Mountaintop or Paradise Point?

cruzinismyname

Our plan is to go to one or the other, or perhaps even both, and go to Emerald Beach. Which is better if choosing only one? We do not want to do a land tour so how much for cab to Mountaintop from Havensight then to the beach? If we dont eat at Mountaintop, are we just there to take in the view then leave? We will be there in February. Thanks for your help.

Check out both places website that might help you make your decision. http://www.greathouse-mountaintop.com/ and http://paradisepointtramway.com/. Havensight to Mountaintop $8 pp, ow. Mountain Top to Emerald $9 or $10 pp, ow. Taxis charge for waiting and you will want them to wait because while there are usually taxis up at Mountain Top, they usually are all on tours. When you are getting the taxi in Havensight talk to the dispatcher and/or driver about what it is you want exactly and get the price for everything before heading off. At Mountaintop there is a snack type place to eat... the primary things to do there are check out the view, have drinks, shop.

--Islander

• 5 weeks later...

thankyou for the information, but hopefully you can answer another question. We want to go to Mountain top and have a few drinks then go to Magens Bay. Should I have the taxi wait while we drink, then go to Magens? How far is Magens from the mountain top? There are 3 of us, should I find taxi or a private tour who will accomodate us?

thankyou for the information, but hopefully you can answer another question. We want to go to Mountain top and have a few drinks then go to Magens Bay. Should I have the taxi wait while we drink, then go to Magens? How far is Magens from the mountain top? There are 3 of us, should I find taxi or a private tour who will accomodate us?

I need that answer too. We were planning on getting a taxi and having them wait. Dont want a tour company, cause I want to be on my time. Also I need to know what time Mountaintop opens. Their website doesnt specify. Thanks

Has anyone who has been to both of these places give us their opinion? We're thinking of doing the same thing as the original poster, going to Emerald Beach then to Paradise Point. We're also thinking about doing the "dollar (or $2. now?) ride" to get to Emerald.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone who has been to both of these places give us their opinion? We're thinking of doing the same thing as the original poster, going to Emerald Beach then to Paradise Point. We're also thinking about doing the "dollar (or $2. now?) ride" to get to Emerald.

If it wasn't for that darned Bailey's Bushwacker at Paradise Point I would say Mountain Top was tops in my book :D We went to both on a discover St. Thomas type tour. I think the cost for the tram ride to Paradise Point is too high and honestly the only reason I would return there is for another Bushwacker, LOL. The views from both are excellent but otherwise there isn't much there. Both have shopping, drinks and bar type food. We didn't eat at either so I can't recommend there but man, oh man, was that Bushwacker fabulous, hahahahaha!

where is mountian top located. we dock at crown bay. which is closer to crown bay paradise point or mountain top. we just want to go for a drink or maybe something to eat and the view.

There probably isn't a lot of difference between the two if you are docking at Crown Bay. That is where we docked also and started our tour from there. Crown Bay does have a shopping area that is pretty nice as I remember but if you go to Paradise Point instead of Mountain Top then you are only a couple of blocks, if that, from Havensight where the shopping abounds if that interests you at all. If you go to Mountain Top by taxi you will probably have to have them wait for you while you shop, eat, sightsee. I'm not positive but it didn't strike me as the kind of place where taxis would come and go from without knowing they had a rider. If you go to Paradise Point you'll have no problem getting a taxi back to Crown Bay from that area when you are ready. If you decide on Paradise Point you can buy the tram tix through your cruiseline usually cheaper than it costs to just walk up and go. I think what they do is, they give you the tickets for the tram and you can just go anytime at your leasure. Ours was part of a bigger tour so I'm not positive but I think that is what I have read here before. St. Thomas is beautiful so enjoy your day there!

To answer your original question...

I would much rather spend some time @ Mountain Top :cool: than Paradise Point for the views alone. Charlotte Amalie is a cool, yet very busy part of the island. I enjoy the North and East sides the most! Your ship is there in CA so you'll no doubt spend some time, so my vote would be for Mtn Top. (if you're only looking for a nice cocktail; well they make a tasty banana daquiri up there:D)

Either way, enjoy your visit!

Archived