"Old Panama City Tour" & Gatun Lake- Need some help!

mlbcruiser

We'd like to see as much of the area as possible, and are on the Coral Princess (which does a partial canal transit). If we do this tour, will we still get to go half way through the canal first, or will we forfeit that?

We really enjoy seeing a lot when we are in an area, and this will probably be our only time to ever see Panama City. We are torn as to which would be more interesting - Gatun Lake area or taking the bus through the land area and visiting some sights in/around Panama City?

Will our ship sail around the Gatun Lake area anyway, to turn around and await passage back through the canal? Would we see that area by just staying on the ship?

Thanks for any info. anyone has!

Answers in red.....

We'd like to see as much of the area as possible, and are on the Coral Princess (which does a partial canal transit). If we do this tour, will we still get to go half way through the canal first, or will we forfeit that? You will go through Gatun Locks and enter Gatun Lake. The ship will proceed to the anchorage adjacent to the Locks. This where you will tender off the ship.

We really enjoy seeing a lot when we are in an area, and this will probably be our only time to ever see Panama City. We are torn as to which would be more interesting - Gatun Lake area or taking the bus through the land area and visiting some sights in/around Panama City? If you don't think you will be coming back to Panama, it might be better to take full advantage of your time here and take in some of the country. Any trip to Panama City will involve a bit of bus travel, at least an hour and a half each way, plus whatever tour time that is needed.

Will our ship sail around the Gatun Lake area anyway, to turn around and await passage back through the canal? The anchorage is not far from the Locks. The ship really does not sail through anymore of the Canal. Would we see that area by just staying on the ship?

What you will see is the Atlantic approach to the Canal, Gatun Locks as well as the anchorage in the Gatun Lake. The lockage back down is still very interesting and certainly a lot less crowded for the better viewing positions. It is a repeat going down, of the morning's lockage up to the Lake. I can certainly understand if you wanted to get off and have a look at Panama as well.

It's a great cruise!!!!!!

Thanks for any info. anyone has!

Boy, am I glad I asked this question! (I think we'll do the Panama City tour.)

Super link, xcountry. I learned a LOT.

And Bill, you are coming in handy w/the info. you've donated!

Thanks to both of you for the great info.

Archived