Public Spaces on Gem

cruisegirl06

How are the public areas on the Gem? We are looking at possibly doing a transatlantic, so lounges and areas to relax in are crucial. From the floor plan, it doesn't look like there are too many lounges, but hopefully someone here can offer insight.

Also, are the pools heated (or is there a retractable roof)?

Thanks!

In Spinnaker's Lounge there are very comfy (and unique) lounge chairs on both sides forward with a great view of the ocean during the daytime.

The Crystal Atrium reception area also has comfy chairs set up in the middle to view the Wii screen.

Along the starboard side of deck 6 and 7 there are window seats.

Bliss nightclub is open during the day where the bowling lanes are. Although no outdoor views, there are plenty of chairs and beds to lounge on.

The library, card room and latitudes lounge on deck 14 all have chairs with window views.

Deck 6 also has an open lounge area outside Le Bistro next to Bar Central area with comfy seating.

The main pool does not have retractable roof.

The private courtyard villa cabin area pool has retractable roof but you have to be in one of those cabins to use the area.

The beer/whiskey bar has leather chairs and couches.

The Carona Cigar room has leather chairs and couches.

The Star Bar also has great couches and chairs overlooking the pool area.

In the spa, there are lounge chairs with a forward view.

From my understanding, a TA is not usually a full sailing. I think you will find plenty of spaces to rest! Enjoy your trip.

coka

I forgot to add ...

The Garden Cafe can be a relaxing area during non peak dining times.

At the lido pool, both sides are covered so people can sit in the shade. Nearby are loungers set up in a U shape...

If the weather is nice, there are also really comfy circular loungers for two or four to use on the sun deck above the Bali Hai Bar and Grill. They look like big circular beds...but you can move parts of them to sit up in or to lay entirely down in.

coka

It's interesting that you ask this question since it was something we specifically noted while on board! GEM does indeed have all the lounge areas mentioned by others, but during sea days on my December cruise, we (a group of 6) felt the major drawback to her design was that there were no areas we considered good to curl up in with a book.

I can tell you that IMHO, GEM doesn't have lounges as quiet or as comfy as those on HAL (and most other) ships. Lounge areas on GEM are mostly grouped together, one after the other and tend to be walk-throughs (except Spinnaker and Bliss) therefore not conducive to reading or quiet relaxing. On sea days, we found the card room, library and Latitudes lounge full to the brim with people who seemed immovable!!

She's a beautiful ship, but quiet indoor places with sofas to really nestle and relax were few and far between. Face it, cruise ships are still designed really for folks to spend time outdoors, whether or not they sail in the North Atlantic or Alaska!! Is this also a reflection of the assumption that increasingly larger numbers will sail with advantage of balcony (also, independent of geography!!)?

Good luck choosing...and have a great cruise no matter what line!

I do wish there was an indoor pool with retractable roof, but I'll settle for the heated pool and hot tubs.

My favorite place to read on NCL Pearl (same as GEM) was the aft area behind the Great Outdoors after the lunch buffet was closed. It was nice because it has sun or shade areas and it was so relaxing watching the wake off the back of the ship. It is also a wonderful spot at night for a cocktail under the stars or late night cup of tea or coffee before turning in.

I do wish there was an indoor pool with retractable roof, but I'll settle for the heated pool and hot tubs.

My favorite place to read on NCL Pearl (same as GEM) was the aft area behind the Great Outdoors after the lunch buffet was closed. It was nice because it has sun or shade areas and it was so relaxing watching the wake off the back of the ship. It is also a wonderful spot at night for a cocktail under the stars or late night cup of tea or coffee before turning in.

Great unless you're on the North Atlantic during most of the year!! :eek: Brrrrr. If you're able to be outside at all, might as well find a deck chair in some isolated spot!

I guess we must be pretty picky since any old chair didn't work for us -- we needed "curl-up-ability!!!" :rolleyes:

Archived