How does the sushi restaurant "work"?

Brandis

I really love sushi and would like to try the sushi restaurant on our upcoming Jewel cruise.

I found the menu and have some questions. On the menu it says for most items "1 per order" or "2 per order". Does this mean, you can order 1 of this item and that's it or is it you order 1, eat it and when you are done you can order another one?

How about the combos? If you order those, can you still order single sushis in addition?

I think the "1 per order" or "2 per order" just gives you an idea of the serving size. If you want 6 pieces of spicy tuna rolls that come in "2 per order" size and 4 slices of sashimi in the "1 per order size", you should order 3 servings of spicy tuna and four servings of sashmi. I really think it's just for convenience of deciding how much to order and preventing waste. When they say "unlimited," they really do mean unlimited.

I know what you mean! The best sushi I ever had was in Tokyo at the fish market (at 7 AM!) :-)

At least, they use raw fish instead surimi and smoked salmon as most other cruise lines do. So I want to see how well they do it.

I love sushi too but I won't eat it on a cruise ship. Sushi only tastes good to me when it is fresh and for them to serve it it must be get frozen or something for the week. Yuck.

Do you realized that all sushi in the US has been frozen? USDA requires it to be frozen to at least -4 to kill parasites. See: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-grade-fish.htm

We cruised Jade in December with two sushi/sashimi lovers. They were very pleased by the quality of what they were served with the all-you-can-eat sushi/sashimi. As I recall, when you ordered the sushi you could also choose two items from the regular Asian menu in addition.

• Administrators
Do you realized that all sushi in the US has been frozen? USDA requires it to be frozen to at least -4 to kill parasites. See: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-grade-fish.htm

I'm guessing the answer to that question would be "no!" :)

We are big sushi fans, and thought the sushi on our last NCL cruise (Pride of Hawaii in '07) was very good to excellent. The temaki the chef made for us was super, and we thought the quality of the fish overall was fine. Perhaps not the best variety of spicy rolls and such that we've found, but for a reasonable surcharge, it was a lot of fun and very good. My favorite there (well, always my favorite, actually) is yellowtail sashimi and I thought it was especially good. My SO really liked some of the more fanciful roll combinations -- he didn't like the temaki as much as I did, but that was ok -- I ate his, too!

When we go to the Sushi/Chinese restaurant I order Sushi and the rest of my family orders chinese. It is unlimited for the one price. It is a very good deal. The sushi eas good as well as all the rolls. I think you will be very happy with it. You can NOT mix chinese with the sushi it is either or.

That is true...we go to a sushi restaurant in our community. We talk with the owners and people that work there since we go there so often and they confirmed this when we were asking questions about the freshness . It's going to be frozen first no matter where you get it from in the USA.

We have all you can eat sushi here in Reno for $18, and to be honest the sushi on NCL was not that bad! It is all-u-can-eat! The only down side is that do to the fish being frozen, it tastes a little more watery. Too bad they dont go to the fish markets in these ports and bring some fresh fish! With all that said, not bad sushi.....

• Administrators
We have all you can eat sushi here in Reno for $18, and to be honest the sushi on NCL was not that bad! It is all-u-can-eat! The only down side is that do to the fish being frozen, it tastes a little more watery. Too bad they dont go to the fish markets in these ports and bring some fresh fish! With all that said, not bad sushi.....

I've had the sushi at the Atlantis in Reno and think NCL's is very comparable. I give the nod to Atlantis's sushi chefs, though -- great people who made the whole experience a lot of fun. :)

I've had the sushi at the Atlantis in Reno and think NCL's is very comparable. I give the nod to Atlantis's sushi chefs, though -- great people who made the whole experience a lot of fun. :)

Next time you are in Reno, try Sushi Pier, in the shopping center across from Costco, under the bridge from the airport. It is the best!

If you get to go on the Star they have a sushi conveyor belt, make the chefs send you the sushi on it....it is hilarious! We always put the cash tip on there back to them!

I really love sushi and would like to try the sushi restaurant on our upcoming Jewel cruise.

I found the menu and have some questions. On the menu it says for most items "1 per order" or "2 per order". Does this mean, you can order 1 of this item and that's it or is it you order 1, eat it and when you are done you can order another one?

How about the combos? If you order those, can you still order single sushis in addition?

The menu IS confusing...but in the end, it is indeed "all you can eat". When it says "1 per order" it means: "you order this, you get 1 piece." But you could place as many orders for that one piece that you want.

We love sushi and had a wonderful time. We ended up ordering MUCH more than we intended -- but ate every last bite. I'd go again in a heartbeat!

• Administrators
Next time you are in Reno, try Sushi Pier, in the shopping center across from Costco, under the bridge from the airport. It is the best!

If you get to go on the Star they have a sushi conveyor belt, make the chefs send you the sushi on it....it is hilarious! We always put the cash tip on there back to them!

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Archived