Towel animal and ice requests and tips..

dolphinwyo

I have only been on 2 cruises so far, but never had to sign a roster. The first time we met the Steward, no problems. The second cruise - like I mentioned - never saw him at all, no roster, no intro, no ice. We were in and out frequently with 2 kids, so it wasn't like we were hiding out. Didn't ruin my cruise by any means, but will know what reasonable expectations are for this next cruise. If I don't meet him by Monday, I will search for him and let him know our needs. Thanks for the advice - will report back after and let you know how it went....heading for the airport tonight!!

On the last night of our cruise in October we ran into our steward on our way to dinner, my boyfriend extended his hand and passed him $40. Our steward immediately was like no, no, no. Your tips are included. My boyfriend said he knew and he just wanted to thank him for cleaning up after us all week and taking such good care of our things. He tried to refuse again, but my boyfriend insisted and he finally took it very graciously. When we came back to the room we had 6 of the hanging monkey towel animals hanging all over the room. It was so cute. I couldn't find the picture because I think its on my boyfriend's laptop but there is a way to get more than one towel animal.

I don't understand them not having the ice room available at all times, as I'm sure folks like us wouldn't mind at all getting our own,

On our first cruise, I asked our lovely steward if he could point me to the ice room so I could get ice ( I use a lot) when he was busy. His response? "Madam, that's what I'm here for." :)

Thereafter, there were 2 full buckets of ice in my room twice a day. Naturally, he got a nice extra tip at the end of the cruise.

However, I'd have no problem hauling myself up to the Lido for ice in the event that I ran out during the steward's off time.

We asked our room steward for an extra bucket on the first day because we had wine, water and sodas and only 1 thing fit in the tiny bucket. We got a plastic bucket of beers bucket, which was fine. The next morning, when dh asked the steward to fill the buckets with ice, he was snotty and acted like he should have already known it would get done. He did keep them filled after that. I wish their were ice machines as well, I'd rather do it myself. Maybe he was snotty because the request didn't come with an extra tip, but he still should have been nice and he ended up not getting anything above the auto tip because of his attitude.

Oh, and I also wanted to save the towel animals but he took them away every morning, I was sad because I wanted a picture of all of them together.

I have signed a sheet, not signed a sheet, met my room steward within minutes of boarding, the next day and not at all. I once didn't even have a room steward! I think it just depends on the steward, the ship, etc.

I like the little versions of towel animals that they sell in the gift shop...just an idea, that they could each have one to sleep with and take home. :)

The ones made by the stewards often fall apart when I touch them. :o

When returing to our room from the Lido deck I'd stop by the bar and ask for a bucket of ice, give the bartender a tip and be on our way. After the second day the bartender would bring me a bucket when he saw me standing there. We used the ice to keep a bottle or two of wine cold.

Just back from the Pride -

Didn't formally meet the steward right away, but kept running into him in the hallway. I asked for two towel animals for the two kids each night, he said no problem - each night they each had on on their beds. One night we thought there was only one, but then we found a monkey hanging from the ceiling! I asked for ice one time, and after that I always had 2 buckets full at all times. He was awesome - never had a problem at all. Much better than past stewards. We gave him an extra tip at the end of the cruise. Very happy with everything, except coming home to below zero and snow!!

On all the cruises I've been on, never have I used ice from the bucket in my cabin. I really wonder if they change them after each cabin turns over. Several friends of mine who have worked in housekeeping at hotels say it is very common practice NOT to wash cups or even put out clean ones after the rooms turn over and the same for coffee pots.

I think it depends on the steward - I won't say cruiseline - even though both stewards that we've had that were great were CCL and our NCL was terrible. On the Fantasy, ours was great. I had a small cooler sitting out with bottled water that I intended to take to Cozumel. He filled it once we boarded and kept it filled. It was great. He made sure that it was under a towel incase it leaked. Didn't even ask. He apologized for not realizing I was traveling with a child - not sure what difference it made - Except second night the towel animal was on his bed as well as a cookie (which my son (age 12) loved). I requested a specific towel animal the last night - which I learned from the towel folding demo that you could do that. I left abut $5 dollars for him in the room when we left. He was great. He always said hello when we passed in the hall. He even explained when we signed the papers when his hours were because they are off during the day which is why you don't get ice in your room during the day.

Within an hour of getting on the ship our Steward was making his rounds. He introduced himself and I actually had to sign a clipboard that "he met me and my companion." From this point on he was was calling us by our names.

At that point I kindly asked for some ice for a Bon Voyage gift and for the rest of the cruise our ice bucket and mini cooler were filled. I noticed that he had a large wheeled cooler full of ice and he was filling up all of his rooms from this cooler--every day and every night.

We were lucky. At every request--ice, body wash, extra glasses or cups--our steward was fast. Never was it a long wait. With that said, we did tip him a few bucks a day (2-3) if we saw him in the hallways (quite often) and at the end we tipped him big. The tip was justified when he even let us stay in our cabin until instructed to disembark--11:00AM. While everybody was on the Lido deck waiting for their number to be called we were in Cabin, relaxing, watching TV just waiting our turn.

This steward's name is even mentioned on a recent review of Carnival Conquest.

I guess I got a first stringer steward. Sounds like others got a 2nd or 3rd stringer.....

Archived