Bad luck in Galveston port

crmc

We returned from our cruise on the Voyager of the Seas last Sunday, and had problems on both ends. When we finally arrived at the Hilton at 7:30PM, after flight delays on Sat. night, the hotel had no power (along with that whole part of the island, due to a thunderstorm). They were willing to shuttle us to the Hotel Galvez, where we paid about twice as much to spend the night. The Sunday we left went smoothly. However, the Sunday we returned, the port was closed, due to sea fog. We docked almost 6 hours later than scheduled, so missed our flight back to Milwaukee, and had to spend an extra night. (We were lucky it wasn't two nights.) We heard afterward that sea fog is a common problem. I would not recommend leaving out of this port, unless you're driving and do not have any deadlines (as in flights).

Bad luck? No one controls the weather. Any place that has water has fog and unpredictable weather. Delays like this have happened to me in Seattle, Miami and Tampa(missed one there totally due to a hurricane).

Did you arrive safely? Did your plane or ship crash due to weather? Then you, my dear fellow traveler have had good luck.

Bad luck? No one controls the weather. Any place that has water has fog and unpredictable weather. Delays like this have happened to me in Seattle, Miami and Tampa(missed one there totally due to a hurricane).

Did you arrive safely? Did your plane or ship crash due to weather? Then you, my dear fellow traveler have had good luck.

Ditto what this poster said. Are you and your party safe?.....Exactly.

Origin of "travel"

1325–75; ME (north and Scots), orig. the same word as travail (by shift “to toil, labor” > “to make a laborious journey”)

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

See, it's not always nice...but my new gold standard of bad luck on a trip is the poor folks who were on a cruise when Ike hit Galveston, returned to no vehicles.

One of my friends had a long wait for the insurance to come through for her car because no one could get on the island to verify it was washed away or ruined. Knowing that this was going on while they were still cruising her choice was party away or worry...let's just say their bar bill surpassed her previous record.

I'm sorry people feel the need to criticize me for stating what happened and my opinion. OF COURSE lots of people have had worse luck in traveling and in life! That's like telling someone who slipped and broke their leg that they had good luck because they didn't break both legs. I don't consider ending a vacation with the stress of missing flights and a day of work "good luck".

I'm sorry people feel the need to criticize me for stating what happened and my opinion. OF COURSE lots of people have had worse luck in traveling and in life! That's like telling someone who slipped and broke their leg that they had good luck because they didn't break both legs. I don't consider ending a vacation with the stress of missing flights and a day of work "good luck".

Not criticizing, just giving my opinion,too.

It is all a perspective thing, If I broke my leg I'm the one who would be thankful that I had legs to break in the first place. I prefer to view things in the positive. Travel can be a pain in the arse, or an adventure...its all perspective.

Not criticizing, just giving my opinion,too.

It is all a perspective thing, If I broke my leg I'm the one who would be thankful that I had legs to break in the first place. I prefer to view things in the positive. Travel can be a pain in the arse, or an adventure...its all perspective.

Fair enough. Certainly, the adventure and new experiences in travel outweigh the occasional, inevitable bad luck, and I do feel "lucky" to be able to travel. I'm sure your positive outlook is helping you get the most out of life.:) By the way, I posted about some of the best parts of the cruise in other places.

I'm with you, crmc! Wouldn't bother me a bit if LOTS of people decided not to travel out of Galveston--it would mean lower demand, and lower prices for me!!

HEAR THAT, EVERYONE?? DON'T CRUISE OUT OF GALVESTON....so I can have lower prices and can cruise more often!! lol

We had fog too when we left on the Conquest earlier this year in February...we had a 2 hour delay and we didn't give a hoot!:) That being said, I understand the original poster.....we drove to the port....I know it is more difficult for those that have to catch flights! I have heard of other ports that also have the fog, so it's not just Galveston. I hope you had a great cruise!:)

We returned from our cruise on the Voyager of the Seas last Sunday, and had problems on both ends. When we finally arrived at the Hilton at 7:30PM, after flight delays on Sat. night, the hotel had no power (along with that whole part of the island, due to a thunderstorm). They were willing to shuttle us to the Hotel Galvez, where we paid about twice as much to spend the night. The Sunday we left went smoothly. However, the Sunday we returned, the port was closed, due to sea fog. We docked almost 6 hours later than scheduled, so missed our flight back to Milwaukee, and had to spend an extra night. (We were lucky it wasn't two nights.) We heard afterward that sea fog is a common problem. I would not recommend leaving out of this port, unless you're driving and do not have any deadlines (as in flights).

I am so sorry you had these problems. We cruise out of Galveston on a regular basis because we live in Texas. We have never been late because of sea fog. It is a shame it had to happy to you. I hope, other than this, you had a great cruise!

I have sailed twice and have not had fog on either occasion. That does not mean you didnt have fog or anyone is criticizing you for being upset that there was fog. However, There isnt fog everytime they set sail. So to say dont sail out of Galveston because the had fog is really unfair. The city has come along way since Ike. I sailed on the second week CCL returned to The port of Glaveston. ANd the service at not only the port but the rest of the businesses that had managed to get opened was awsome concidering the damage. They have come along way fixing the things they can fix. I cant blame them for not being able to fix things they have no control over.

To be honest, we had a bad case of sea fog last January as we returned to Galveston. When I awoke I thought we were in port because we were not moving. Much to my surprise, when I went on deck I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face and I realized we were still out at sea. We sat off the coast of Texas for hours and once the fog lifted we were surrounded by about 50 other vessels of all shapes & sizes. By the time we docked it was after 1pm and Galveston was in gridlock due to all the vehicle traffic near the port. People were still getting off the ship around 4:30-5pm and embarkation had not started yet. It was a mess. Luckily, we were in the middle of a back to back so we just watched all the kaos from a distance. Some of our family were getting off, but they all lived in the Houston area and had cars parked at the port. Still, it was a long day for all those leaving the ship and for those trying to board and I can't even imagine the headache associated with trying to get out of Galveston and back home to other parts of the country.

That all being said, it was a weather issue that is very hit & miss in these parts and I don't think it should discourage anyone from cruising out of Galveston.

Archived