Not Yet Potty Trained HELP!!!!

carmi

:confused:Hi all, hoping to get some advice from anyone with a similar experience.We( my wife and I, a 10 year old and my 3 year old boy ) will be taking our 2nd cruise next month.My 3 year old is still not potty trained.Our first cruise ( in September) was taken on Carnival solely because they accept non-potty trained kids in the kids program.Id like to have more options as far as different cruise lines.The closest ive seen is NCL which allows the kids in theier programs , however they will page us when he needs to be changed.They ask that you dont go ashore while in port as someone will have to change him. I am sure that for a NICE tip in advance one of the attendant/counslers would change him eif needed(usually once a day ) but nothing is guaranteed.Doe sanyone know of any other cruise lines that allow non -potty trained kids in thier programs or maybe you have had an exprerience where they have not been that strict about the policy.The GREATEST thing about cruising (for my wife) is being able to leave him in the camp! We cant risk having him being unable to participate.it would ruin the hwhole cruise.PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you have dealt with this issue.

thanks!!

I outlined all of the cruise lines policies on my blog here...scroll down to the bottom

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html

Sorry but your best bet until he is potty trained is still Carnival.

You already said that NCL won't let you off the ship with him in the club.

Disney has a nursery for those who aren't potty trained (paid service)

Royal Caribbean will have a nursery on Oasis of the Seas.

But for his age, he would probably be happier in Camp Carnival.

• Administrators
:confused:Hi all, hoping to get some advice from anyone with a similar experience.We( my wife and I, a 10 year old and my 3 year old boy ) will be taking our 2nd cruise next month.My 3 year old is still not potty trained.Our first cruise ( in September) was taken on Carnival solely because they accept non-potty trained kids in the kids program.Id like to have more options as far as different cruise lines.The closest ive seen is NCL which allows the kids in theier programs , however they will page us when he needs to be changed.They ask that you dont go ashore while in port as someone will have to change him. I am sure that for a NICE tip in advance one of the attendant/counslers would change him eif needed(usually once a day ) but nothing is guaranteed.Doe sanyone know of any other cruise lines that allow non -potty trained kids in thier programs or maybe you have had an exprerience where they have not been that strict about the policy.The GREATEST thing about cruising (for my wife) is being able to leave him in the camp! We cant risk having him being unable to participate.it would ruin the hwhole cruise.PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you have dealt with this issue.

thanks!!

No, not if they value their jobs they won't. They have rules set by their employer, and one of them is that they won't be taking diapers off children. If they have a brain in their heads, your tip won't tempt them to violate that policy.

If your child being unable to participate "would ruin the whole cruise" then you are booked on the wrong line. You need to book a cruise on a line where the fact that your little one isn't yet potty-trained isn't the decisive factor for enjoying your vacation. Glad the info others have given seems useful to you.

I am the grandma of a 2 1/2 year old boy (and 3 month old) who is on his way to being potty trained. I think each child is different as far was when the training is done - and with that being said - I still believe they will have an accident or two anyways.

I have to comment though on the "Nice tip" comment. I don't know if I would trust that route. How would you know your child is being changed when necessary? I would hate to think my Grandson was left uncomfortable because I was not available to change him and having left that chore to camp counselors. (Besides him being uncomfortable, there are other issues I am uncomfortable with)

While I have not researched diaper policies on different cruise lines, our last cruise as a family was when our gs was 6 months old, and we had him in our care at all times, I would certainly choose the line that would care for the child the best and or make myself available should the child need the family.

Whichever you choose - enjoy your cruise!

No, not if they value their jobs they won't. They have rules set by their employer, and one of them is that they won't be taking diapers off children. If they have a brain in their heads, your tip won't tempt them to violate that policy.

If your child being unable to participate "would ruin the whole cruise" then you are booked on the wrong line. You need to book a cruise on a line where the fact that your little one isn't yet potty-trained isn't the decisive factor for enjoying your vacation. Glad the info others have given seems useful to you.

Excellent post!

carmi: I understand your frustration, but the restrictions for children being potty trained are one of the strictest enforced. For example, RCI has a rule that all children who attend Adventure Ocean must be at least 3 years old and fully potty trained. They cannot need help in any way, whether it be wiping or getting dressed. If a child has an accident, he or she is given another chance. If it happens again, the parents are paged and are required to come get their child. I'm not sure if it's two or three strikes and they're out for the duration of the cruise, but the rules for this are strictly enforced. It's for the protection of their employees as well as to CYA with any possible issues.

On many cruise lines, kids club crew (actually any crew member) are not allowed under any circumstances to change diapers. There are several reasons for the policy. A crew member who accepts a tip--no matter how large--to break the rules risks being fired. There are generally no second chances for them if they break a rule like this one. LovesCruising makes an interesting point about trusting a crew member to change your son as necessary. I'll add to it to say that you cannot trust a crew member who will take money to break this rule.

In any case, MichellP is right. If your child being able to attend the kids club is a make or break issue, then you've got to choose a line that will allow your DS to participate. You cannot ask the cruise lines or their employees to bend or break these very important rules. It's not fair to the other children and parents, and it's not fair to the cruise line and crew to even ask.

Are you on NCL for your cruise next month or are you booked on Carnival again? I wasn't sure from your post which line you meant for this next cruise. Of course each child is different when it comes to potty training and boys tend to (though not always) train later than girls. He's at an age when he is probably more ready than you (or he) thinks to be a "big boy" about it. Obviously, you all had fun on your first cruise. You could even use that as incentive for him to complete training. "Big boys can do more on cruises, including swimming in the pools, so what say we work on this?" That kind of "bribery" is not a bad thing, IMO.

beachchick

Some good posts here so I won't repeat what's been said. However, here is some unsolicited advice. Even though kids begin potty training around this age, don't force it IF he is not ready. We have some friends that forced the issue with their daughter and it was clear that she was not ready. She is now almost 6 and has terriable issues with it still to this day. We were visiting with them not long ago and it was her bedtime. She screamed in the bathroom sitting on the toliet for close to an hour because she couldn't go. And, she refused to go to bed until she did. It was a terriable experience and the parents said that happens pretty often and not just at bed time. I think that our son was a little late in the potty training department, however, when he was ready, it happened almost overnight and with great ease. By 3 1/2 he was potty trained and never had any major accidents.

If you are going next month, you must have already booked your cruise, and I assume from your post, it's on NCL. As stated, you won't be able to "bribe" someone to change diapers. I can't imagine anyone who would break that policy and there's no way they could keep it a "secret", and honestly, if they were able to do that, is that a place you would want to leave your child? They are very strict about these policies, but it's for the safety of everyone.

If you're already booked, not sure why you are asking about other lines. You are just going to have to adjust to NCL's rules. You can still have a great time; you just can't leave the ship without your child.

We have used Disney 3 times for your very reason. They are fantastic with kids. Children that are not potty trained can go into their nursery. The cost is $6/hr. They will only let you book 10hrs pre-cruise, but we have never had a problem adding all the extra hrs we want. The kids crew is fantastic. My kids don't ever want to spend time with us!!!! Good luck.

Archived