Tayrona National Park Santa Marta

lmmn

Has anyone gone to this park? I would like to know if you recommend it.

We are considering Royal Caribbean 6 1/2 hour tour. Has anyone been on it? They describe the park, but they don't say what you do. Is it a hike or is it a beach day? Does anyone know?

• 1 month later...
I'm also hoping to hear some experiences with this tour! Anyone?

I just got back...I was on the 6 1/2 hour tour. I would recommend it. It was roughly a one hour bus ride to the park. On the way a guide will talk about Santa Marta/Columbia history in Spanish/then English. There were many on the bus that spoke other languages as well. The guide did her best to include all. Once there, you will go on 1-2 hour hike. If you are somewhat fit, you will be fine. Be sure to wear shoes appropriate for hiking. We did not see monkeys or animals, other than alligator on the beach near runoff area. The views are absolutely beautiful. You will then go to a beach for a soda/water. Bring your swimsuit and sunscreen. There are lounges and a nice beach to swim. Also, tables with umbrellas. After an hour or so you will go to lunch. It is buffet, and it is fabulous. From talking to others on the cruise, this sounded like one of the better excursions.

• 4 weeks later...
I just got back...I was on the 6 1/2 hour tour. I would recommend it. It was roughly a one hour bus ride to the park. On the way a guide will talk about Santa Marta/Columbia history in Spanish/then English. There were many on the bus that spoke other languages as well. The guide did her best to include all. Once there, you will go on 1-2 hour hike. If you are somewhat fit, you will be fine. Be sure to wear shoes appropriate for hiking. We did not see monkeys or animals, other than alligator on the beach near runoff area. The views are absolutely beautiful. You will then go to a beach for a soda/water. Bring your swimsuit and sunscreen. There are lounges and a nice beach to swim. Also, tables with umbrellas. After an hour or so you will go to lunch. It is buffet, and it is fabulous. From talking to others on the cruise, this sounded like one of the better excursions.

Great, thank you for the info! One more question - I know a yellow fever vaccination is technically required to enter the park, but that it is rarely checked. Did they end up checking your tour group?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did the tour with Holland America a few weeks ago on a Panama Canal tour - its was great! We did the hike through the park - it was more walking than some of the folks expected, but not strenuous. The trail is wide and flat, then you climb up stairs to a look out to get the coastal views. our group then walked about 1/2 mile down the beach to an eco resort for a water / beer break before boarding the bus back. we heard the monkeys but didn't see them. there's tons of the ants carrying leaves, centipedes, etc. Spoke to others who did the city tour, and this was by far, much better.

Archived