Shasa catamaran or Thriller turtle tour choice

silkhair1

I've only been on Shasa, so I can't speak for Thriller. Shasa was wonderful; we loved every minute of it. I think maximum capacity is only 14 people, and we sailed by wind power not the motor. Jason gave us individual attention when snorkeling. If that's what you're looking for with 2 kids, then this is for you. If you're looking for speedboat speed, then go with Thriller.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did Shasa with Nicunurse. We've actually gone out with Jason twice, once when my daughter was 3, she's now 4. Jason is fabulous with kids. I highly recommend him. Our last trip was absolutely amazing. We were the first boat to the turtle spot, so we got to swim with a crowd of friendly turtles. It was awesome! We booked the 3 hour tour and the only downer of the trip was no one wanted to get off the catamaran.

Amber

Ahoy!

Just an outake from a recent cruise review I penned that include a stop in Barbados.

BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS (0800-1700): The Portuguese named Barbados (“bearded”) as a reference to roots that hang from the island’s native bearded fig tree. Apparently, some anthropologist’s suggest that “os Barbados” may also have been a reference to the indigenous people who welcomed the 16th century Portuguese explorers. In any event, we had booked on-line another ‘sail, snorkel and suds’ tour @1000 with the Shasa (= “pleasing waters” in Swahili) Catamaran folks (shasacatamarancruises.com / $80 pp for a 5 hour lunch cruise). The tour included transportation to the catamaran (our driver Tony gave us an abbreviated tour of sites along the way, history and politics of the island, etc. along the way), snorkeling and swimming with the turtles. It also included another snorkel over a reef, a buffet lunch (fried chicken and fish, macaroni and cheese, potato and green salads, etc.), sailing along the coastline and endless pours of libations and rum punches. Jason is the owner & captain (his wife makes the lunch ashore) and he did a marvelous job considering the strong currents and winds we encountered that day. I believe everyone aboard (ourselves, two wonderful couples from the CC roll call board and a British couple vacationing on the island) were quite pleased with the tour. The tour did run a little late due to logistical problems but we were able to make it back to port by 1610. This, of course, enabled DW to do some shopping along the pier. What is a grown married man to do? (Answer=Nothing)

Have a wonderful cruise.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

• 2 weeks later...
What does a shorter version, (say 3 hrs.), of these tours run. With Tiami and Shasa??

I'm not sure but I'd imagine Tiami offers a shorter tour. However, even if it is available, I'd recommend the full day (5.5 hour) tour. You're only there for the day and 5+ hours sailing the Barbados waters is an incredibly relaxing day...one that you'll reflect on fondly as you're back home remembering just how great the day was.

We've done that tour twice and I'd gladly do it again. Such a remarkable time.

Shasa has a 3 hr tour for $60 and a 5 hr tour for $80. The 3 hr includes two snorkel stops; the 5 hr has both of those and a lunch break on a beach (buffet style with unlimited drinks). We picked the 5 hr tour and will be there next week (Thurs). Looking forward to it!

We just got back from our Serenade of the Seas 7 day tour and used Shasa in Barbados to snorkel, swim with the turtles on the 3 hour tour with 7 other people. Jason was the best! Not only did he swim with us, he was concerned that everyone saw everything, and that even me, a nonsnorkeler, had a great time just swimming and seeing the turtles. He had drinks for us, and the glorious part was he also sailed - did not use motor power - to get us to the various places. His catamaran is just the right size - the others we saw were massive and held so many people it looked like a herd. With Jason you'll will have a great time. He also has good snorkel equipment. Price is also right.

My group of 9 adults took the 3-hour Shasa tour on Feb. 17/09. We were picked up outside the cruise terminal and taken to the catamaran (approximately 15 minute drive). We boarded the catamaran from the beach and sailed to two snorkel stops - one over a shipwreck and one with the turtles. In total, there were 11 people onboard plus Jason.

We passed other larger catamarans with 40+ people on board, and I wouldn't want to be in the water with that large of a group splashing around (especially if they are wearing fins!).

The transfer to/from the ship, snorkel equipment, and drinks (beer, rum punch, soda, water) were included in the price. Jason was a great host and we would book with Shasa again.

Note: On a previous cruise we did the Silvermoon I tour, which was also a great experience if you want a luxury catamaran and are willing to pay the extra money.

Snorkel_Girl

My group of 9 adults took the 3-hour Shasa tour on Feb. 17/09. We were picked up outside the cruise terminal and taken to the catamaran (approximately 15 minute drive). We boarded the catamaran from the beach and sailed to two snorkel stops - one over a shipwreck and one with the turtles. In total, there were 11 people onboard plus Jason.

We passed other larger catamarans with 40+ people on board, and I wouldn't want to be in the water with that large of a group splashing around (especially if they are wearing fins!).

The transfer to/from the ship, snorkel equipment, and drinks (beer, rum punch, soda, water) were included in the price. Jason was a great host and we would book with Shasa again.

Note: On a previous cruise we did the Silvermoon I tour, which was also a great experience if you want a luxury catamaran and are willing to pay the extra money.

Snorkel_Girl

How do we contact Shasa for a tour we will there Wed. next week?

There is a form you can fill out on the Shasa website: http://www.shasacatamarancruises.com/ The telephone number and fax are also listed. We reserved by completing the "general inquiries" form and heard back from them within 24 hours. They will email you a reservation form that you fill out and send back - it includes the date, number of people, cruise boat, etc.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Snorkel_Girl

There is a form you can fill out on the Shasa website: http://www.shasacatamarancruises.com/ The telephone number and fax are also listed. We reserved by completing the "general inquiries" form and heard back from them within 24 hours. They will email you a reservation form that you fill out and send back - it includes the date, number of people, cruise boat, etc.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Snorkel_Girl

Thanks, I did find a number and she said to email them then we would hear back by 4 PM today. Hope so, sounds like a great tour and we leave Sunday for San Juan. Can hardly wait!!

Just returned from our cruise on Celebirty Summit on Saturday 2/28/09 and used Shasa Catamaran! What a wonderful experience! We highly recommend it! The company is a husband (Jason/captain) and wife (Tess/taxi driver/lunch chef/tour guide) team. The catamaran holds up to 14 people so you are not hearded in. Tess picks you up at the pier, gives you all the island information along the way to the boat, and delivers you to the boat and Jason with the lunch she freshly prepares for lunch each day. And how wonderful the lunch is!!!

We were in port with 5 other ships that day so when we met up with Jason on the boat he gave us options as to where we wanted to go (there were a total of 10 of us with Jason!!--AWESOME). So we changed our snorkle spots according to Jason's recommendations so that it was just "our group". How wonderful!!! We went to remote spots away from the manning crowds and sailed (yes--no motor) to snorkle with the turtles, snorkled a reef, to a beach place, had lunch on the boat (lovingly prepared by Tess--FABULOUS!!--best meal we have ever had on a shore excursion!!) Lunch was chicken, flying fish, mac& cheese, potatoe salad, rice with gravy, green salad and then wonderful cookies!!!!Ummm

There are unlimited drinks--beer, water, sodas, rum punch (and this is one to taste--secret recipe with a mango juice--delicious--and even wine with lunch!!)

When you return to shore, Tess picks you up, delivers their 2 girls (too cute--one is a princess and the other is a tomboy!!) to Jason as he anchors and takes care of securing the boat for the next day and getting the girls back home, and Tess, once again gives you all the info you need and answers any questions you may have!

Wonderful--Paradise--Highly Recommend--If you do chose Shasa please ask Jason about a T-shirt. We wanted to get one (and he has them!!!) but he forgets to market this on the tour!!! I am wrting yo see if we can get one. Real family operation and I love supporting family enterprise! Enjoy

Hope this helps everyone. Have not been on the other ones and have heard that are are also awesome but Shasa is smaller for less money and more individual attention--that is what we went for--

mlbdsct8

Great review Lisa! It was a wonderful day and glad we got to spend it with you and your group.

After listening to Jason and the family from England talk briefly about the cricket match going on in the city, I had to research the game. Wow, complicated and long ... I can see why they said to go for the food/social reasons! And speaking of food, Jason/Tess did serve a great meal! (and ice cold Banks beer ... mmmmm) :)

Jay

• 1 month later...

I've been a lurker here for years and figured I should chime in about Shasa.

We returned from our cruise on the Caribbean Princess on 4/5/09. Our group of ten was more than pleased with our 3 hour trip with Jason.

While the Princess sponsored tours were herding people on board mega-size catamaran's, the 10 of us hopped on Jason's Cat and we had the boat to ourselves.

The turtles showed up as scheduled, the drinks were ice cold and the sailing was smooth and relaxing.

Our group's ages ranged from 4 to 70+. Great tour for any age. Thanks Jason!!

I've been a lurker here for years and figured I should chime in about Shasa.

We returned from our cruise on the Caribbean Princess on 4/5/09. Our group of ten was more than pleased with our 3 hour trip with Jason.

While the Princess sponsored tours were herding people on board mega-size catamaran's, the 10 of us hopped on Jason's Cat and we had the boat to ourselves.

The turtles showed up as scheduled, the drinks were ice cold and the sailing was smooth and relaxing.

Our group's ages ranged from 4 to 70+. Great tour for any age. Thanks Jason!!

Would you mind telling me how much it was for 10 people?

Would you mind telling me how much it was for 10 people?

Sure. We had 10 people total (7 adults and 3 kids). The cost was $60 per adult, $30 per child totaling $510 USD. That included transfers to/from the ship, snorkel gear and cold drinks.

• 4 weeks later...

I am SO glad I read this post!

I have already booked the 5 hours Tiami Catamaran Cruise, but on the AOS for May 24th, I saw where my "shipmates" chose the Shasa Catamaran. I didn't realize the Tiami was 30+ people and the Shasa is 12 max. It seems much more personal and laid back.

Questions:

1. The Shasa is not motor powered. Did you still get to the destinations quickly sailing?

2. It sounds like everyone likes the 5 hour versus the 3 hours. Still, have any of you chosen the 3 hour cruise and used the rest of the day in town or beach? My husband and I have not been to Barbados. We love the water, but I also like the "touristy" side and shopping. Is there enough beach time on the cruise? Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated!!

I am SO glad I read this post!

I have already booked the 5 hours Tiami Catamaran Cruise, but on the AOS for May 24th, I saw where my "shipmates" chose the Shasa Catamaran. I didn't realize the Tiami was 30+ people and the Shasa is 12 max. It seems much more personal and laid back.

Questions:

1. The Shasa is not motor powered. Did you still get to the destinations quickly sailing?

2. It sounds like everyone likes the 5 hour versus the 3 hours. Still, have any of you chosen the 3 hour cruise and used the rest of the day in town or beach? My husband and I have not been to Barbados. We love the water, but I also like the "touristy" side and shopping. Is there enough beach time on the cruise? Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Thought I'd correct myself on here! From reading the other posts, I gathered that Shasa was SAILING only and even posted that on my Roll Call discussions. Not the case, only that they take time to sail and not use power the whole time. Sounds great! Just wanted to clarify so I'm not giving out the wrong info!!

I do like that the Shasa and Silvermoon both offer smaller groups. Nice!

Used them a year and a half ago and have already given out my card for next January - thought it best to book well ahead as there may be many catamarans but there is only one Jason, one Tess and one Shasa.

No problems here , mon.

Archived