Icy Strait Point-Anyone been on Glacier Wind Charters?

Clarabel

I have no way of knowing nor do they because the weather is very unpredictable. We should have known better from past experience. We took the cruise line whale watching tour in Cabo San Lucas last year and got to see several whales breaching up close. The water was rough so the smaller boats were not able to go out as far as we could and they missed out on a great show. You should be OK if the weather is good.

There are lots of disadvantages to going on a large boat with 150 people. Primarily, if a whale breaches on the port side, and you happen to be on the starboard side, there is little to no chance of being able to push through 150 people to get to the other side of the ship and get a picture. To avoid bad weather -- although not always possible -- I suggest NOT going to Alaska in August or September. The weather from mid-June to mid July is some of the best, IMHO. July is probably the best month for seeing both whales and bears. I went on a tour with Capt Sean about 2 years ago. Having just 6 people on the boat (plus Sean) made for an absolutely wonderful excursion. In fact, out of 12 cruises, this is the only tour that my wife wants to do again.

Alan

There is NO way to predict any whale watch tour, and what the above poster was "expecting" may have been unrealistic. Their "bored" whale was displaying NORMAL sightings that you can only expect, blows, back and tails. To expect anything else is setting up for disappointment. Hindsight is also 20/20. It's too bad no one can predict the future with weather.

There are a lot of reports of fantastic sightings of bubble net feedings, breaching, etc. These are "gifts" given to you. It is FAR more likely you won't see any of this on a single trip.

It is a benefit to go with independent operators out of Hoonah, since they are the longest tours and cruise contracted tours the shortest. The longer you are out, the more you will see.

Edited by Budget Queen

• 2 years later...

We selected Glacier Wind Charters as we wanted a personal whale watching experience - away from a group of tourists. The smaller, but stable, boat also provided closer access to the whales. Teresa and Shawn are a warm, engaging couple who take pride in their business and the wonders of Alaska. As former educators, you'll learn a lot about the wildlife and life in Hoonah from Shawn and Teresa.

From my first inquiry about their services, to the arrival and onboarding, everything was clearly communicated and delivered. The boat was extremely well maintained and reflected Shawn's pride. We saw whales, eagles and bears - just like we hope we'd see.Teresa also was kind in remembering that on further travels through Alaska that we'd be going Halibut fishing and followed up by send us her favorite recipes. So thoughtful.

If you are seeking a great adventure "with local color", I highly recommend you book with Glacier Wind Charters. And those sentiments are repeatedly echoed by so many others in their on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor reviews.

Do you realize you resurrected a 3+ year old thread? Plus, your only two posts on the forum are glowing reports of Glacier Wind? Seems a bit suspicious to me.

So? Is that a bad thing? Personally, we booked GW for Alaska this July and I enjoyed reading these posts!;) I have chatted with Teresa several times on-line and can't wait to meet her and Sean!:cool: Love the great reviews and intend to post one myself upon our return!:D

So? Is that a bad thing? Personally, we booked GW for Alaska this July and I enjoyed reading these posts! I have chatted with Teresa several times on-line and can't wait to meet her and Sean! Love the great reviews and intend to post one myself upon our return!

Not bad, just suspicious as I said. All of your posts on CC are not glowing reviews of one tour operator.

I never "plan" or "intend" to post a glowing review of any tour operator before I even take a tour. They have to earn any glowing review I give.

Edited by frugaltravel

Not bad, just suspicious as I said. All of your posts on CC are not glowing reviews of one tour operator.

I never "plan" or "intend" to post a glowing review of any tour operator before I even take a tour. They have to earn any glowing review I give.

I understand and agree with you. Glowing reviews are well-earned! I am sooooooooooo excited to be going to Alaska and want to find out all I can before we head up there!;) Will start in Fairbanks and go down from there, visiting Anchorage and Denali for sure! Only port excursions planned are the whale watch with GW in ISP and renting a green jeep in Skagway to drive up through the Yukon to Emerald Lake! Really excited about that one! Then will stay 2 days in Vancouver and train to Seattle for 2 more days, and then home! Two weeks total! Can't wait for this trip!:cool:

I understand and agree with you. Glowing reviews are well-earned! I am sooooooooooo excited to be going to Alaska and want to find out all I can before we head up there!;) Will start in Fairbanks and go down from there, visiting Anchorage and Denali for sure! Only port excursions planned are the whale watch with GW in ISP and renting a green jeep in Skagway to drive up through the Yukon to Emerald Lake! Really excited about that one! Then will stay 2 days in Vancouver and train to Seattle for 2 more days, and then home! Two weeks total! Can't wait for this trip!:cool:

Be careful driving a Jeep up around Emerald Lake. There are lots of bears up there that think nothing of crossing the highway and investigating vehicles that stop for pictures.

Alan

• 1 month later...

I will also give a glowing review of Glacier Winds. Sean and Teresa are wonderful people and provide a great excursion. We booked with them in Late May 2011 when we were on the Amsterdam. We saw bears and tons of whales. It was a great trip put on by great people!!!

Edited by TomAndJane

I will also give a glowing review of Glacier Winds. Sean and Teresa are wonderful people and provide a great excursion. We booked with them in Late May 2011 when we were on the Amsterdam. We saw bears and tons of whales. It was a great trip put on by great people!!!
Another thing I really like about Glacier Wind is that they have a booking calendar showing availability right on their website.

So you can first look and see if they even have space available for the date and time you want without wasting time phoning or emailing to find out.

we booked with them this sept 2014 and I have to say the booking process was easy and looking forward to a great trip with them. I to saw this old post when looking for reviews on Glacier wind and found it helpful..