What to buy in Belize

NatashaKo

A fritter is a deep fried batter with some food in it. You can use vegetable, fruit, meat, seafood, shellfish and more as the flavor ingredient. Usually they will be about the size of a donut hole.

We really enjoy conch fritters and try them whenever we see them on the menu. The ones from the Wet Lizard

3104075352_2b43aee835.jpg

are tied for first place with ones we had at a small stand near Mallory Square in Key West.

Conch is the meat of the animal that lives in the conch shell:

250px-Conch_shell_2.jpg

Charlie

It looks like North East Ohio people love Belize!

I live in Brimfield, OH.

Kevin

Hi, Kevin. While Charlie and I aren't exactly from the NE of Ohio, we do really love stoppin' in to Belize.

Manager/owner's? name of the Wet Lizard is Laura. She's really cool. when she heard how many times Charlie and I have been to the Wet Lizard she bought us a couple of Belikin beers.

Charlie has inscribed our names on the wall there the last two times were at the Wet Lizard. The walls are filled with names of those who have visited the restaurant/bar.

Dianne

we just got back from our cruise today... the only thing i saw at the port in belize is loads of knock-offs (coach, Burberry, etc) I didnt see much in the way of handicrafts. We did sample some cashew wine that was good and had some good tamales but the shopping there wasnt great at all.

we just got back from our cruise today... the only thing i saw at the port in belize is loads of knock-offs (coach, Burberry, etc) I didnt see much in the way of handicrafts. We did sample some cashew wine that was good and had some good tamales but the shopping there wasnt great at all.

Have been to Belize at least 6 or 7 times on cruise ships. Have always found some great handcrafted items. The shopping village at the pier area has dozens of stores offering handcrafted items and the small flea-market area located outside the last shop mall to the left of the pier has more handcrafted items.

Dianne

I bought a beautiful wooden bowl from a local artisan in Belize and love it. I can't wait to go back and look for another piece. The have multiple types of wood pieced together. It is very nice and made locally.

Hi, Kevin. While Charlie and I aren't exactly from the NE of Ohio, we do really love stoppin' in to Belize.

Manager/owner's? name of the Wet Lizard is Laura. She's really cool. when she heard how many times Charlie and I have been to the Wet Lizard she bought us a couple of Belikin beers.

Charlie has inscribed our names on the wall there the last two times were at the Wet Lizard. The walls are filled with names of those who have visited the restaurant/bar.

Dianne

Dianne, can you give me approximate directions to the Wet Lizard from the NCL tender? and someone posted they saw no shopping in the area, is there and outside market close by to the tender area?ty

It looks like North East Ohio people love Belize!

I live in Brimfield, OH.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I'm doing my first cruise in April and Belize is one of the ports. Thanks for the good info. One question, can we bring booze back on the ship?

Thanks

Jan

I live in Kent Ohio.

Hi Kevin

I'm doing my first cruise in April and Belize is one of the ports. Thanks for the good info. One question, can we bring booze back on the ship?

Thanks

Jan

I live in Kent Ohio.

Jan,

You can bring booze back on the ship but the ship personal will take the booze from you and hold it until the last evening of the cruise. Then you just pick it up at the location they tell you. No big deal. Sometime, and I mean sometime the ship personal might not be able to identify that it is alcohol and you can then take it directly to your room. We somehow manage to be able to do this like the time we came back on board at St. Thomas with 28 bottles and brought them right thru security.

Love this weather lately – huh?

Kevin

I will be our first time cruising and I just wondering what interesting to look to buy in Belize.

Any country specific souvenirs? Local wines? Local food?

What you considet to be a good buy in Belize?

Thanks in advance.

We dined at a hotel and there were plenty of hot (and not so hot) sauces on the table to choose from.They are quite interesting. We bought some at a shop by the pier to take home and they might make nice gifts if you have friends who like the sort of thing that usually comes via Mexico. Belize sounds a little more exotic!

Jan,

You can bring booze back on the ship but the ship personal will take the booze from you and hold it until the last evening of the cruise. Then you just pick it up at the location they tell you. No big deal. Sometime, and I mean sometime the ship personal might not be able to identify that it is alcohol and you can then take it directly to your room. We somehow manage to be able to do this like the time we came back on board at St. Thomas with 28 bottles and brought them right thru security.

Love this weather lately – huh?

Kevin

Hey Kevin

Thanks for the info. You just have to love OHIO weather. How did you get 28 bottles of booze back to Ohio?? When is your next cruise?

Archived