Teen with brand new certification

Janvan11

My son (13) completed his certification this summer and has not dived again since his training. We are heading to the So. Caribbean next week on NCL Spirit and he wants to dive. Any suggestions on a good beginning dive that won't worry me to death? The ports we're visiting are Barbados, Tortola, Antigua, Grenada and St. Lucia. His uncle will be diving with him. Thanks for all suggestions.

Usually when you dive with the ship, the dives are geared more toward the vacation diver than the serious diver. Since your son is a beginner, he might be more comfortable with this type of charter than a privately booked one. I haven't done any diving at any of the ports listed above, but NCL has a good dive program, so ask to speak with one of the dive guides when you board and ask them. They'll know exactly where to recommend good, easy dives for your son.

I totally agree with Hilary & bcurran2003 - have uncle let the divemaster know that your son is a new diver, and a tip for special service is always a nice thank-you.

Let him dive all the stops that uncle will go for. I have found no better way to keep my DH and I out of mischief than to get on a dive boat.

Hope your trip is wonderful!

Wendy

ps Now YOU learn to dive, and go with him next time! We need more lady sharks in the water.

Any reputable dive master will check your son's log book BEFORE he let him in the water. The dive master and his uncle will keep eye on him. You should discuss it with the dive master on your cruise ship for the peace of mind, but I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

13/14 year old kids are a magnet for the divemasters anyways. they love to see young kids getting into the sport. where did your son learn to dive? im sure the water is colder where he learned. we dive here in a 7 mil wetsuit when we are on a cruise i use either a skin or 3 mil. if he does not have a light wetsuit it probably would make sense for him to rent one as being a new diver he is still working on bouyancy control and we dont want him to rub against any fire coral.

You know, I am going to go totally against all these posts. I STRONGLY recommend that you do some research and try to find a private charter. First, you can probably save some money. Second, your son will get some personal service. We all know these cruise charters are cattle drivers.

When we went to Cozumel, my wife had just completed her certification. We booked with a private charter (Deep Blue Cozumel) and only had a total of six divers. I talked to the divemaster and informed him of my wife's new certification. With less people to worry about, he was able to pay attention to my wife while easily watching the rest of us.

Porchbeers, you make a lot of sense.

Janvan11, if you want to book privately, consider booking with UBS Dive Center in Tortola. http://www.scubabvi.com These folks will provide a completely private charter when you book, so it would be just your son and his uncle on the boat with the DM. The DM would be able to choose dive sites appropriate to your family, and not have to consider or worry about any other divers. Their charters are a little more expensive than a regular dive company, but considering it's a PRIVATE charter, it is well worth the price. They also provide all gear included in the price, so if you were going to have to rent, the difference in price might be made up quickly by the rental.

One of the neat things about UBS is not only the personal attention, but that the DM's are also instructors, so the amount of support you can receive is extensive. They also understand divers who need no support, so this is the perfect dive shop to go with whether you're an expert or beginner.

Might be worth checking out.

Archived