Embarkation Lunch on Golden

karatemom2

Princess did not make a "big deal". The mention of "Embarkation Lunch" is one sentence (less than one line) in a long news release about New "Disembarkation" enhancements. But some on this forum seem to be totally obsessed that to enjoy their cruise, they should insist on their Embarkation Lunch in the Dining Room -- otherwise their whole cruise is ruined. They will go to the trouble to print out the news release, thrust it front of the crew member at the dining room entrance, and then love to post here how they were so successful in eating the Embarkation Lunch in the Dining Room! Most of us fortunately prefer to start our cruise in non confrontational and relaxed way -- who cares about the first lunch. Buy a sandwich before you board and eat it in your cabin!

THis used to be the norm. (used to be is more than 5 years ago). At any rate' date=' I suspect somebody at HQ thought this was great and they announced it and then got "operational feedback" that makes it less than feasible, so the ships' try to avoid it. I can only guess why - but the things that cross my mind are: they rotate staff between DRs and Horizon Court. Perhaps the folks on DR duty can have the mid-day of turnaround day off. Or perhaps they are assisting in moving bags? I suspect it's the former and that they're running bare bones staff in the DR. Either way,[b'] they made a big deal about it in a press release[/b] and have never really followed through. They're not going to issue a release rescinding so it's hard to figure where we actually stand on this.

Princess did not make a "big deal". The mention of "Embarkation Lunch" is one sentence (less than one line) in a long news release about New "Disembarkation" enhancements. But some on this forum seem to be totally obsessed that to enjoy their cruise, they should insist on their Embarkation Lunch in the Dining Room -- otherwise their whole cruise is ruined. They will go to the trouble to print out the news release, thrust it front of the crew member at the dining room entrance, and then love to post here how they were so successful in eating the Embarkation Lunch in the Dining Room! Most of us fortunately prefer to start our cruise in non confrontational and relaxed way -- who cares about the first lunch. Buy a sandwich before you board and eat it in your cabin!

Wow, why are you so cranky? No one is telling you to do anything you don't want to do. And I did not see one post that says their cruise would be ruined if someone didn't get their lunch in the dining room. The point is that SOME of us prefer the option of eating in the dining room. Personally I hate the buffet. It's crowded, noisy and not at all a relaxing experience. I usually walk out feeling frazzled and annoyed. On our most recent cruise on the Golden, we did not eat a single meal in the buffet and I didn't miss it at all.

So, if Princess announces the option of dining in the dining room on embarkation day I am certainly happy to take advantage of the opportunity. If they don't want people using that option, they shouldn't put it out there. And once they offer it, they should expect and be prepared for those who want to avail themselves of the service. By the way, there was no need to be confrontational, just a bit persistent, that's all. I posted this so people who prefer this option would be aware that it's available if you are willing to make the effort.

WOW! You are wound a little tight aren't you. The point is tnat it is a Princess published policy and they (the ship's staff) has the obligation to abide by it, yet, they do everything possible to not allow you in - sometimes even after showing them the Press Release.

Why would I pack a sandwich when they have all that delicious food.

Ron

While I certainly think Princess should follow through on their press release (and I applaud those of you who bring it with you and hold them "accountable") I would personally feel very uncomfortable doing so. If they want to open the DR for lunch, they should open it. If they want it closed, they should close it. I should not have to print off a piece of paper from their website before I leave home and show it to someone in order to admit me to the DR...

I have been reading this thread and it seems most would insist on being served. We would not. We would check it out but if someone told us they were not serving we would not insist. Would be uncomfortable the whole time. Not saying those that do insist are wrong. Just not our style.

Like Karatemom2, my son and I enjoyed a relaxing, pleasant lunch in the Donatella Dining Room of the Golden on Embarkation Day. The door was open and we were welcomed in and received courteous service from the crew. I think problems might arise when passengers wish to be served as the Dining Room is closing.

Like Karatemom2, my son and I enjoyed a relaxing, pleasant lunch in the Donatello Dining Room of the Golden on Embarkation Day. The door was open and we were welcomed in and received courteous service from the crew. I think problems might arise when passengers wish to be served as the Dining Room is closing.

As you indicate, the dining room lunch is only available during the normal dining room lunchtime hours, nomally about 12 Noon-1:30 PM.

Later than that, the buffet is the only major option available. Can also get pizza, hamburgers, etc.

Archived