11/5 Spirit Cruisers: How was Grenada

platterb

We're schedule for the 12/3 sailing and saw where the second Spirit cruisers actually stopped at Grenada this week. When you get home tomorrow, anxious to hear how things were. How did the shore excursions go? Which ones received favorable or unfavorable comments?

Thanks for the heads up!

I posted a review of the 11/5 cruise elsewhere here, but I would say that Grenada is a long way from being ready. People did tours...all they told me was that it was "total devastation" and they had a good time. We walk around the harbor to The Nutmeg for rum punch and a snack (recommend it). There are many buildings with blue tarps in place of a roof, but as you look closer many more buildings have no roof at all, including the fire station. The Nutmeg had a roof, but the windows were all broken out. First floor businesses were generally OK, but second floors were often destroyed. Look carefully at the buildings on the harbor edge and up the mountains...eventually you realize how devastated it is. Ships should be going to St Vincent and people should be donating to the Red Cross.

I just got off the ship today also . We hired a taxi and did a private tour 3 of us with a another couple . We had a great taxi driver who took good care of us but the man has 6 kids and he lost everything they owned in the Hurricane . This was his first day of work since the storm . they had a smaller ship a day or so before us but we were the first big ship. Most of the island is still with out power and many roads have power lines down and trees down many places you can no go yet . houses ,buildings destroyed all over . The trees many down or broken or bare of leaves . I felt so bad for the people when I brought things I did not try to bargin them down . On the beach the venders were terrible But i can understand they were just trying to make some money after such devastation and they were not too pushy if I said no thank you . I can see both sides to going or not to go .Yes some areas are unsafe . But people should do reseach and know what to expect , talk to people find out what is ok or not . we were perfectly safe . And the Island needs what ever tourism dollars they can get to start to rebuild their lives as the other big industry spices will takes years to build up again Nutmeg they are major produces I heard it takes 7 years for a tree to start producing .anyway each person has their own opinion on to go or not but I am glad we did .

I was on the Nov 5th sailing as well. Woke up Tuesday morning offshore of Grenada and only could see the ruins of the soccer stadium and thought what are we doing here!!

BUT we tendered in and found a wonderful group of human beings who were truely happy to see us. Young children standing in uniforms greeting everyone with handshakes, brought tears to my eyes ( still does thinking of it now). We found a cab and took a 4 hour tour of the island for $20 a person. It was a bargin. Great people. They need a break and you'll be missing out on a life experience if you chose to stay on the ship. I'm sure they'd rather show you their homeland than for you to give money to the Red Cross. At least you know ALL the money you hand to a local is going to be put to use.

They need a break and you'll be missing out on a life experience if you chose to stay on the ship. I'm sure they'd rather show you their homeland than for you to give money to the Red Cross. At least you know ALL the money you hand to a local is going to be put to use.

Thanks for mentioning that! I was wondering how the help was being distributed there. I am sure the Red Cross is doing a great job...but alone it can't possibly meet all their needs. It would make more sense to buy their wares and patronize their businesses or tourist sites and use their transportation like the cabs etc. Not that contributing to the Red Cross would not be appreciated too...but a direct contribution is probably very welcomed.

Where exactly did you hire the cab you used? We were thinking of doing the same. I think that would be better than a ship tour since the ship is probably making the most money from it.

Thanks for mentioning that! I was wondering how the help was being distributed there. I am sure the Red Cross is doing a great job...but alone it can't possibly meet all their needs. It would make more sense to buy their wares and patronize their businesses or tourist sites and use their transportation like the cabs etc. Not that contributing to the Red Cross would not be appreciated too...but a direct contribution is probably very welcomed.

I hope I didn't come across as putting the Red Cross down. They do good work. These people really need money in their hands to help them recover.

Where exactly did you hire the cab you used? We were thinking of doing the same. I think that would be better than a ship tour since the ship is probably making the most money from it.

When you tender into the pier the cabs are located right outside the customs building. You can't miss them

I hope I didn't come across as putting the Red Cross down. They do good work.

Absolutely not! My husband and I have been donating to the Red Cross for years. It's a wonderful, wonderful organization. But, lets put things into perspective here. A cruise ship of thousands of people who can directly help these people will just go hand in hand with the help the Red Cross is giving too. It adds to it, simple as that!

Hi

We also stopped at Grenada. The Spirit was making its first stop there, to drop off water and rice and supplies (Good for Norwegian) and the other was to help the economy of Grenada. Yes it was terrible to see the damage to the island, but the people are very grateful and no one seemed as pushy as they are on Roatan. We did a ship tour which was very good, but the roads are frightening considering how narrow they are and the curves are unbelievable, but we felt the stop was worth it.. if just to make us appreciate more what we have to be thankful for..

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but you did give the impression that the Red Cross was on the same page as the United Way a few years ago.

They're not.

NO ORGANIZATION DOES MORE TO HELP DISASTER VICTIMS THAN THE RED CROSS!!!

Sorry. Down off my soapbox now.

On past cruises, I've put together some donations to schools in third world countries. Did anyone see a school or know of a local relief organization that could get some school supplies to kids in Grenada?

I'd like to keep this as low key as possible, so email me if you know of anyone that can help. mrtractor@earthlink.net

MrT<--------says "no good deed goes unpunished"- unless you don't get caught!!! HAHAHahahhahahaahahahaaaaaa....whooohoooooo...............

if there's anything we can bring to the kids/families in Grenada? I'm planning to bring an almost empty suitcase (to bring back Christmas presents!); may as well put some stuff in it to bring there? I was thinking crayons, paper, pencils?? Any ideas? Or anywhere on the web I can find ideas?

We just got back from our cruise on the 18th. I thought we were the 1st to stop at Grenada on the 13th but it looks like someone else beat us. We debated on getting off the ship but were glad we did. If you want to know what to bring, bring your money. These people were thrilled to see us but no one was begging, they were trying to sell you something, be it spices, tours flowers or pictures. They are a strong people, the devestation was terrible. I don't know if I could be smiling so much. Most of the homes that we saw were totally destroyed, but there would be clean wash hanging behind it, showing that there were people still living in them. I didn't bargain either but did get really good buys on the spices and vanilla. Ok off my soapbox too. Go and see the island, as the other poster said, just to remind us how lucky we are.

We never saw a beggar there and they have every reason to be begging.. The people really have a good attitude and if you go up into some of the smaller stores around town (not the cruise ship reccommended necessarily) you will meet and find out how the folks are survivng and what needs they really have..

I can't tell you where to spend your money, but the local folks can sure use it..and are grateful.

HAPPY SAILING

Bud & Brenda

Archived