Returning to Princess...disappointment ahead?

Marmarjudy

I appreciate all the replies, but want to clear up a few things:

--I have sailed 25 (maybe 26?) times in the past 16 years (since I discovered cruising) on 8 or 9 different cruise lines and have NEVER had a "bad" cruise...just some that were better than others

--after sailing so often we have learned what we like and what we don't care for....service and food quality are top considerations.

--a few years ago we decided Princess was our favorite, we have 6 Princess cruises, but not since 3 years ago

--we discovered HAL a year ago and it was WONDERFUL, comparable to Princess in our opinion

--we decided to go back to Princess this year (after a disappointing Cunard experience last summer)

--we are thinking that maybe the quality of this Princess cruise won't live up to the memories of past Princess cruises or our HAL cruise last year

We know our cruise will be GREAT! All cruises are, but I just want to have proper expectations. There is no need to remind of the fact it's a vacation, it's what you make it, etc., etc. A certain level of quality and service is still needed for it to be at the level of the past experiences. I'm sure the "multi cruisers" can relate to where I'm coming from.

Thanks to all,

Judy

--I have sailed 25 (maybe 26?) times in the past 16 years (since I discovered cruising) on 8 or 9 different cruise lines and have NEVER had a "bad" cruise...just some that were better than others

--after sailing so often we have learned what we like and what we don't care for....service and food quality are top considerations.

--a few years ago we decided Princess was our favorite, we have 6 Princess cruises, but not since 3 years ago

--we discovered HAL a year ago and it was WONDERFUL, comparable to Princess in our opinion

--we decided to go back to Princess this year (after a disappointing Cunard experience last summer)

--we are thinking that maybe the quality of this Princess cruise won't live up to the memories of past Princess cruises or our HAL cruise last year

We know our cruise will be GREAT! All cruises are, but I just want to have proper expectations. There is no need to remind of the fact it's a vacation, it's what you make it, etc., etc. A certain level of quality and service is still needed for it to be at the level of the past experiences. I'm sure the "multi cruisers" can relate to where I'm coming from.

Thanks to all,

Judy

Hi Marmarjudy,

I totally agree with you - I'm also one of those that any cruise is a good cruise kind of person, but I do compare one cruise to another, especially since I did the Mexican Riviera on the Star back in 3/03 and again on the Sapphire this past September.

Our experience on the Star back in '03 was a considerably a better cruise. Why? Many factors, and don't get me wrong, we still had a wonderful time with our friends and loved our mini-suite (again). We were on the first cruise of the MR for the season, with the Sapphire just back from Alaska, so I took that into consideration. And truthfully, I think that had alot to do with the lack of communication, port problems, etc. So we just simply will not book the first cruise of an itinerary for the season again....

We had issues with excursions being cancelled one day before arriving in Puerto Vallarta, that was needlessly cancelled (long story) and communication relating to that was lacking; 2 hour delay in Cabo getting off the ship because of swells - yes, safety, etc, but would've been happier having them cancel the port and spend more time at sea rather than having so much time getting on and off the ship and much-shortened excursions, but despite these things, we had a wonderful time with our friends who were in the adjacent mini-suite. It was their first cruise and they fell in love with cruising as we and so many others have.

Now, on the other hand, our mini-suite was great, our cabin attendant was awesome, our dining room waiters/staff were outstanding, we had wonderful food, and were sad to be back in L.A.! And we booked another cruise - Island Princess Sept. 07, 2009 southbound from Anchorage to Vancouver - bring it on!!!!

Bottom line: our memories of Princess are nothing but good and we are SO looking forward to returning. We missed Princess on every cruise except the Holland cruise, on which the service was exceptional.

Keep an open mind and your vacation excitement and realize how lucky you are to be on a vacation and you will continue to have wonderfull memories on Princess.

An open mind is key remember the prices of cruises has actually stayed the same or dropped. Have a blast

I don't think you will notice much of a decline at all. Over the last three or four years we've cruised on Princess five or six times and they have been pretty consistent. Our last cruise was on Holland America over Christmas. If the Lido buffet on your HAL cruise was anything like ours than don't expect Princess to be as good...it was exceptional for mainstream cruising. But the Caribe Cafe on Princess (if you are going on that class of ship) is a great alternative to the main dinning room with wonderful service that I don't think HAL matches in the evening.

we cruised on Caribbean Princess for our honeymoon and loved it...since then we have been on 4 RC cruises and will finally be able to cruise with Princess again 3 weeks from today. The ship and itinerary you are on are great. I am sure you'll have a good time...try not to go into it looking for issues though...that would be one sure fire way to put a damper on the trip

Thanks to all,

Judy

Judy - you think too much. You've answered your own question. If you keep your expectations low - the probability of pleasant surprises is high; if you go with inflated expectations - the probability of disappointment is higher. You've made your decision to cruise on Princess, "Am I going to be disappointed?" We're not online Dr. Phils (thank god!) how do I know?! If you liked HAL so much, then book with HAL (but if you're expectations are so high, be prepared to be let down - hopefully gently - by HAL #2) otherwise relax...

My dw and i have cruised princess 5 times, and are about to go on our 6th ,next month to the panama canal. We would'nt dream of of using any other cruise lines. We have no complaints. We just love cruising with princess. It's your vacation and what you make of it.

I took a 2 year break from Princess as my last cruise with them had a lot to be desired.

I have to say, my return on the Sapphire Princess was very good. The food seemed better then on my previous cruise and our service was excellent.

So - you may be surprised! Good luck!

Judy-when you get back I would be curious to know how Princess compares to HAL. I looked long and hard at booking with HAL for an Alaskan cruise because I liked the ports a lot better. My question about Princess was exactly the same as yours, so you aren't the only one. I've only cruised three other times. All have been wonderful, my last was on the Disney Wonder, which is top notch. All things considered I still prefer Princess, for many reasons--several having to do with screaming kids, which you expect on a Disney Cruise, also I didn't totally love the food--I know we were in the Bahamas, but every night the food had Caribean spice to it, I like the basic on Princess, if all else fails I can get steak, salmon, or amazing pasta...What sealed my deal with Princess was their 2 for 1 sail--the price being unbelievable--that being said--I don't mind buying a coffee card.

Happy cruising;)

CoffeequeenJ

Judy - you think too much. You've answered your own question. If you keep your expectations low - the probability of pleasant surprises is high; if you go with inflated expectations - the probability of disappointment is higher. You've made your decision to cruise on Princess, "Am I going to be disappointed?" We're not online Dr. Phils (thank god!) how do I know?! If you liked HAL so much, then book with HAL (but if you're expectations are so high, be prepared to be let down - hopefully gently - by HAL #2) otherwise relax...

You sound like my husband, about me thinking too much, but that's me. Try living with me....but he does, 41 years and counting. I do the detail thinking/obsessing for both of us. He didn't even know what ship we are on or what ports we are going to until today :-)

I did consider booking HAL again but couldn't get the right cabin (you don't even want to know how much I think about that!) or itinerary but my husband really wanted to go back to Princess. Because last June I put him through the torture (for him) of a transatlantic crossing on Cunard (it was a dream come true for me,) I booked Princess this time.

And I know we will have a wonderful time!

Thanks for all the input....

Judy

Archived