How formal is formal night ?

Hi first cruise coming up soon !! To be honest, I dont want to lug my suit all the way on my vacation. It is a very nice, modern, jacket and pants. Do I HAVE to wear a tie? Does my wife need to wear a long dress? We are a good looking 40 year old couple, but formal isnt my thing. I hear how fun it is, but like I said, I dont really want to bring my 1000$ jacket and pants to wear 2 nights on my 14 night vacation.

Could I pull off a REALLY nice shirt, pants, and shoes on formal night, or do I have to wear the jacket? Is a tie necessary, even if the jacket/pant/shirt combo is stunning?

Also, our 12 year old son, does he HAVE to wear a suit to formal night? Or should we not even bring him to dinner. He is at that stage where he might not be into it.

Thanks.

Hi first cruise coming up soon !! To be honest, I dont want to lug my suit all the way on my vacation. It is a very nice, modern, jacket and pants. Do I HAVE to wear a tie? Does my wife need to wear a long dress? We are a good looking 40 year old couple, but formal isnt my thing. I hear how fun it is, but like I said, I dont really want to bring my 1000$ jacket and pants to wear 2 nights on my 14 night vacation.

Could I pull off a REALLY nice shirt, pants, and shoes on formal night, or do I have to wear the jacket? Is a tie necessary, even if the jacket/pant/shirt combo is stunning?

Also, our 12 year old son, does he HAVE to wear a suit to formal night? Or should we not even bring him to dinner. He is at that stage where he might not be into it.

Thanks.

You can choose to not dine in the dining room that night and go to Windjammer.

Formal Wear Is Suggested!

What you wear is up to you.

On our last 10 night cruise we were concerned about carrying too much so I brought a dark blue sport coat and several dress shirts and two pair of nice pants (Dockers) and a pair of black loafers. On the formal nights I wore a tie.

On the two formal nights I did not see anyone without at least a sport coat and a dressy shirt.

I am a retired Army Officer and I like to wear my Dress Blue Uniform but it means an extra suitcase to carry everything for both of us.

I have never seen anyone turned away from the Dining Room even though I have seen many who should have been.

Thanks.

There's a reason they call it FORMAL NIGHT! Bring your $500 jacket and pants instead!

Thanks.

You will be fine with a nice pair of pants & nice shirt. I have seen this on formal night. It really boils down to you being comfortable while others around you are more dressed up (and some very unformal on formal nights). If you are fine with it, go for it.

My husband and I also tend to not go FORMAL. I have a pair of nice black dress pants, nice top and he wears nice pants and a dress shirt.....

As long as your clothes are decent, and somewhat dressy, there is no problem. Some on this board will act as if you have just flipped off the pope if you suggest that you intend to dress informally on formal night, but no one will give you any trouble on the cruise.

Dress as you would to go to a decent sit down restaurant. Given that you own a $1,000 suit, I will assume that you don't dine out at nice restaurants in shorts and flip flops.

It would probably be a good idea to wear dressy slacks, dress shoes and a nice, collared long sleeved dress shirt on formal night if you really prefer not to wear a tie or jacket. That way, you won't feel too out of place. On other nights, khakis and a golf shirt will suffice.

My wife and I love to dress to the nines for dinner and it is a big part of the cruise experience for us, but I have never once been more than vaguely aware of someone less dressed up than us, and certainly was not bothered by it. Don't let the inevitable formal wear flamers get you down. As long as you're not going to the MDR in tennies, flip flops, Tshirts, shorts or raggedy jeans, it's not really a problem at all.

Yeah, thanks, I guess I could bring my nice pants and shirt, and if I feel the need, rent the jacket.

My jacket, is quite expensive, and although I love it, I dont want to bring it while we are renting cars, travelling all over Florida, etc, before going on the cruise.

We just got off the Grandeur this past Saturday. I didn't check my boyfriend's luggage before we left and he totally forgot his jacket. In the past, I have always dressed up quite a bit on formal night (not full length gown, but cocktail dress) and my father and brother in law wore tuxes. We decided to slap a tie on him and hope for the best. No one batted an eye. Of course, they may have assumed that he had just taken his jacket off.

If you prefer to not dress up as much, you should be fine. In my opinion, just be respectful to other guests by not showing up in shorts, a tank top and flip flops.

I always like to bring formal or at least dressy clothes for formal night. My DH on the other hand dislikes having to dress up , but he humors me and always brings his black suit. He and our two sons wore suits with tie on formal nights. I forgot to pack his Dockers :o, so he had to wear his suit pants on smart casual night. On the other casual nights all my guys wore nice jeans and a nice shirt. Since we were at a table for 4 I just let it go, but I did see many men in short sleeved shirts and casual pants on formal night. If you think you would be comfortable without a suit jacket or tie, just do what you want to do. No one is going to say anything, you will not be turned away, and you most likely will never again see any of the people you meet at dinner. I think it's nuts to go to the Windjammer just because you are not wearing formal wear. Good grief, it's a fairly casual cruiseline and you will see all kinds of dress ( and undress unfortunately:o) Just my opinion.

I hope you decide to either bring at least a sports coat or dine in the Windjammer on formal nights. It does take away from the ambiance of the Formal theme if some diners flout the dress code suggestions.

I know 'it's your vacation and you can wear whatever you want', but the counter argument is that there are conventions for dress in the dining room and if you prefer not to follow those, your other dining options are Windjammer or room service. Those cruisers who do want the formal experience are impacted by your decision to ignore the dress guidelines.

Our very first cruise was on Celebrity's Constellation. I ended up renting a tux, from the ship.

On that cruise, if a man wasn't wearing a tux, he was viewed as being "from another planet."

On my subsequent Royal Caribbean cruises, Carnival cruise,etc.: I did NOT wear a tux. I wore a dark suit/tie. I feel that these cruise lines are more accepting of suit/tie, than Celebrity. But being it is "formal" night, I wouldn't personally wear just a dress shirt/no tie.

I think that it detracts from the other diners, who enjoy the upgraded atmosphere/experience, by wearing tux/or suit & tie.

What you've described isn't formal, but as somebody else posted, it's suggested attire, not required attire. If you are ok risking being underdressed, then go for it.

And where are you going to wear a dressy $1000 jacket if not on formal night on a cruise ship? It's not going to break in the car, and if it gets wrinkled you can send it out to be pressed.

DW and I always dress for formal night - she really enjoys that aspect of the cruise. However, am I the only guy out there that thinks its too $%$&*&*%$# hot in many of the venues (especially the DR and theater) for wearing a jacket? Hate that, espcially on Caribbean cruises.

Our kids were 10 when we took them on the Majesty cruise during Spring Break. Both enjoyed getting dressed up for dinner, but a suit is not necessary for a 12 year old.

This is my son and I before dinner....he was more dressed up than many of the college students on board this Spring Break cruise. :rolleyes:

EasySitePicture_400425.jpg?id=15111341

And where are you going to wear a dressy $1000 jacket if not on formal night on a cruise ship? It's not going to break in the car, and if it gets wrinkled you can send it out to be pressed.

I agree! What's the point of having a $1000 suit if you don't want to wear it? And what better place to wear it than formal night on a cruise ship? :confused:

My wife are going back to RCCL after 4 or 5 years trying out the other cruise lines. Will I be out of place if I DO wear my tux on the formal nights? Do not want to stick out or be over dressed. I own a tux (great investment) and have no problem with it at all but it is a chore to lug it around.

We'll be on the Indy in March

Rob

My wife are going back to RCCL after 4 or 5 years trying out the other cruise lines. Will I be out of place if I DO wear my tux on the formal nights? Do not want to stick out or be over dressed. I own a tux (great investment) and have no problem with it at all but it is a chore to lug it around.

Rob

You will not be out of place. As I mentioned in my previous post, there were people dressed to the nines and those that were not. I like to see people dress up for formal night, but it doesn't effect my enjoyment of my dinner if someone dresses more casually. If someone's attire attracts attention, at least it makes for interesting conversation later:D.

Rob

It's always better to be over dressed than under dressed. Those guys in golf shirts and sandals on formal night act like they are comfortable and cool but they must feel very conspicuous. Some dude even wore his ball cap at the table in the MDR during our Liberty cruise. Where has common sense gone?

rent onboard.

You will look just as good as all of the other penguins on the ship.

Son did and he looked fine.

One guy on our ship was wearing what looked like a Joe Banana's suit coat, as it featured large oranges all over it. Fashion statement that said - "Look at me if you dare".

http://www.joebananas.com.au

Rob

RMharvey

Chuckle!

Archived