Which Ships Overnight In Istanbul?

Unless you are really interested in doing something at night, many ships that overnight there still only spend about a "day" of useful time (e.g., they dock around noon of one day and depart around noon of the next day). So in terms of sightseeing or shopping, you really have about the same amount of time.

Having two full days in Istanbul would be WONDERFUL.

Unless you are really interested in doing something at night, many ships that overnight there still only spend about a "day" of useful time (e.g., they dock around noon of one day and depart around noon of the next day). So in terms of sightseeing or shopping, you really have about the same amount of time.

Ahhh. Good point.

The Norwegian Jade has cruises the embark/disembark in Istanbul. We are on one that embarks from Istanbul (to Barcelona) on Nov 2nd. The ship is overnight in Istanbul before sailing. We are also spending 3 nights in Istanbul before embarking.

The Norwegian Jade has cruises the embark/disembark in Istanbul. We are on one that embarks from Istanbul (to Barcelona) on Nov 2nd. The ship is overnight in Istanbul before sailing. We are also spending 3 nights in Istanbul before embarking.

Embarking in Istanbul with precruise stay seems the best way to see the city compared to visiting for one full day in port.

Embarking in Istanbul with precruise stay seems the best way to see the city compared to visiting for one full day in port.

The ports for embarkation (Istanbul) and disembarkation (Barcelona) were one of the main reasons we chose the Norwegian Jade cruise.

I think you hit the nail on the head! Many of these major European cities have so many sights to see that one day (or even two) just isn't enough.

Arrive 2 or 3 days before and start your cruise in Istanbul. Finish maybe in Athens, Venice or Rome.:)

Our Azamara Quest cruise docked overnight in Istanbul this past October ... we arrived at 11 a.m. and departed the next day at 7 p.m. which gave us a good length of time to explore ... with enough left to see that we'll look forward to a return visit.:)

I am going on the Instanbul-Athens cruise leaving Instanbul on the 24th of August. We can be on the boat on the 23rd of August. My husband and I decided to come in 3 days earlier to visit the city. It is suppose to be very beautiful and it as alot of history. I do not think one or two days can do it justice from what I read. If you need more information contact me at Dicrepe2@aol.com

I do not think one or two days can do it justice from what I read.

That's the case with so many ports in the Med, especially large cities. For anyone starting or ending a cruise there, it makes sense to tack on a couple of extra days, but for those wishing to start/end in another city, a day or two in Istanbul will give you time to visit some of the highlights, and to get an idea of whether you want to return. We would gladly return, but not everyone we spoke to felt the same way.

Archived