TA vs RCI

dacsmom

We are looking to book the FOS 2-28-10. I have always used the cruise line for booking. What are the advantages or disadvanages of using a TA.

I read posts from people who get perks from their TA. There are several TA's locally who advertise cruises and I could use one of them. I have felt more comfortable making the arrangements myself, but if I can get a better deal using a TA I will. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Quite often the prices might be lower with TA's, and they may offer additional benefits.

Don't forget they get commision on sales, so might choose to split this with their clients.

If you are planning to book on RCI, neither of the above two comments apply since RCI does not allow TAs to discount their rates nor can they rebate part of their commission. TAs can, however, offer some incentives and they can also offer great service and advice and take some of the burden of booking your cruise from you so if you place a monetary value on your time it could be worth taking it into consideration. Also, if you should have any problems before, during or at the conclusion of your cruise, having an objective advocate who can deal unemotionally with the cruiseline for you, can be extremely helpful. Check out some of those local agencies and find out what they can offer and find out how knowledgeable they are about cruises and other types of vacations. Even the most experienced cruise critics don't claim to know it all when dealing with the various cruiselines, so adding a TAs knowledge and experience to your own may result in a great cruise experience.:)

We are looking to book the FOS 2-28-10. I have always used the cruise line for booking. What are the advantages or disadvanages of using a TA.

I read posts from people who get perks from their TA. There are several TA's locally who advertise cruises and I could use one of them. I have felt more comfortable making the arrangements myself, but if I can get a better deal using a TA I will. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Once you use the TA you must deal thru the TA. In order to "fire" a TA you must get approval from the TA to change TAs or go direct with RCI. Sometimes TAs charge change fees or cancelation fees that are in addition to RCI's. My advice is don't book with a TA until you read the fine print and know exactly what will be charged to you if you change or cancel your reservation.

If you are a "take charge" person you might do better dealing direct with RCI. If you want someone to help you make decisions then a TA will do that.

IMHO: I have found working with RCI (unlike some cruise lines) that RCI has a very high level of integrity so you really don't need a "representative" to take on the company.

We book with RCI direct. Whatever you do Enjoy :)

I often use a ta, i just booked a cruise 10 day grandeur got free insurance from ta. Also booked freedom cruise with a different ta and got free gratueties. Most ta's will also order free wine for you, fom one i had 3 bottles.

Since the base price of a RCCL cruise is the same whether booking through RCCL or a TA, there are no amount of incentives or perks that would influence me to book with or transfer a booking to a TA. I much prefer booking directly with RCCL and retaining full control over my reservation, not having to go through a "middle man" at any time to make a simple change or get a price reduction. I am the type, though, that takes an interest in my reservation, not relying on someone else to do it for me.

For as many people that you'll find say go direct with RCCL, you'll find just as many that recommend using a TA. There are good TAs and bad TAs. And the TA perks may be worth it (or tempting) to you. Many people book directly with RCCL and then transfer the reservation to a TA just before final payment in order to get those perks (yet they've maintained control of their reservation up until then). I just prefer to keep my bookings directly with RCCL at all times.

I disagree with the info above - I had an email this afternoon from a TA for RCI sailings - their prices were lower than RCI's for the same stateroom and benefits on top.

I believe the confusion is that you are over on the other side of the pond from us colonials. It's different in the U.S. TAs cannot discount from the RCI price.

Since the base price of a RCCL cruise is the same whether booking through RCCL or a TA, there are no amount of incentives or perks that would influence me to book with or transfer a booking to a TA. I much prefer booking directly with RCCL and retaining full control over my reservation, not having to go through a "middle man" at any time to make a simple change or get a price reduction. I am the type, though, that takes an interest in my reservation, not relying on someone else to do it for me.

For as many people that you'll find say go direct with RCCL, you'll find just as many that recommend using a TA. There are good TAs and bad TAs. And the TA perks may be worth it (or tempting) to you. Many people book directly with RCCL and then transfer the reservation to a TA just before final payment in order to get those perks (yet they've maintained control of their reservation up until then). I just prefer to keep my bookings directly with RCCL at all times.

I agree. A TA has never done anything for me that I couldn't do better or more efficiently for myself. I only book directly with the cruiseline.

I do all the investigation on cruise specifics and cabin. When bringing the family and getting a suite, I've found that the TA agency I deal with has forwarded back an OBC to me, last time in a JS for three of us it came to 250.00. So, I saved that amount over dealing directly with RCL. When I travel solo and it is an inexpensive cruise, I do it directly online via the RCL website as it has to be a minimum of a 500. cruise for the agency (cant say the name here but its a warehouse club) to give any OBC.

I have done both.

Advantage of booking direct is easy access to all your documentation on the RCL website. Easy to go back and see what you've paid so far, when you paid it, etc. Easy to book or make changes at any time of the day or night.

Advantage of booking with a TA is that he/she will watch the cruise fares and negotiate you a lower price if the RCL posted price for your cruise drops. I just got about $200/person back on a fully-paid cruise. It never would have occurred to me to ask for a price break after the cruise was paid off. At that point, it's too late to cancel and rebook without penalty. But my TA negotiated me a discount.

I met the TA, ironically enough, at breakfast on an AOS cruise. This was the first cruise I've booked with her, but will continue to use her FOREVER! I'm already way ahead with the savings she got for me. I'm SOLD!

Archived