Just back from monarch -- review

We have actually gone on the Enchantment and loved it so much we are going back. I am wondering if we would be disappointed if we went on the Monarch after the Enchantment.

I've been on 4 Voyager class cruises. Voyager ships are twice the size of Monarch, with lots of WOW factor. Yes, Monarch does not have Johnny Rockets, Royal Promenade, Portofino, Chops, mini golf, skating rink, etc.,etc., etc. But I find that it has 90% of what I love about cruising and I had a great time on Monarch. The ship is in fantastic shape and the crew is incredible. I was not disappointed one bit on Monarch. I'd go again in a heartbeat.

Bob

Steve..........I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Monarch........as she should be enjoyed.

We normally cruise in the Royal Suite..........and guess what..........the shower curtain comes after us as well!!

Two of my favorite people with RCCL..........are Captain Rick Sullivan......and Terry Lunder.......the Hotel Director.

Without getting into confidentiality issues........I'll just say that you cruised with two of the best of the best..........when it comes to Captains and Hotel Directors.

Interesting that some of the creme of RCCL.........are doing the 3/4 night trips right now.

The story that he told you about coming out in a hurricane........the proof of it still remains on the bow of the ship........which is slightly caved in. They have never corrected that area of the bow of the ship..........but unless you look for it .........you can't see it.

Rick

We have actually gone on the Enchantment and loved it so much we are going back. I am wondering if we would be disappointed if we went on the Monarch after the Enchantment.

We did an EN B2B in October and were really impressed with her and the staff and crew. We had a truly terrific nine days.

Today, we just came back from a three day Monarch shorty. WOW! They put on one heck of a show for us. We've never had this much fun in three days!

No, after Enchantment, we were not disappointed with Monarch.

Enjoy your time on Monarch, and, Enchantment.

Rick and Deirdra

We did an EN B2B in October and were really impressed with her and the staff and crew. We had a truly terrific nine days.

Today, we just came back from a three day Monarch shorty. WOW! They put on one heck of a show for us. We've never had this much fun in three days!

No, after Enchantment, we were not disappointed with Monarch.

Enjoy your time on Monarch, and, Enchantment.

Rick and Deirdra

Rick and Deirdra............thanks for the wonderful note on the Monarch.

You have her now.......and the ship is just a bunch of steel put together.......and what makes it work......is the PEOPLE!! They are the best!!

Rick

Steve..........I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Monarch........as she should be enjoyed.

We normally cruise in the Royal Suite..........and guess what..........the shower curtain comes after us as well!!

Two of my favorite people with RCCL..........are Captain Rick Sullivan......and Terry Lunder.......the Hotel Director.

Without getting into confidentiality issues........I'll just say that you cruised with two of the best of the best..........when it comes to Captains and Hotel Directors.

Interesting that some of the creme of RCCL.........are doing the 3/4 night trips right now.

The story that he told you about coming out in a hurricane........the proof of it still remains on the bow of the ship........which is slightly caved in. They have never corrected that area of the bow of the ship..........but unless you look for it .........you can't see it.

Rick

Oh hell, now I'm gonna have to cruise on her again just to look at the dented bow!;)

Any excuse to cruise!

Oh hell, now I'm gonna have to cruise on her again just to look at the dented bow!;)

Any excuse to cruise!

Steve...........that would be the Grandeur.........that has the dent!!

Captain Rick just wrote to me........the story is that he was the Staff Captain...........and that they headed out...........with NO passengers!!

They just rode it out.........what an experience!!

My DW and I have been thru a very similar..........but not as bad.in the Sea of Japan...........we had over 100 mile per hour winds........and when the calm came............we knew that we had been thru something very special.

Rick

Steve...........that would be the Grandeur.........that has the dent!!

Captain Rick just wrote to me........the story is that he was the Staff Captain...........and that they headed out...........with NO passengers!!

They just rode it out.........what an experience!!

My DW and I have been thru a very similar..........but not as bad.in the Sea of Japan...........we had over 100 mile per hour winds........and when the calm came............we knew that we had been thru something very special.

Rick

I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking! Duh! The Grandeur! Almost sailed on her instead of Monarch. Out of Tampa. He also told some stories about when he sailed on freighters in the Artic Ocean. Great stories. I spoke with him afterward and he was very personable. Ask him if he'd heard of Cruise Critic! He said yes but he didn't read it!:(

Steve.........you write a wonderful story.....review is what most people call it.

I say that all ships are but........steel and aluminum and plastic and wood, and what makes them enjoyable are the people that run them......starting with the captain.

And I think that you have met one of the best!! I have my favorites among the fleet.............and you have met one of my favorites.

Jump on the Monarch again!! If you can afford it.... go for a JS. With the prices now quoted.........it looks good.

You might be surprised when you sail with Captain Rick for a second time......and he remembers you.

Rick

Steve.........you write a wonderful story.....review is what most people call it.

I say that all ships are but........steel and aluminum and plastic and wood, and what makes them enjoyable are the people that run them......starting with the captain.

And I think that you have met one of the best!! I have my favorites among the fleet.............and you have met one of my favorites.

Jump on the Monarch again!! If you can afford it.... go for a JS. With the prices now quoted.........it looks good.

You might be surprised when you sail with Captain Rick for a second time......and he remembers you.

Rick

Rick,

The Captain said the female captain, I forget her name, will be back next month. How can I know that he will be onboard for a certain cruise or is it just a shot in the dark?

Steve

Okay Steve, tell me more about this Chorizo chili dip. Is it spicy? Just wondering because you make it sound delicious, but my stomach can not handle spicy. My husband's stomach, however, tries to find the spiciest thing around to eat!

Your story was awesome and makes me very excited for my cruise on Feb. 9th!

Okay Steve, tell me more about this Chorizo chili dip. Is it spicy? Just wondering because you make it sound delicious, but my stomach can not handle spicy. My husband's stomach, however, tries to find the spiciest thing around to eat!

Your story was awesome and makes me very excited for my cruise on Feb. 9th!

You and your husband sound just like me and my wife in terms of spicy foods. She loved it and didn't think it was spicy! go for it!

We live in the small town of Calhoun. I work in Atlanta, or actually Kennesaw. Where are you? Not from Charlton County are you? HS Football capital of SE GA.

Cleveland is my second hometown. Thats White county. I actually got lost in Calhoun with a group of friends this summer on way back from Atlanta.

Cleveland is my second hometown. Thats White county. I actually got lost in Calhoun with a group of friends this summer on way back from Atlanta.

I know White County. Beautiful area. But you said that GSU was an hour north of you. Where down there?

Rick,

The Captain said the female captain, I forget her name, will be back next month. How can I know that he will be onboard for a certain cruise or is it just a shot in the dark?

Steve

Captain Rick is talking about Captain Karin. If you want to know the exact dates of the captains rotations.......look for the thread entitled "Current Captains" by Wolfcathorse.

In round figures....the captains rotate every 10 weeks. So, if you take the date that Captain Karin comes aboard......and figure 10 weeks from that date........and for approximately the next 10 weeks Captain Rick will be back aboard.:)

Rick

We live in the small town of Calhoun. I work in Atlanta, or actually Kennesaw. Where are you? Not from Charlton County are you? HS Football capital of SE GA.

You are my neighbor! We are just a few minutes north of you in Dalton. I am really enjoying your review, we will be doing a 4 day on Monarch in just a few weeks.

Edited to add that Calhoun has an awesome football team!

You are my neighbor! We are just a few minutes north of you in Dalton. I am really enjoying your review, we will be doing a 4 day on Monarch in just a few weeks.

Edited to add that Calhoun has an awesome football team!

Hey neighbor! Oh yeah. We love our HS football. Just like Dalton! You'll love the Monarch. You'll love the crew! And the ship! And Captain Rick! And....and....and....:D

Rick,

Steve

Good Lord...after reading this review seems like i'm going to have to make the 35 minute jaunt to Calhoun to pick you up to cruise with...excellent review Steve!

Rick and Deirdra............thanks for the wonderful note on the Monarch.

You have her now.......and the ship is just a bunch of steel put together.......and what makes it work......is the PEOPLE!! They are the best!!

Rick

From one Rick to another (and if Capt. Rick is listening, a third Rick) . . .

This crew and staff are truly outstanding! They kept us so busy with what was happening, that we do need a vacation from our vacation. And the service was excellent. Our cabin attendant, Connie, was very good. Never a complaint about our cabin. It is no wonder that this crew continues to receive awards.

At our C&A Platinum/Diamond brunch the LA gave a very nice talk about Oasis.

So what did we do? Grabbed an Oasis brochure, checked it out, and as soon as we got home, checked out the cabins availalble on line. We are now booked for the Oasis maiden voyage on December 1!

It is a great way to celebrate our 20th anniversary!

Rick and Deirdra

This crew and staff are truly outstanding! They kept us so busy with what was happening, that we do need a vacation from our vacation. And the service was excellent. Our cabin attendant, Connie, was very good. Never a complaint about our cabin. It is no wonder that this crew continues to receive awards.

So what did we do? Grabbed an Oasis brochure, checked it out, and as soon as we got home, checked out the cabins availalble on line. We are now booked for the Oasis maiden voyage on December 1!

Rick and Deirdra

Wow Rick............and Deirdra, sounds like fun!! I have to tell you, that after spending a day on the Freedom of the Seas, I really don't want to sail on something so large. The Oasis of the Seas is larger than many of the small islands around the world!! So I am a member of the NOOTS!!:D

We love the smaller ships........and right now my DW is aboard the Mariner of the Seas........which we say is the largest that we want. I'm looking forward to joining her in Valparaiso, Chile!!;)

Rick

Rick,

Best to you and your DW on Mariner. That is quite THE trip!

If you check our sig, you will sea that we have sailed on many of the smaller ships: Empress three times, Majesty, Monarch, Grandeur, Enchantment.

For us, it really does not matter on the ship's size. It is the crew. We had soooo much fun on Monarch this past weekend, you can not believe it!

OK, thanks to our Monarch LA pushing it, we did today book the Oasis maiden voyage on Dec. 1!

Rick and Deirdra

Wow Rick............and Deirdra, sounds like fun!! I have to tell you, that after spending a day on the Freedom of the Seas, I really don't want to sail on something so large. The Oasis of the Seas is larger than many of the small islands around the world!! So I am a member of the NOOTS!!:D

We love the smaller ships........and right now my DW is aboard the Mariner of the Seas........which we say is the largest that we want. I'm looking forward to joining her in Valparaiso, Chile!!;)

Rick

Ahh, The Mariner. My first. She will always hold a special place in my heart!

Rick and Deirdra

Were you on deck7? I can't remember. We had Connie also. Fantastic lady!

I also grabbed an Oasis brochure for my collection. Seems they're hard to come by! We sail on her in what seems like a decade! Nov 2010!

Archived