Why is RCCL so expensive?

We are debating between RCCL Liberty and NCL Jewel for a December 27th, New Years cruise. We have cruised on both cruise lines several times before and find them similar in value (RCCL better entertainment, NCL better food). The price difference between the two is shocking. We are receiving quotes from RCCL that are more than $400 per person than NCL (this is for an inside cabin). With the four of us going, thats more than $1600 difference for the week. With that price difference, the choice between the ships is not a tough one.

I haven't sailed on either the Liberty or the Jewel, but have recently sailed on both the NCL Sky and the RCCL Majesty. There is absolutely no comparison. The Sky is definitely cheaper, but we got what we paid for! The food, service, cleanliness, amenities, staterooms, private island, etc. are all MUCH better on the Majesty! After trying the Sky twice (just to be sure), we said we would never sail with NCL again.

Now, maybe that's a little extreme, and maybe the bigger ships are better. But we're happy with RCCL, so we're going to stick with them, even though they're more expensive. We know we will always have good service, clean staterooms, good food, and we love the private islands. :D

We are debating between RCCL Liberty and NCL Jewel for a December 27th, New Years cruise. We have cruised on both cruise lines several times before and find them similar in value (RCCL better entertainment, NCL better food). The price difference between the two is shocking. We are receiving quotes from RCCL that are more than $400 per person than NCL (this is for an inside cabin). With the four of us going, thats more than $1600 difference for the week. With that price difference, the choice between the ships is not a tough one.

Even though ships are sailing on the same date they have different itineraries

Jewel: Roatan Honduras, Belize City Belize, Costa Maya Mexico and Great Stirrup Cay Bahamas

Liberty: Costa Maya Mexico, Belize City Belize, Cozumel Mexico and Grand Cayman Cayman Islands

I found the main dining room food on RCL to be better than NCL unless you are planning on eating at the Extra charge restaurants every night. Entertainment on the Liberty was top notch, activities were plenty on those at sea days. Three large pool areas:

2856893060104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

H20 Zone Aqua park to keep kids occupied (both ships will be packed with kids on break)

2315109840104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

Main pool deck with two pools and three hot tubs, (notice the absence of kids here, they're all in the H2O zone)

2320258150104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

2635106330104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

Adults only Solarium poll with two hot tubs that jut out the sides of the Liberty.

2381535760104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

2444078820104148394S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice walking track to burn off all of those calories each morning.

Liberty is a fantastic ship, you might have found a bargain price on the Jewel but in the back of your mind you'll be wondering if the extra cost = extra value. Choose what's important to you, you only live once (actually you can sail on the Liberty on a non Holiday week in the future too).

Mike

well on my cruise on the Legend the diffrence is crystal clear. The NCL Jewel was not personolized at all. Rather you could choose what you want but i didnt like feestyle. The Legend had much higher service and food quality.

I sailed the Legend back in 05 so things probably have changed.

On our May Legned cruise, the staff was the WORST we have ever had with 2 exceptions. The concierge and asst. waiter was both fabulous and we noted them by name on our comment card. Our cabin steward did not appear to know what she was doing - forgot ice, towels, never cleaned. I left mutiple notes requesting ice and fresh towels then complained several times but nothing got any better. In fact, she just got worse plus we could never got hold of her when we needed something. She never seemed to be around in the morning and evenings when the other stewards were cleaning. I got tired of having to run up to the pool deck everyday to get our own towels. We sent laundry out for cleaning and it took 5 days and leaving her 3 notes asking about it before we finally got our clothes back. Our waiter actually rolled his eyes at me when I couldn't decide between 2 entrees and asked for his recommendation. He was downright surly most of the time, never asked about our day or recommeded things to do in port. I realize that he was probably under stess, but I prefer to be asked politely about my dinner requests and not greeted with "What do you want". The thing that set my husband off the most was going to the dining room during lunch and being denied a table for 2 when there were several empty ones that we could see from the door. We asked what they were for and the hostess told us they were reserved for more important people than us. Nothing like having the cruiseline tell you how unimportant you are to them! The food quality was much worse than previous cruises, but food quality is personal taste so some people probably enjoyed it. I would never sail on Legend again.

If I can add my 2 cents. I find that NCL is not on a par with the other lines I sail. The food, service, and entertainment were not on the same level as the others. They brought new meaning to the term nickel and dime. You don't have to agree but that's my take.

I have been searching other lines and websites to plan my 2010 vacation. To date-as I like to travel in a suite because we had one for the first time last cruise with 4 in a room-space is a key factor in the catagory I choose. Yes-they are expensive on all lines but I have to save all year to swing it. :eek:

One thing I have found that RC does that is by far much better then any other line is the website while booking. Easy to navigate and a much better description of staterooms, size , what is included in suite service and so on. Some webistes-I do not get a clear picture of the suite as RC is quite spot on with all of that. The pictures, 360 view and the floor diagram is perfect.

I looked at the carnival and Princess suite and from the one picture they provide-it did not look as if a roll away bed could be added if your teens don't want to share a sofa bed-we all know most teens don't!! lol Floor space looked limited-I could be wrong as never sailed with them befor but the website left me asking more questions after I visited. RC answered all the important one.

Besides-RC left me much more choices and date options for the Southern Caribbean and had far better ports to visit IMO.

As for suite pricing-they all seemed around the same price. No one jumped out with-'wow, they were so much cheaper'!

After seeing the thread yesterday about P&O, Royal Caribbean is not all that bad. 4 people on a week cruise was like 8,000 pounds ($12,000 usd).

Now that's outrageous!

We always go with Royal Caribbean simply because we like the ships, staff and itinerary. With the economy they way it is, I like knowing that I will be getting what I expect for my dollar. I watched that special with Rosie O'Donnell where she book the whole cruise for NCL. I kept looking at the interior and it looked like a normal hotel, kind of like a Holiday Inn that floats. Even Rosie's room, I guess it was a suite, was nothing so dramatic and eye catching.

I love stepping on any RCCL ship and immediately getting that WOW factor. Another thing I "LOVE" about Royal Caribbean is you could be walking around the ship at 3 a.m., and there's always someone cleaning it. They do not stop cleaning the ship ever that I ever saw. To me, that's worth the price!

Why?

Have you looked at the ships lately? I am not a 100% supporter of the Freedom Class (it's OK just a tad too big for me though would sail on it again) but just look at the ship amenities and compare them to the NCL Jewel.

If price is your #1 priority stick with NCL though with their classic N & D you probably be right up there anyways in price.

If superior ship design is your #1 priority there is no question you would go with the Liberty.

We sailed on the Jewel's Christmas cruise a couple of years ago. It was our first NCL cruise after sailing RCL, Carnival and Disney. It was fine, but on the overall enjoyment front DH and I agree it was our least favorite (but still a fine cruise). The service wasn't as outstanding as the service we received on our other three cruises - again, fine to good, just not the extra mile that we got elsewhere. We missed traditional seating with same servers (and had a terrible 1st night dining room experience -- great improvement after that as we avoided that particular dining room). And there were other points. Our main reason for sailing on the Jewel was the price -- it offered a huge savings compared to other 7 night Christmas week sailings I wanted on RCL and Disney. (I didn't consider Carnival because I prefer RCL and Disney over Carnival.) Would we sail on NCL's newer ships again? Perhaps, if we must have a particular week/itinerary and there is a huge savings, but we'd go on a comparable Carnival cruise first (if prices are similar).

the liberty is a newer ship with more amenities and must be selling well for that sailing or the price would reflect that-

prices go up and down ( most of the time) on each sailing each week on every ship- sometimes the prices just go up if its a popular week to sail-

did you look at other ships for that same week? freedom of the seas navigator of the seas etc.... to see if they may be less? just curious.....

i have heard the food on ncl isnt so great- my brother liked ccl holiday over ncl spirit on all aspects of the cruise...................ccl holiday is a little rust bucket imho.......

ALL cruise lines are nickeling & diming us I find that there is more nickeling & diming these days on NCL. I have also found that you can never order anything off of the menu at dinner it provides a hassel for NCL. You have to look beyond the pricing & add up all the extra's & see how you come out especially if you have kids.

Here’s a compromise, look at the Carnival Dream, the newest & largest vessel in the Fun Ship fleet. Western Caribbean:

Carnival%20Dream.jpg

sailing from Dec 26 Port Canaveral, FL 4:00pm departure

Sun Dec 27 At Sea

Mon Dec 28 Cozumel Mexico 10:00am 6:00pm

Tue Dec 29 Roatan Honduras 10:00am 6:00pm

Wed Dec 30 Belize City Belize 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu Dec 31 Costa Maya Mexico 7:00am 2:00pm

Fri Jan 1 At Sea

Sat Jan 2 Port Canaveral FL 7:00am arrival

Costs slightly more than the NCL Jewel, less than the RCL Liberty. The Dream would be a much better ship overall to the Jewel.

Mike

Actually looks like we're just talking to the wind. "AndrewNY" posted on the NCL Jewel Dec 27 Roll call, one hour before he posted here, that he just booked the night before.

I guess he was looking for someone to confirm his choice of NCL over RCL. Seems an odd place to so it on an RCL board. "AndrewNY" probably should have waited to book after he poised his question here.

Mike

AFter leaving Carnival for RC we are not going back. I am so glad to be able to talk to the help on RC and they understand what we are asking. It got to where we couldn't understand most of the help on Carnival. Very little English was understood. Much better service and employees seem to be much happier on RC

Archived