Best tip used?

TERMITEJR

Power strip, over the door shoe thingy (great for cameras, sunscreen, batteries, pens/post-its, medications, band-aids, etc) and snap hooks (suction hooks that are really strong) I got a package of several for just a couple of bucks. The were great for hats, towels & beach bags. I even used one to hold up my make-up bag.

081492176800md.jpg

Thought it would be good for 1st timers to see all the tips we've used from all the experienced cruisers on this site in one thread

mine is simple but I never thought of it, and that was the over the door shoe holder, worked GREAT for all the stuff that would otherwise clutter your counter

The best tip? Go with a positive attitude.

Go expecting to have a good time and you will. Go expecting to find problems and you will.

One importnat thing is to disinfect the live preservers, before you even have to put them on in the muster drill.

We went to our room, we where disinfecting stuff and they called for the drill. I had read it in the boards some where to do this too so i made sure to.

Uh.....has anyone ever in the history of cruising gotten sick from the lifejackets? At a certain point this begins to sound a bit obsessive. What are you imagining might be living on the lifejackets? And frankly, other than during muster, if you ever have the occasion to use them, a few random germs are going to be the least of your concerns.

Uh.....has anyone ever in the history of cruising gotten sick from the lifejackets? At a certain point this begins to sound a bit obsessive. What are you imagining might be living on the lifejackets? And frankly, other than during muster, if you ever have the occasion to use them, a few random germs are going to be the least of your concerns.

Just wear a surgical mask and gloves and you'll be fine:D

Soap and water is the only thing that kills virus germs. There were numerous thread about this last winter when the Norovirus was visiting many ships. Just wash you hands, often.

I am quirky too however. I don't touch the hand rails, press the elevator buttons with my elbow and use a paper towel or my sleeve to open bathroom doors when I exit. That's my tip. To each their own, if disinfecting makes your cruise the very best for you, do it as YOU ARE ON VACATION!!!!!!! Happy Cruising, 7 days to go:) Kaboochi

Kids who grow up on farms have fewer allergies and get sick less often because their bodies develop the ability to fight off germs. Kids who grow up in highly sanitized settings get sick more often, have more allergies, and are knocked low by every germ that goes by because they haven't encountered very many. I think the lesson here is wallow in the germs while young and you won't have to worry later in life. And experts in fact advise against the antibacterial wipes and gels except in extraordinary situations. From what little I have seen, cruise ships are about as sanitized as any setting you are apt to encounter.

Kids who grow up on farms have fewer allergies and get sick less often because their bodies develop the ability to fight off germs. Kids who grow up in highly sanitized settings get sick more often, have more allergies, and are knocked low by every germ that goes by because they haven't encountered very many. I think the lesson here is wallow in the germs while young and you won't have to worry later in life. And experts in fact advise against the antibacterial wipes and gels except in extraordinary situations. From what little I have seen, cruise ships are about as sanitized as any setting you are apt to encounter.

I agree with you 100% about the cleanliness of cruise ships, but have to take exception with the farm kids thing (lol) because I was one and my mom would go into hysterics if anyone thought we were exposed to more germs than the average kid. There was a whole lot of disinfecting and santizing going on at the farm, even back in the 60's and 70's.

I can't worry about life vests being sanitized because then I'd have to worry about airline seats and taxi cabs :D

but have to take exception with the farm kids thing (lol) because I was one and my mom would go into hysterics if anyone thought we were exposed to more germs than the average kid. :D

I think it was just living on the farm- animals and all that they produce, fertilizer, etc. Not meaning dirt in living quarters. But this is from a series of scientific studies. Anecdotally, we had friends whose house was so clean that one could eat out of the darkest corner of the kitchen. The kids were sick all the time! I am a great believer in dirt. And germs. I forbid the use of all those antimicrobial things around the house. It is such an American obsession- cleanliness. All those sprays and multiple showers and changing ones cloths several times a day because they might be a bit sweaty or dirty- long live a bit of dirt I say!

Tips about demagnitizing S&S card

I knew not to put my S&S card near my cellphone but didn't even think about my little small handbag that closed with a magnetic clasp.

After my 2nd S&S card would not work and going to the pursers desk to get the 3rd, as I was putting the card into my cute little handbag I realized what my problem was. It was one of those DUH moments.

Here's my 2 cents: In addition to the over the door shoe holder for things, I bring a hang up shoe holder for the closet. It will hold shoes, formal purse, socks, etc. whatever you don't want to put on the closet floor.

Best tip: Relax, don't be too picky about everyone else and have a GREAT time.

CKM:p

We try to pack 1 suitcase only half full because we always seem to bring back more than we came with.

Instead of bringing laundry bags to put dirty clothes, we use the plastic laundry bags in the closet. If you ask your room attendant, he'll bring you more.

Pack less clothes than you think you'll need but pack more medicine than you think you'll need.

Also, before you leave for your cruise, go to the cruise website and try to memorize the layout of the ship. Pay special attention to your cabin, dining room, and theater location.

When driving to the port, my DH always puts in some extra wire coathangers. Lightweight and there is never enough in the room. I know you can ask for more but those kind where the hook stays permanently attached to the rod bug the crap out of me. I don't recommend this when flying because it's almost a surefire way to get your bag searched!

Second the power strips, bungee cord, travel alarm clock, pop-up hamper and travel bag with door hook. We use a backpack instead of a totebag. Easy to carry and can be used for boarding for water, wine, etc. Always take ziploc bags, all sizes stuck in a big one. Have taken duct tape every cruise and NEVER used it (I'm sure the one time we don't take it, it will have been needed). If you are prone to seasickness or concerned about noro, take some Unisom sleep aid with you (brand only and the light blue pill form, NOT the gel pill). It is a surefire way to stop vomiting after it's already started (a little gem from my days in OB). Bandaids (yes, you can get them at the purser's desk as well as the infirmary but who wants to walk even that far with blisters?).

For the ladies-I have a small black crocheted bag that I use for formal and casual evenings. Dresses up, dresses down and you don't have to worry about taking 2-3 add. bags. Also, a pair of black, strappy, heeled sandals that can go formal or casual. Cuts down on excess shoes. I have travel sizes of EVERYTHING I use (and, yes, I'm pretty high maintenance). Simply refill when you get home and you are always set to go.

Get to the Terminal around 11:00 and most likely you will be eating and enjoying the DOD before 12:00 and sit back and watch all those that dont think they can arrive early fighting everyone else to get on board:D

It pays to be a member of CC

here's a few of my favorite tips

1. while planning my cruise, i began with a notebook and plastic sheet protectors. we usually fly in a day early, reserve a room and a car so all of my reservations, notes, maps/directions from airport to hotel etc are pre printed, in order in my notebook. my cruise critic door sign decorates the front of my notebook. when onboard, we hang it on the door.

the notebook holds all of our valuable paperwork that i carry on the plane with us. while onboard, we keep all the capers, memos, port info and handouts in the notebook.

it also serves as a great place to safely store all of the expensive photos i usually buy. when i get home, it's a great keepsake of the cruise. i have a notebook for each cruise with all kinds of goodies (like a scrapbook kinda) and it's well organized.

2. pop up hamper-it's great (i don't mind spending one hour doing all my laundry while on the ship. i take fabric softener sheets in my luggage and then use them. so getting home with all clean laundry helps take the pain out of coming home.

3. rum runners

4. insulated mugs (tiny cups in the dining room)

From what I have read, only hand washing with soap and water prevents NORO germs. Lysol wipes and clorox kill germs but not the virus.

Washing with soap and water is the best bet, but the Clorox Anywhere spray does kill Norovirus, as it contains chlorine. I am planning on buying some in Tampa before getting onboard. I can't chance my 1 year old getting sick.

One 750 mL bottle per adult at original embarkation.

I've always been told that you can bring a reasonable amount of wine.

I've always found it reasonable to have about 1 bottle of wine per night per two people. I've never had a problem, even when enjoying in the dining room. Sometimes on Carnival I am not even charged the corkage fee they say they are going to charge me.

I called HAL about my impending trip and they said "you can bring on as much wine as you'd like."

My must have is a bra stash or pouch. It's made of lingerie material and is just the right size to hold credit cards, S&S cards, and money. It attaches to your bra straps (sorry guys, you can't have one!) and is adjustable. It hardly shows at all through clothing, and doesn't show if you have a deep enough cleavage to hide it in. It easily hand washes, preferably when not wearing it!!

I've never seen this product!

I would love to know where to get one.

After I unpack in the cabin, I put an open suitcase just under the edge of the bed. Then I just slide it out a bit and stick folded dirty clothes in it each day. When one gets full, I start the next one. By the end of the cruise, the suitcases are full of all the dirty clothes and only a few things are left to pack on that last evening!

I got my shoeholder at Dollar Tree. It's very lightweight and folds flat. When we were on Fantasy, it fit perfectly on the two hooks on the bathroom door. We didn't need it on the Legend as it had lots of bathroom shelves.

I also took a plastic basket (about 10" x 8"). It fit in my suitcase when filled with little stuff like folded undies and took up practically no space. I put it on a closet shelf to hold lots of odds and ends.

Our last cruise my DH used a plastic coupon holder for all of our documents. It was VERY handy. Small enough to tuck into a carry on pocket so you can access it quickly and easily when you are going through the embarkation process. Also came in handy when going on excursions.

I just used my drivers license. Worked well.

Can you tell me what you mean by using the magnetic strip for opening and closing the in cabin safe? I have'nt heard of this before, is this all cruise lines? We are travelling on Princess. Thanks for any info.

Archived