Hop On Hop Off bus tour Rome

We used the HOHO in Rome, and it was just OK. There was a lot of traffic around The Vatican and it took a long time to get anywhere. If you take the train into Rome, the BIRG train ticket also allows you to use the Rome subway and metro buses for free.

There are a few HOHO buses in Rome. One is from the transit authority and at least one private bus. Main terminal is at the Termini Station. Its a great way to get a quick overview and lay of the land. We did the whole tour without disembarking and then went on foot.

We used the HOHO in Rome, and it was just OK. There was a lot of traffic around The Vatican and it took a long time to get anywhere. If you take the train into Rome, the BIRG train ticket also allows you to use the Rome subway and metro buses for free.

When we were in Rome in October we decided to take a HoHo bus just to see what it was really like (we had been to Rome many, many times before.) Disregarding anything/everything I decided to approach the whole thing like a neebie tourist. Listened to three different pitches and finally selected one.

This one used pre-recorded explanations for what you were seeing. Seemed to be a little off here and there (most probably due to traffic even though we were the first trip for the day and traffic was not bad.) We got off at the Vatican stop, and after wandering a bit walked to the Castel Sant'Angelo a short distance away. The map they gave us showed that there was a stop there but we never found it (it was around the corner and up a block from the map location.)

We actually went around a second time, this time getting off at Piazza del Popolo so that we could walk through the Borghese gardens and down the Via Veneto - which we did. The map showed a stop at Piazza Barberini (near the Metro stop) but we never found it (although we walked every street at that intersection for at least a block.) We finally gave up and started walking towards Termini (yep, up another hill!) In case you didn't know it, Rome is not flat! We stpped for a glass of wine near Piazza della Repubblica and people/traffic watched. Saw several other HoHo buses go by and never saw ours until we were a block from Termini.

Talked to some folks from another line and they had no problems. Another point worth remembering, they only stop at their appointed stops (ie - sign on the street.) They do not, will not, and cannot stop even a half block earlier or they will be fined (so they said, and knowing Italy it is probably true.)

It was raining on/off that day (the real reason we took it in the first place.) We tried upstairs in the open and downstairs out of the rain. Visibility from below isn't really much probably the same as a cab. On top the visibility was pretty good.

Just a hint - Green does not mean Go or Good in this case.

I booked a 48 hour pass for the Ho Ho bus on www.viator.com and had the vouchers already paid for in U.S. dollars before we left for Rome. We were at a hotel near the Vatican and caught the Ho Ho there. Yes there is traffic in Rome, but by riding on the bus you are saving your legs and back. It was a great way to get around from place to place. We did the North (Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona,etc) on day 1, then on day 2 stayed on the bus all the way to the Colloseum and did (Palatine Hill, Forum, Colloseum, Circus Maxima, etc.). It was a great way for us to get all around the city. There was still plenty of walking from site to site, but the bulk of the distance was covered riding up top. We had beautiful weather and was able to soak in Rome with someone else doing the driving and fighting the traffic.

I also have used the Ho Ho in New York City and loved it. We went to Battery Park, Chinatown, Little Italy, Central Park, etc. We used it as transport all around New York City.

I don't think you can go wrong using the Ho Ho bus in Rome, or any other town that has one.

I'm not a big fan of the HOHO buses, if you are an able walker. I've tried them in Rome and Barcelona and find them slow, crowded, and almost impossible to get back onto once you get off. They are okay if all you want to do is make a circuit of all the sights -- but that kind of defeats the whole "hop-on hop-off" part to me!

Further, in Rome the HOHO buses can't always get you really close to the sights due to the narrow streets. So if you are expecting to see the front of the Pantheon or Trevi Fountain from the bus itself, you will be disappointed. You would have to get off and make your way on foot to see them. Then you have to find the stop to get back on, and HOPE that the bus, when it arrives, isn't so crowded that you can't get on it.

Also, when traffic is bad (and when isn't it?) in both Rome and Barcelona, I could actually walk much faster than the HOHO was traveling...:eek:

I'm sure the the HOHO buses are perfect for some; just not for me.

I booked a 48 hour pass for the Ho Ho bus on www.viator.com and had the vouchers already paid for in U.S. dollars before we left for Rome. We were at a hotel near the Vatican and caught the Ho Ho there. Yes there is traffic in Rome, but by riding on the bus you are saving your legs and back. It was a great way to get around from place to place. We did the North (Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona,etc) on day 1, then on day 2 stayed on the bus all the way to the Colloseum and did (Palatine Hill, Forum, Colloseum, Circus Maxima, etc.). It was a great way for us to get all around the city. There was still plenty of walking from site to site, but the bulk of the distance was covered riding up top. We had beautiful weather and was able to soak in Rome with someone else doing the driving and fighting the traffic.

I also have used the Ho Ho in New York City and loved it. We went to Battery Park, Chinatown, Little Italy, Central Park, etc. We used it as transport all around New York City.

I don't think you can go wrong using the Ho Ho bus in Rome, or any other town that has one.

Was it difficult finding where the stop was to get back on the Viator Hoho bus? Also, how were the crowds getting back on? I'm wondering which HOHO company is best to navigate. Thanks

IF you are taking the train from the port to get into Rome, I highly recommend getting off at the San Pietro (Vatican) station--which is before Termini. Then walk to the street that deadends in front of St. Peter's, and you can pick up the HoHo right there. MUCH easier and quicker than going all the way to Termini--and you don't have to walk a mile just to get out of the RR station!

We did it the first time we were there and it worked well to get us an overview--and we didn't have any troubles getting back on--this was in late October IIRC.

Now we target where we want to go and what we want to see, and we have the metro down, but for a first timer I think it's an okay choice.

Cathy

Archived