height toilet

Roll-in shower with either wall mounted seat or a separate shower seat

Wider doors to cabin and bathroom which will allow a wheelchair or scooter to pass

Bathroom either level with the room floor, or ramped. Most cabins have a 4-6" step up into the bathroom.

More space inside the cabin to get around in a wheelchair

Some have modified closets, light switches you can reach from the bed, lower drawers, etc. but this varies.

Archived