Questions, questions, snorkeling related, kind of...

caribbean2000

We will be on Bonaire off the Emerald Princess in a few weeks. Unfortunately we are only in port from noon until 7 p.m. Right now we have booked with Renee for her two stop snorkeling tour from 3 - 5 p.m. While everyone here raves about Renee, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. First, with only two hours and two stops in that time it seems pretty short and possibly rushed, compared to what we usually do on various islands when going snorkeling (we're pretty experienced and avid snorkelers and have our own gear). On a recent review, the person mentioned renting some sort of three-wheeled moped thing for $60 for the day and going off themselves to various snorkel spots (I have bookmarked the Bonaire site that has the good map and descriptions of snorkeling areas). Has anyone here done this, and if so - where do you get these vehicles? Are you supposed to fill them with gas when you return them like a rental car? Does this plan make sense? (we like adventures!). Also - I've read that there is a ferry over to Klein Bonaire that costs something like $20 per person round trip, plus the cost of the passes to Klein Bonaire. Does anyone know how often this runs and where it departs from? I've read that the ship sponsored tours book up almost all available transportation to Klein Bonaire when a ship is in port. Does this include this ferry?

Sorry for all the questions but if we're not going to go with Renee I want to e-mail her soon so she can re-book our spots.

thanks!

Gene

• 2 weeks later...

There are lot of threads on the Klein Bonaire ferry, but here is the website:

http://www.bonairenauticomarina.com/

It does seem like you can reserve online, but I haven't tried it. Hope that will help. On another website : http://www.bonairedivingpro.com/map.html

it seems as though Klein Bonaire is better for boat dives, contrary to many posts here. That website seems to imply that the better shore diving is off of the island itself.

So here is the question: if you want some really great snorkeling but also need a little shade (this is the 5th stop on our cruise) and a place to rest (maybe even a chair since it seems like the beaches are so rocky) what is the best solution?

How is the snorkeling from one of the hotel or resort beaches? Unfortunately this is also a short afternoon stop for us (Summit) and we want to make the best use of our time.

• 1 month later...

hmmm... So you're advanced snorkelers, looking for a bit of adventure and the best snorkeling on Bonaire... yeah I got ya. ;-)

There is a beach called "Seven Bodies Beach" which is great. It's not far from the dock but it is not heavily trafficked. It is just past Capt Don's.

It's right behind Coral Paradise Bonaire Resort but you don't have to be staying there to use the beach. In fact, they have pictures of seven bodies beach on their site. (walk down that little path)

Now before you get too grossed out by the name, they call it that because if you laid 7 bodies in row they would be longer than the beach. Kinda weird but that's what the locals have called it forever.

I had the pleasure of meeting one of the world's most renowned marine fish experts and she told me there where more species of fish on that one reef than any single reef in the world. -- I dunno, I took it at face value.

I do know I've been there about 5 times and every time I've seen dozens of fish that I've never seen before. Bring your camera!

After you get out, you're about 250 yards from Capt. Don's, Rum Runner Restaurant. Have a drink or two and be back on the boat and showered up before dinner. :D

Archived