Hong Kong: Where to buy Octopus card

Miss Jolly

Our family plans to see Hong Kong independently when we arrive in April on Diamond Princess. It seems that the Octopus card will be of help to us. Where do we buy it please?

We bought ours at the information desk at the MRT (Subway) station Tsim Sha Tsui. They were great to use and so convenient. I am sure they are on the Hong Kong side as well but we stayed in Kowloon so it was more convenient. The bird and fish markets were very interesting. Very crowded. If you need to check your email or send one that doesn't cost the earth and you have time, go the the YMCA hotel on Salisbury Road just near the harbour. You go to the check out in the cafeteria on the ground floor to the left hand side to buy some time and get a password. Very affordable. They are helpful. Depends what you do. We caught the bus to Harbour City from the Princess and then did our own thing. Long queues waiting to catch the bus back though. :o

It is a small world. Buderim is a lovely spot though we could do with some rain here. Hope your cruise goes well. You might run out of time to do everything you want to do in Shanghai. We did a tour with Princess to Yuan Gardens, but it was too short because they wouldn't let us stop to look at the surrounding old city which frustrated my husband no end ("No shopping, no stopping!!) and then they dropped us off at the Silk Markets for hours. He had trouble changing money there even though they said he could because the money booth was closed by time we got there. The Old city looked quite interesting but it was very crowded and then in the area outside there were a lot of beggars which I found very sad. We want to go back to Shanghai to do at our own pace in the future. There were lots of places that we didn't see because of time constraints.

Have fun in Bangkok. We are planning on returning there this September. I look forward to your posts and details about your individual touring. :)

Archived