Review of X Solstice and Comparisons to RCI

GMoney

I appreciate how you took my comments. What matters to me may or may not matter to others, so you take what you like and leave the rest.

This is a very personal decision and I would never tell someone what to book. I will say that originally booked Aqua Class but ended but going with a balcony, and I am very glad I did - it just didn't seem to be worth the extra $. With that said, I obviously did not sail in AQ or eat in Blu or I could be missing something.

I think AQ is great for very heavy spa goers or people who want to insulate themselves using a "ship-within-a-ship" approach.

Hope you have a great time.

I appreciate the input.:) I would much rather have someone offer me a caution than let me make a mistake because they were afraid of how the input would be taken!

For DH and I, the draw to Aqua Class and Blu was the description of the foods served there. We are much more reductions, non-fried, non-heavily sauced/gravey fans in both our everyday cooking at home as well as in our choices when we dine out. It has nothing to do with being health conscious, it is just that these are the type meals our particular palates prefer.

The smaller portions that I have heard described didn't phase us in the least either. Neither of us are huge eaters and by the end of cruises we have often commented by about the end of day 4 we are just "fooded out". Blu seemed just made to fit us. :)

There's a lot of subjectiveness to reviews so I would caution anyone to make decisions based on a stranger's thoughts.(including mine ;)) I'm not invalidating Chevy's comments but I didn't find the sound in the theater too loud, chair hogs are issues on every cruise line, never smelled a nasty odor and we were all over the ship and while Nick the CD was a bit of a "gameshow" type, he was exceedingly pleasant in his interactions. Just another's opinion - doesn't make either of us wrong.

I agree. I really like to read many reviews. Those like this one are very helpful in allowing us to evaluate whether the pluses and minuses that the author evaluated would impact our cruise experience or not.

Now the reviews that are all just "Oh, it was wonderful. Everything perfect! Could NOT be better". And the "Worst cruise I was ever on! I will never sail ____ again!!" Those are totally useless to me because I know no cruise can be absolutely perfect and few cruises can be that bad. And without examples and specifics you can't relate the review to your particular cruising needs.

With that, I’m kind of left without ship. RCI is still a good experience, but feels a little “been there, done that.” I’m finding it hard it get too excited about my Oasis OTS cruise in a year, but maybe that will change. I may try HAL Eurodam and see what that’s all about, but I have a feeling it’s more of the same. So with all that in mind, I think it’s time to look at non-cruise vacations. It’s been a great 10 years, and I’m sure I will continue to sail every now and again, but not at the pace I once did. There are too many things to see and do. =)

I’d be happy to help with any questions, and will try to post some pictures later.

Hi Patrick...thanks so much for your excellent review concerning Solstice. Your closing sentiment echoes exactily how Keith and I are feeling at this time. It's funny you mentioned Eurodam...just yesterday I printed up a E'dam itinerary (04-25-09) for Keith to take a look over. I also have my eye on an Oceania promotion for 2010. (We're still trying to catch up with your 350+ days at sea!) :D

Wherever your travels take you, land or sea, we wish you the best. Thanks again for all your well written contributions to CC!

Trudy

Tranquil - Blu is the perfect example of what we have discussed. Friends onboard ate there every night and LOVED IT. Other friends walked out the first night and never looked back. We had an excellent experience eating in Bistro, others waited an hour for their food and gave up. There are still some service kinks to work out but I have faith in X and the SOlstice crew. Solstice does have a lot to offer and I think had our sailing NOT been a holiday, we would have enjoyed it even more. G Money is quite even handed in his comments, I agree. We originally booked AQ and changed to CC and am extremely glad we did.

Hi Patrick...thanks so much for your excellent review concerning Solstice. Your closing sentiment echoes exactily how Keith and I are feeling at this time. It's funny you mentioned Eurodam...just yesterday I printed up a E'dam itinerary (04-25-09) for Keith to take a look over. I also have my eye on an Oceania promotion for 2010. (We're still trying to catch up with your 350+ days at sea!) :D

Wherever your travels take you, land or sea, we wish you the best. Thanks again for all your well written contributions to CC!

Trudy

Hi Trudy - Thanks for your nice comments. I hope you and Keith are doing well and keep sailing away!

Patrick,

Thank you for this thread and your observations of the Solstice experience. Over the years, I have read your posts, and I feel that my tastes line up well with yours, so your opinions count a bunch with me.

I had been looking towards cruising on the Solstice because I feel that Royal Caribbean has been lacking of late. I had hoped that Solstice might somehow be like Celebrity during its Chandris days. From what you have written, though, it falls quite short. Pity.

So, I thank you; you have saved us from disappointment. Yes, indeed there are many places to see, and they needn't be at sea. When we do return for a cruise, it will be on a Radiance class ship. We can't quite afford the Oceania, Azamara, and above. Maybe someday, but then, even their cruise product will probably have been diminished. :(

Leslie (who hates the plastic plants!)

I enjoyed reading your thoughts as usual Patrick. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Patrick,

Thank you for this thread and your observations of the Solstice experience. Over the years, I have read your posts, and I feel that my tastes line up well with yours, so your opinions count a bunch with me.

Tony and Leslie - I appreciate your very nice comments.

I've experienced a little soot on the balcony but what you're describing sounds like a major issue.

it definitely was the one day when the stacks belched soot all over the pool area. There was a thread on the X board a few days ago from someone in an aft cabin that they were having recurring soot problems all cruise. But others on earlier cruises report no issues. So maybe my cruise was an anomaly.

..<<snip>>..5) Sound levels so loud in the theater that I had to stick my fingers in my ears until I gave up and left the show. When I complained, I was told that "corporate" sets the sound levels for the shows. BTW, I'm packing ear plugs in my cruise bag from now on! ..<<snip>>..

quote]

We went on the backstage tour of the Explorer a couple of weeks ago. During our session with the audio engineer he stated that he can control the sound level of each singer and the orchestra mikes separately so a booming Merman type can be scaled back. On RCI the audio guy runs the show with his computers sending cues to the backstage stage manager and the Lighting tech.

That being the case, the audio engineer on Solstice should be spoken to, maybe by a bunch of pax.

The backstage tour on any of these ships is always worthwhile and should be taken if available.

Archived