car rentals in kauai and hilo and kona

burtshell

You'll get a wide variety of responses here. It depends on each individual experience.

We have rented Alamo on every island and have had great luck. Others had problems with alamo in Hilo. All the major companies pick up at the pier. We saw National, Alamo, Avis, Hertz, Budget off the top of my head. My suggestion is to go with a company that doesnt deal directly with the ship....I say that because when you get off the ship, the line for that shuttle will tend to be longer than for the others. I have seen some just hop on any shuttle and ask for the walk-up rate. If you are coming during a peak time though, I wouldnt recommend that.

Aloha,

In Kauai we used Budget, and in Kona, Hilo and Maui we used Alamo, all chosen for rates available.

The only problem we had was going to the airport in Kona...wasted a lot of time. One, if not the only, rental car place near the ship in Kona is Enterprise. That is the biggest tip.

We had to get mini vans for 6 people and I got great internet rates...definitely book before you go! Lots of convertible PT Cruisers in Hawaii...they looked like fun.

Also, I think Enterprise was closer to the pier in Maui too, but the airport was not much further.

Shuttles were available for all rental car companies. Also lots of free shuttles to shopping areas.

Have a great time!

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

In visits past, we had used Alamo or Dollar, but last time we booked with Thrifty through our condo rental firm, for three islands. The rates were better than Alamo or Dollar, and we had no problems. We've already booked with them again for 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked with Thrifty, via discounthawaiicarrental.com at Maui, Kauai, and Hilo. We used them at Kauai, but not the other two. They don't pick up in Lahaina, Maui. We got the best rate by asked the shuttle drivers what their best rates were. In Hilo we got a better deal by asking car rental reps at the dock for their best rates.

Cathy

Are vans available at most of these rental car places?? We have a group of at least 6 and possibly 8........need a large van.........anyone know the availability and who rents them?

I'm sure it is best to rent in advance?

Thanks

Jim

Vans are available from all major car rental companies but they're going to be mini-vans. As to availability of large vans (like Ford Econoline type of vans), you'd need to ask specifically the rental car company and find out. As always, when you're asking for something that's not easily available, it's better to reserve in advance. Minivans are common enough that it's probably not going to be a problem but I'd still hold the reservation just in case ...

Spleen

Spleen:

Thanks for the info........this will be our first Hawaii cruise.......with an advance reservation for a mini van will the rental companies come to the pier to pick you up and take you back to get your car??

Thanks\

Jim

That depends on the rental car company. Some do and some don't. Do a search for "rental car companies" on this board and you'll get a whole slew of opinions. All the major car rental companies are represented in Hawaii.

Spleen

Archived