Need help with Scuba Fins

momeagle36

I am want to buy my own scuba fins I already have my snorkel mask and snorkel I do know that I want a full foot fin but other than that what am I looking for and who do you recommend I really dont want to spend a huge amount of money but want something that will do a good job we will be doing our open water dives in Roatan for our certification.:D Also what is the difference between a scuba fin and a snokel fin out of curiosity?

Susan

Momeagle36

You might want to try http://www.leisurepro.com/

I've ordered lots of gear from them including fins.

Typically full foot fins are for snorkeling because they are shorter and open heel fins are for scuba. You need to wear dive boots with most open heel fins. When scuba diving you want long fins so that you have more to push with as you propel yourself through the water.

I am want to buy my own scuba fins I already have my snorkel mask and snorkel I do know that I want a full foot fin but other than that what am I looking for and who do you recommend I really dont want to spend a huge amount of money but want something that will do a good job we will be doing our open water dives in Roatan for our certification.:D Also what is the difference between a scuba fin and a snokel fin out of curiosity?

Susan

Momeagle36

Yep, comparison price on scubatoys, scuba, snorkelmart, leisurepro and diversdirect (all .com). But make sure the site guarantees a "fit or return policy". This is a policy that if the fin doesn't fit you can return it for no charge for another size of the same item. Also if you have a local scuba shop in the area you can see what they have. This time of year a lot of shops are turning over their rental equipment for newer models (also renting from them is an option if you aren't going to do be in the water on a regular basis).

As far as snorkel/dive fins, mostly marketing with two exceptions. Dive fins are typically longer to provide more propulsion in currents and at depth, something snorkelers normally don't have to deal with. Also most dive fins have gone to a "split fin" configuration that propels by the two halves of the fin blade oscilating causing a "propeler propulsion" as opposed to the traditional "up/down" propulsion of a solid blade.

Randall

My recommendation is boots and open heeled fins. Much more secure, easier to put on in the water, easier to carry through surf. Every student I have had that insisted on buying full foot fins has lost one or both at some point. I also highly recommend spring straps instead of adjustables.

Just my 2 cents.

Dale

PADI OWSI

I have some Scubapro Twin Jet Max with boots, not cheap but I would buck up to good fins, they take a beating.

If nothing else a good pair of quality fins will last twice as long and not leave you stranded with a busted strap on a dive 3000 miles from home! (or bring spares)

Full foot fins are, in my opinion, the best bet for warm water diving and proper fit is the most important issue.

Don't worry about the difference between split fins and non-splits. It's a personal preference thing and they will all work well so long as they fit correctly.

You can email Larry at Scubatoys.com. He can help you with the fitting, and you can always count on great prices and service.

Full foot fins are, in my opinion, the best bet for warm water diving and proper fit is the most important issue.

Don't worry about the difference between split fins and non-splits. It's a personal preference thing and they will all work well so long as they fit correctly.

You can email Larry at Scubatoys.com. He can help you with the fitting, and you can always count on great prices and service.

Thanks for the help I really dont like the feel of the boots and open fins I was using full foot fins for our scuba classes and I really liked them and there was no way they were going to fall off I will send an email to Larry in the next week and see what he can do for me and my DH I have a little time left since our cruise is a little less than 5 weeks away now, but I am especially excited about doing our open water dives and getting our certifications.

Susan

Momeagle36

Thanks for the help I really dont like the feel of the boots and open fins I was using full foot fins for our scuba classes and I really liked them and there was no way they were going to fall off I will send an email to Larry in the next week and see what he can do for me and my DH I have a little time left since our cruise is a little less than 5 weeks away now, but I am especially excited about doing our open water dives and getting our certifications.

Susan

Momeagle36

A properly fitted boot and open heel fin will not fall off and shouldn't give you the feeling of falling off. The upside to open heel with a dive boooty is that if your doing a shore dive and you need to walk in you have some protection on your feet. Also you will have some grip on a boat deck with dive boots while bare feet can be slippery and I forgot about ladders on bare feet they can be a liitle painful when you consider you may be climibing out of the water with 40+pounds of gear on your back.

Hello! I highly recommend LeisurePro.com. I just bought fins for both myself and my wife from their website. Both did not fit, but cost nothing to send back and exchange sizes! They are very fast on shipping, also!

My wife loves full footed fins also. She feels more comfortable with these type of fins. Full footed fins also provide the best propulsion (I didn't believe this until I looked at several scientific tests online). I myself have split fins (Apollo Bio-fins with spring straps), and love them! Either type will work as long as they fit perfect! John

I too, used to love the full foot fins until I used my first pair of open heel fins with boots. The boots are great for walking across the rocks to get into the water when snorkeling or doing a shore dive. Open heel fins without boots can be a pain to the top of your feet.

I too, used to love the full foot fins until I used my first pair of open heel fins with boots. The boots are great for walking across the rocks to get into the water when snorkeling or doing a shore dive. Open heel fins without boots can be a pain to the top of your feet.

Totally agreed, once you go open heel and boots, its so much better. When i wear closed heels, I typically get cramps in my foot, and blisters. But that may just be that i have size 13 feet.

Susan

Momeagle36

Hello Susan,

Snorkeling fins are not going to be the same as scuba fins. Swimming at the surface is different than swimming underwater. Snorkeling fins will tend to be less powerful and lighter. There are exceptions to this rule but if you are going scuba diving, buy scuba fins.

I liked the feel of full foot fins so my first pair of fins were full foot. I did boat dives all the time. After I did my first shore dive in Curacao I bought a pair of open heel fins. If you put your fins on and try walking out in the surf you are asking for trouble and could possibly hurt yourself. Most people will walk out with their fins in hand and put them on in the water. Open heel fins are easier to get on in the water plus walking out with neoprene boots are better if there are rocks and debris. When I walked out with my full foot fins in Curacao it was REALLY hard on my feet.

If you do decide to go with full foot fins anyway, I would recommend something like the Mares Avanti Quattro.

If you decide to get open heel fins instead, I would recommend Apollo Bio-fins. They claim to be easier to use, less stress on your legs, better forward motion with each kick, etc. Unless you are going to get into wreck or cave diving and need specialized kicks, etc. I think you'll like the Bio-fin.

Last year I was partnered with a hyperactive teenager who felt diving was racing. It took everything I had to keep up with the kid using my Mares fins. I bought the Bio-fins because of the reviews. Last fall I was getting training with a seasoned dive instructor. We did some nav. When we got back on the boat she took me aside and berated me for 'racing'. Told me to slow down and that it took everything she had to keep up with me. I wasn't kicking hard at all. It was the Bio-fins! They rock.

Downside to the Bio-fins, they are heavy. Adds to your luggage weight. However, it reduces the amount of weight you have to wear.

• 1 month later...
I've seen where some claim that split fins also help on air consumption...any thoughts on that theory? Thanks!

Beginning of last summer I took a Wreck Diving course. My buddy for one of the dives was a twenty something kid with ADHD (I mean that literally). He was SO hyper it was unreal. When we get down to the wreck (90'+) he takes off. It took EVERYTHING I had just to keep him within sight. Once or twice he stopped to look at something and I could catch up.

I decided I needed better fins. I was diving with these blade fins and if you put in the effort you could go fast but you'd use up a lot of air and I'd occasionally cramp up.

After much research I found claims of how split fins were easier to use. Because they required less effort and properly used all the energy into forward propulsion, you could go faster and further with lower air consumption.

For reasons I won't get into, I had to finish my course at the end of the summer. I'm the only student so my dive buddy is the instructor. I'm diving a wreck at 100' on air. My instructor is diving on Nitrox. I usually last 10 minutes at 100'. This dive, with my new Apollo Bio-fins, I'm pushing deco limits before I run out of air. Dive lasts twice as long! The dive seems effortless.

Here is the REAL kicker. We get back on the boat and my instructor takes me aside for a 'chat'. She gives me a stern talking about how it is not a race and during our navigation exercise it took everything she had just to keep up with me. She actually lost me a few times. I'M SWIMMING LIKE A TWENTY SOMETHING! It took me a few seconds to figure it out but then I realized, it was the fins!

Apollo was the creator of the original split fin. Many have tried to copy them but all the reviews I read put the Bio-fin as the best. The one downside to the Bio-fin is it is heavy out of water. If you are travelling it will add significant weight to your luggage.

Here is a link giving more biased information about it http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Overview.htm. The independent review which sold me on them, above regular, paddle fins was http://www.scubadiving.com/article/18_New_Fins/.

Beginning of last summer I took a Wreck Diving course. My buddy for one of the dives was a twenty something kid with ADHD (I mean that literally). He was SO hyper it was unreal. When we get down to the wreck (90'+) he takes off. It took EVERYTHING I had just to keep him within sight. Once or twice he stopped to look at something and I could catch up.

I decided I needed better fins. I was diving with these blade fins and if you put in the effort you could go fast but you'd use up a lot of air and I'd occasionally cramp up.

After much research I found claims of how split fins were easier to use. Because they required less effort and properly used all the energy into forward propulsion, you could go faster and further with lower air consumption.

For reasons I won't get into, I had to finish my course at the end of the summer. I'm the only student so my dive buddy is the instructor. I'm diving a wreck at 100' on air. My instructor is diving on Nitrox. I usually last 10 minutes at 100'. This dive, with my new Apollo Bio-fins, I'm pushing deco limits before I run out of air. Dive lasts twice as long! The dive seems effortless.

Here is the REAL kicker. We get back on the boat and my instructor takes me aside for a 'chat'. She gives me a stern talking about how it is not a race and during our navigation exercise it took everything she had just to keep up with me. She actually lost me a few times. I'M SWIMMING LIKE A TWENTY SOMETHING! It took me a few seconds to figure it out but then I realized, it was the fins!

Apollo was the creator of the original split fin. Many have tried to copy them but all the reviews I read put the Bio-fin as the best. The one downside to the Bio-fin is it is heavy out of water. If you are travelling it will add significant weight to your luggage.

Here is a link giving more biased information about it http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Overview.htm. The independent review which sold me on them, above regular, paddle fins was http://www.scubadiving.com/article/18_New_Fins/.

Hi,

I have the best of both worlds, I have both the open healed and close heal bio-fins (shorter and lighter than the open healed version but still work great). When snorkeling, I use the close heal fins with neoprene socks, and dive with the open heals. They are quick and really do relieve a lot of the propulsion strength needed. I have a similar story, I had a dive buddy that was always cramping or running out of air on me. So on the second of a two-tank dive, I suggested he switch fins with me (he had straight blade fins and I had on my open-healed bio-fins). OMG, I felt like I had concrete blocks tied to my legs. I didn't understand how well they worked until I switched with my buddy. I haven't put on another fin since. BTW, I caught the close heal fins on sale for $39 a year or so ago, haven't seen that price since.

Randall

I agree with the others about split fins, specifically Bio-fins. I seemed to cramp up with one calf during the 2nd or 3rd dive of the day all the time. I invested in Bio-fins, and can honestly say that I haven't had a single leg cramp since! I love my fins, including the spring straps. As far as air consumption, I have noticed that I do not use as much air/nitrox as with my previous blade fins. Also, you do increase in speed without realizing it.

John

We're snorkelers not divers. Also, we only get to snorkel a couple times a year at best.

Over the past 15 years I've bought about 4 pairs of fins. One thing I've realized is that the best fins for us are small. While we liked larger open heel dive fins because the boots made it easier for water entry (as opposed to going barefoot for a bit) we found that they were harder to use for snorkeling and a real pain to carry around - both to/from home in our luggage and between the ship and the snorkeling spot.

These days we usually rent fins, or use those provided on excursions, where possible. These tend to be smaller full foot fins designed for snorkelers. When this isn't possible we now usually bring some small US divers open heel fins designed for bare feet and snorkeling with us. These are marketed as Shredder II and another style as well and often advertised as "travel" fins due to their size. Inexpensive and fairly small to pack, carry and use.

I'll also mention that we use a pair of neoprene fin socks. These are fairly thin neoprene, have no soles, and run about $10/pair. There are several brands available from online dealers. These are designed to be worn with fins that are made for bare feet like full foot fins or the US divers Shredder II travel fins I mentioned above. These are a huge help with getting proper fit on these fins and avoiding the slipping and rubbing that cause chaffing, blisters and sore feet. They also offer a very small amount of foot protection when getting into and out of the water - not much since they have no soles but just enough to make it easier for me to walk on the rocks as I have very sensitive feet and I'm not used to going barefoot.

Thanks for all the advice on the split fins. I've always been an air hog. :( I'm not sure if it's from 35 years of smoking (which I quit in 2005) or what. I'm in good shape, work out daily, etc but I still use lots of air. It really frustrating and I don't want to cause others to shorten their dives due to me. I thougt maybe these fins would help. Thanks again :D

Thanks for all the advice on the split fins. I've always been an air hog. :( I'm not sure if it's from 35 years of smoking (which I quit in 2005) or what. I'm in good shape, work out daily, etc but I still use lots of air. It really frustrating and I don't want to cause others to shorten their dives due to me. I thougt maybe these fins would help. Thanks again :D

It is possible that smoking has had an impact but not smoking for 4 years should help.

One other thing which could be affecting your air consumption is buoyancy control. A lot of the time people are carrying too much weight. To compensate you need to add air to the BCD. As you go down the air in the BCD compresses so you need to add more. If you don't add more you start to sink. A natural reaction to this is to try and swim up. This makes you breath harder and you use up your air.

If you master your buoyancy just a little I bet you see a marked improvement in your air consumption. If you work on it enough that you are placing the weights so you have good trim, make less of a hole in the water, lay more horizontal, etc. then you will see an even greater improvement.

The fins will help a little but good buoyancy control helps a lot.

If you dive at home talk to your local dive shop about Peak Performance Buoyancy course (PADI) or something to help you with your buoyancy.

If you just dive on vacation, see if one of the shore excursions can do the Peak Performance Buoyancy Adventure Dive. You'd ask the ship shore excursion desk if they can contact one of the shore excursion dive shops to see if they can do this while the rest of the group goes for a two tank dive.

If you are okay with booking your own shore excursions, find a dive shop near port and ask if they can do it. I know The Dive Bus in Curacao would be able to do this for you.

Yet another alternative, buy a copy of PADI's Adventures In Diving manual (ISBN 978-1-878663-08-5) and see if you can do it on your own. I got my Advanced Open Water certification. They use this book for it. There are 16 chapters in the book and you'd cover 5 for AOW. I looked at the chapter on Peak Performance Buoyancy and did the exercises on my own. Had amazing results. I used to be the first guy up (40 feet for 30 minutes, 2600 PSI). Now I'm diving 60 feet for 60 minutes. The only reason I come up is because my computer tells me I'm nitrogen loaded. Last Caribbean dive I got a short fill (2900 PSI) and I still had 1200 PSI when we finished the dive. I was first in and last out.

It is possible that smoking has had an impact but not smoking for 4 years should help.

One other thing which could be affecting your air consumption is buoyancy control. A lot of the time people are carrying too much weight. To compensate you need to add air to the BCD. As you go down the air in the BCD compresses so you need to add more. If you don't add more you start to sink. A natural reaction to this is to try and swim up. This makes you breath harder and you use up your air.

If you master your buoyancy just a little I bet you see a marked improvement in your air consumption. If you work on it enough that you are placing the weights so you have good trim, make less of a hole in the water, lay more horizontal, etc. then you will see an even greater improvement.

The fins will help a little but good buoyancy control helps a lot.

If you dive at home talk to your local dive shop about Peak Performance Buoyancy course (PADI) or something to help you with your buoyancy.

If you just dive on vacation, see if one of the shore excursions can do the Peak Performance Buoyancy Adventure Dive. You'd ask the ship shore excursion desk if they can contact one of the shore excursion dive shops to see if they can do this while the rest of the group goes for a two tank dive.

If you are okay with booking your own shore excursions, find a dive shop near port and ask if they can do it. I know The Dive Bus in Curacao would be able to do this for you.

Yet another alternative, buy a copy of PADI's Adventures In Diving manual (ISBN 978-1-878663-08-5) and see if you can do it on your own. I got my Advanced Open Water certification. They use this book for it. There are 16 chapters in the book and you'd cover 5 for AOW. I looked at the chapter on Peak Performance Buoyancy and did the exercises on my own. Had amazing results. I used to be the first guy up (40 feet for 30 minutes, 2600 PSI). Now I'm diving 60 feet for 60 minutes. The only reason I come up is because my computer tells me I'm nitrogen loaded. Last Caribbean dive I got a short fill (2900 PSI) and I still had 1200 PSI when we finished the dive. I was first in and last out.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I don't have much problem with buoyancy control but it may not be a bad idea to take the course to see if it would help. Maybe I do and just don't realize it. We book our own excursions all the time and generally dive with the same operators when in Coz or Grand Cayman. I'll look into that. Thanks! :D

I've tried split fins and felt like I was fighting constantly against a current. There was not current and my air consumption was not as good. Currently I love diving with Azione's! They've received great reviews. The dive is not a race and you will see more if you slow down and wait for things to show up. Look for the little things and you'll be surprised how much you miss flying by quickly.

To get better air consumption, make sure you are breathing slowing and deeply. Exhale as long as you inhale. And of course, do not overweight yourself.

Thanks for the advice. :)

I don't have much problem with buoyancy control but it may not be a bad idea to take the course to see if it would help. Maybe I do and just don't realize it. We book our own excursions all the time and generally dive with the same operators when in Coz or Grand Cayman. I'll look into that. Thanks! :D

I used to think I was pretty good too but then I saw videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlUjnXBzNlc. Some of the guys I've dove with are this good or better. :) Very humbling. Dove with two guys who are founding members of CMAS (one of Europe's oldest dive agency). They were this good. Worst diver would come up with 200 PSI. I would come up with 1200 to 800 PSI. The two CMAS guys would be 20' below us (should be using gas faster) and they'd have 2000+ PSI. They told me to work on my buoyancy and just dive, dive, dive.

I used to think I was pretty good too but then I saw videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlUjnXBzNlc. Some of the guys I've dove with are this good or better. :) Very humbling. Dove with two guys who are founding members of CMAS (one of Europe's oldest dive agency). They were this good. Worst diver would come up with 200 PSI. I would come up with 1200 to 800 PSI. The two CMAS guys would be 20' below us (should be using gas faster) and they'd have 2000+ PSI. They told me to work on my buoyancy and just dive, dive, dive.

Live-aboards are great for this. My group of divers had bets on who would come back with the most air and how much weight off your belt you could take off. The winner for both was a very petite woman in our group. She did a 70' dive for an hour and came back with 2,500lbs out of 3,000 (we checked her for gils) and, with a full 3mm wetsuit on, she was able to comfortably dive with no weights by the end of the week (I went from 14lbs. to 4lbs.). So there's something to diving 3 times a day, even for just a week that will improve your weighting and consumption. :D

Randall

Archived