My Trip to the Bahamas on Discovery Cruise Line

superdrews

I really enjoyed this ship. For the price, it's a bargain. Get a room, the people up on deck looked uncomfortable.

The room (superior oceanview) was decent. I'd compare it to a motel 6. The first room was really nice, the 2nd room on the return trip had a bit of a funky smell in the bathroom.

I moved the beds next to each other and there was stuff that was underneath that should be cleaned up, but the sheets were clean and that's what matters.

I think I would have had much less of a good time had I not opted for Discovery Plus ($49/person) that I called and added on.

It allows you to get on first, skip all the lines, get off first, gets the 7 course meal (normally $35 by itself) champagne breakfast and sit down lunch which were all above average. The filet Mignon at dinner was excellent. It also transports you to your hotel and back making it an excellent value.

Have $20 or so for tips for 2 people, and an extra $20 for a key deposit. I was never asked for a $10/person security fee that I had read about, so I'm not sure what that is about.

I'd definately do this again, but you definately need to stay on the island for a day.

How many days can you stay on Grand Bahama when you take this ship?

I think is up to 60 days... whatever the Bahamians allow on a tourist visa. It is basically a ferry that runs every day. Well I think they do not go on Wednesdays anymore but all other days.

I just received an email from them and thru the end Feb. the prices are cheap. They offer combined packages for anywhere from one night to many more nights.

http://www.discoverycruiseline.com/

I think is up to 60 days... whatever the Bahamians allow on a tourist visa. It is basically a ferry that runs every day. Well I think they do not go on Wednesdays anymore but all other days.

I just received an email from them and thru the end Feb. the prices are cheap. They offer combined packages for anywhere from one night to many more nights.

Rumor has it they are stopping this route come summertime, so if you are interested. book it soon. The boat will be taken out of service and they have not found a replacement.

Rumor has it they are stopping this route come summertime, so if you are interested. book it soon. The boat will be taken out of service and they have not found a replacement.

WOW I hate to hear that! Love using the ship.

WOW I hate to hear that! Love using the ship.

Yes, it's a big blow to the locals also.. who use the ship to transport goods after a shopping spree in South Florida. Some small mom and pop shops use this to bring in their goods without the hefty port charges.

(yes, they still pay customs, but the don't have the $10, 000, container charges. )

There is some negotiating going on to replace this. Not sure if it will be a cruise, or just transportation and shipping.

Yes, it's a big blow to the locals also.. who use the ship to transport goods after a shopping spree in South Florida. Some small mom and pop shops use this to bring in their goods without the hefty port charges.

(yes, they still pay customs, but the don't have the $10, 000, container charges. )

There is some negotiating going on to replace this. Not sure if it will be a cruise, or just transportation and shipping.

We have met some wonderful locals on the trip over and back. I tried to do the fast one but by the time we wanted to go they had already folded. It was a hydrofoil that only took about 2 hours each way. We have been with people carrying all kinds of stuff off.

I reviewed the Discovery Sun on Cruise Critic a couple years ago. Here's the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=353700

I had not heard that service might be discontinued. But where they used to get $99.00 per person and sometimes more for the roundtrip, now they're offering it for $29.99. So the economy must be killing them.

BobK/Orlando

I reviewed the Discovery Sun on Cruise Critic a couple years ago. Here's the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=353700

I had not heard that service might be discontinued. But where they used to get $99.00 per person and sometimes more for the roundtrip, now they're offering it for $29.99. So the economy must be killing them.

BobK/Orlando

I checked on Feb. to use it and the lowest was $59 and Fri/Sat. was $69. I'm not sure when the $29 is or was but that is mostly a come-on to show the new prices... having said that $59 is still a good bit cheaper.

I checked on Feb. to use it and the lowest was $59 and Fri/Sat. was $69. I'm not sure when the $29 is or was but that is mostly a come-on to show the new prices... having said that $59 is still a good bit cheaper.

The $29 was indeed a capacity controlled promotional offer.

BobK/Orlando

While on GBI I spoke to several people I knew about the Discovery... in 2010 the coast guard will no longer certify the vessels hull due to age and some law changes. Discovery is in the midst of trying to find a larger ship to do the same trip. As stated by more than one they make more money with cargo than with people.

Hope everything works out as I do enjoy taking it.

Archived