Windstar - Tours - 2/22/09 Wind Surf Cruise

LRHerman

Anyone out there going on this cruise interested in joining my husband and me (late 40's) on some private tours I've researched and I'm setting up on some of the islands? (Tobago, Grenada, Dominica, Barbados and Bequia)? We think it would be more fun with more people and would also save money on the smaller private tours since often it's the same price whether 2 or more people.

We're arriving in Barbados on Friday, staying at the Accra Hotel and exploring Barbados over the weekend too. Also would share a taxi to Oistin's Fish Fry on Friday night, Feb. 20th.

Linda

hi glad to see someone else on this cruise. what are the plans you've made on island excursions?

Glad to see someone else on this cruise too!

Here's all my research and plans for private excursions. Any comments on my choices welcome!

Barbados - We'll be there for the weekend before the cruise, so we'll line up activities when we get there. Glory Tours (glorytours.org) seem to be the most popular tours though johnsontours.com and boycetours.com look a bit more reasonably priced. But since our flight back home on March 1st is at 3:30pm, we may try to get a private taxi tour to pick us up from the cruise that day and spend a few hours seeing the interior and east coast of the island before heading to the airport (can get a taxi tour for $25-$30 per hour for 1-4 pp). Anyone with a late flight interested in joining us? Any other ideas for that short day since we'll have our luggage (other than The Boatyard which sounds like a beach club to hang out at)?

For Bequia, http://www.bequiatourism.com/tours.htm was a good site for information and tours. I emailed Noel's Taxi and he suggested an island taxi tour (2.5-3 hours) that would include the turtle sanctuary, Hamilton Fort, highest hill, drive through whaling and fishing village and suggested to go to a local place for lunch and then for a swim or back to the boat. His cost is $100 whether 2 or more people. I told him I'd sign up if we get at least 2 people to join us. Otherwise, we'll just be flexible as it appears easy to find taxi island tours from drivers "under the almond trees" near the port for about $20 - $30 per hour.

Dominica - Have emailed for a tour with Fredos (freddy536.tripod.com). He recommended Tour #3 on his website (5-6 hours), but debating whether too much driving and a shorter tour would be better. His price is $60 pp (plus $5 admissions), though seems negotiable if get more people (so let me know if you sign up with him). antours.com, benonaturetours.com, tourlion@hotmail.com (Andy Lion), bumpiingtours.com and reynotours@hotmail.com all were recommended too on the boards and seem to have similar tours. Tubing looks fun on Dominica too.

Pigeon Island - Hope to explore on our own (beaches and ruins of a fort; beautiful views - tripadvisor had good reviews). Anyone know if it's easy to explore from where they drop you off?

Mayreau - I think the cruise beach bbq is here. Anyone know if can you do snorkling off the beach or do you need to take a boat/excursion?

Grenada - adventuregrenada.com has lots of info. on tours though everyone on cruise critic seems to rave about Mandoo's Tours (grenadatours.com; mandoo@grenadatours.com) so we signed up for his 4-1/2 hour Spice Plantation Route at 8:45am for $45 (including entrance fees). He said we're the only ship in port that day. (Note he does ask for your credit card to hold your place). A&E Tours was also recommended on the boards(grenadaguide.com/aetours) - their 4 hour tour is only $35 and looks similar to Mandoo's.

Tobago - Lots of info. on mytobago.info. We booked Wayne Gray at waynesworld-tours.com (waynegray23@hotmail.com). A full day tour (though was hard to pin him down on how long that was) is $50 pp - he said that though this is his rainforest tour price, he'll also show us additional sites on the Caribbean side including English man's bay, castara, mount dillon, fort cambliton (sp?). He can take up to 6 people so would be fun to have people join us (though price is the same no matter how many).

Note that I have no personal knowledge as to the tours I'm choosing or that I've mentioned -- just passing along what I've read on the boards.

Can't wait for this cruise!

Linda

How cool! Looks like we'll be in Barbados at the end of the Holetown Festival too (Feb. 15 - 22).

Who are you doing your tubing trip with in Dominica? Esp. with the Carnival going on, that might be more fun than an all day island tour.

Email me with your contact info. if you want to coordinate a taxi tour and airport transfer for March 1 before we go (or we can do it the first weekend we arrive in Barbados). I've been told my Verizon cell service will work in Barbados so I can give you my number.

Linda

we are staying at the same hotel arriving friday afternoon. we'd be happy to share a taxi with you to oistin's friday night. i'm trying to see what the holetown festival is and thought of going there on saturday if it sounds interesting. we are on the same flight as you going home also. in dominica we had originally thought about a long tour but because its carnivale we are thinking of going there. at mayreau we want to get a boat to the tobago cays apparently they are little water taxis. at grenada we want to go to pidgeon point and get a boat to buccoo reef and the nylon pool. looking forward to meeting you and lots of fun on our trip whatever we do. kathi

Kathi -- Great - email me your info. and we can coordinate for Oistin's! Haven't found anything on the Holetown Festival - can look into it when we get there. Boat to Tobago Cays sounds good - good snorkling?

Looking forward to seeing you - wish it was sooner! Linda

hi everyone: i've been trying to get a boat for tobago cays. it is a great spot for snorkeling. the ship does a trip but i thought it would be nicer to go with a smaller group. the trip with the ship is 3 1/2 hours which includes sailing to other islands. i'll keep trying to get some definite info. i have emailed several people down there but haven't heard back yet. by the way swanee4 is only two people. kathi

Archived