queen Elizabeth?

nelly1

GG You are quite right - I am not a cunard Fan, or a P & O fan, or an NCL (spit) fan.

I am a transport enthusiast with his own eye for stature and impact, and have been so for many years.

The Clyde and Tyne built ships had something that modern Italy can never replace - grace - presence - stature all spring to mind. Not overweaning bulk and sheer ugliness.

Travel by train and tell me that Pendos and Voyagers are a patch on Pullmans - as to either ride, service, or appearance

We have already laughed at modern Rolls Royces compared with the S & T types.

So if "new - shiny" is your bag as expounded by all the PR men like old Skanky, late of Thomas Cook, and all you can see is that the meals are great despite what they are served in - then you get on with it - I'll be searching out the life styles, afloat or ashore that measure up to my standards.

One thing I am sure of - the buildings, ships and locations that I frequent will be recognised as classics long after the last Vista has been run up the foreshore at Alang - and forgotten

GG You are quite right - I am not a cunard Fan, or a P & O fan, or an NCL (spit) fan.

I am a transport enthusiast with his own eye for stature and impact, and have been so for many years.

The Clyde and Tyne built ships had something that modern Italy can never replace - grace - presence - stature all spring to mind. Not overweaning bulk and sheer ugliness.

Travel by train and tell me that Pendos and Voyagers are a patch on Pullmans - as to either ride, service, or appearance

We have already laughed at modern Rolls Royces compared with the S & T types.

So if "new - shiny" is your bag as expounded by all the PR men like old Skanky, late of Thomas Cook, and all you can see is that the meals are great despite what they are served in - then you get on with it - I'll be searching out the life styles, afloat or ashore that measure up to my standards.

One thing I am sure of - the buildings, ships and locations that I frequent will be recognised as classics long after the last Vista has been run up the foreshore at Alang - and forgotten

The Clyde and Tyne shipyards simply built what they were asked to build. IF and it's a big IF we still had yards in those places they would be falling over themselves to build the modern boats ugly as they are and doffing their caps to the order-placers IF we still had yards, the blokes with the welding torches, spannners and hammers, the crane drivers, assemblers etc wouldn't give a flying act of procreation what the damn boats looked like as long as they had a job and a decent wage. Grow up! Even if Cunard do sell (and very successfully) a kind of time warp there is no need to actually believe it.

Are we to understand that your home is still lit by beautiful Gasoliers.

Your carpets and rugs swept by hand. Your meals cooked on a 'classic'* open fire, regularly served on Sevrés and Royal Doulton china. Your clothes are all tailored by hand and you dont wear any artificial fabrics whatever. Does your 'classic'* car not have modern compound rubber tyres or do you still drive on solids on wooden rims? I've never had a Rolls Royce unfortunately but I have had 'classic'* cars and by and large unless you are an enthusiast they are a pain the the proverbial. (Even if you are an enthusiast they are still a pain, the point is you don't mind.) Pullmans indeed!. They are ok for holiday makers and well heeled ones at that. If you want to get from A to B efficiently by rail every day then the models you traduce are the thing to do it. (providing there are no engineering works at Clapham Junction) Incidentally do you use a mobile phone or a cordless domestic or have you a 'Candlestick' or GPO 'classic'* only? Do you wear trainers? Hand stitched from the finest natural canvas and soled with pure latex presumably. Can you honestly say there is nothing 'new or shiny' in your life? Or do you, like of the rest of the world, use whatever is convenient and fit for purpose. Except that you in your infinite widsom and snobbery cherry pick what you decide is 'the best' and condemn everything else across the board, and judging from a previous post you condemn 'everyone' else who does not share your Hyacinthian point of view.

Gari

*Usually whenever you hear the word 'Classic' you can just as easily substitute the word 'Old'

G.

The Clyde and Tyne shipyards simply built what they were asked to build. IF and it's a big IF we still had yards in those places they would be falling over themselves to build the modern boats ugly as they are and doffing their caps to the order-placers IF we still had yards, the blokes with the welding torches, spannners and hammers, the crane drivers, assemblers etc wouldn't give a flying act of procreation what the damn boats looked like as long as they had a job and a decent wage. Grow up! Even if Cunard do sell (and very successfully) a kind of time warp there is no need to actually believe it.

Are we to understand that your home is still lit by beautiful Gasoliers.

Your carpets and rugs swept by hand. Your meals cooked on a 'classic'* open fire, regularly served on Sevrés and Royal Doulton china. Your clothes are all tailored by hand and you dont wear any artificial fabrics whatever. Does your 'classic'* car not have modern compound rubber tyres or do you still drive on solids on wooden rims? I've never had a Rolls Royce unfortunately but I have had 'classic'* cars and by and large unless you are an enthusiast they are a pain the the proverbial. (Even if you are an enthusiast they are still a pain, the point is you don't mind.) Pullmans indeed!. They are ok for holiday makers and well heeled ones at that. If you want to get from A to B efficiently by rail every day then the models you traduce are the thing to do it. (providing there are no engineering works at Clapham Junction) Incidentally do you use a mobile phone or a cordless domestic or have you a 'Candlestick' or GPO 'classic'* only? Do you wear trainers? Hand stitched from the finest natural canvas and soled with pure latex presumably. Can you honestly say there is nothing 'new or shiny' in your life? Or do you, like of the rest of the world, use whatever is convenient and fit for purpose. Except that you in your infinite widsom and snobbery cherry pick what you decide is 'the best' and condemn everything else across the board, and judging from a previous post you condemn 'everyone' else who does not share your Hyacinthian point of view.

Gari

*Usually whenever you hear the word 'Classic' you can just as easily substitute the word 'Old'

G.

Is that it Gari ? :D :rolleyes:

Gav :cool:

I think Cunard should get out of it.. now. Even with the penalty. NCL payed EUR100m to get out of there F3 deal and only build 1 ship instead of the 2 sisters orginaly on the block.

You cancelled a voyage on QE2 because of a better deal on NCL?

Unbelievable.

You do seem to cancel an awful lot of trips - I'd hate to be your TA!:eek:

Sorry dear :p

Gav, I just looked up a reply to my first post on this board last June where I came across your name for the first time.

Garigoun must be the biggest idiot on this board. Taken Gavboy's mantle right from him....

Any comment Gav?icon7.gif

Gari

Gav, I just looked up a reply to my first post on this board last June where I came across your name for the first time.

Gari

OK - fess up. You just resurrected that post because it's the nicest thing anybody on here's ever said about you!!!

I'm right aren't I?

;)

J

OK - fess up. You just resurrected that post because it's the nicest thing anybody on here's ever said about you!!!

I'm right aren't I?

;)

J

No, I remembered it because I was deeply, deeply hurt. Almost traumatised. I am very sensitive you know. I mean, come ON I was new to the board, I didn't know who GavBoy was did I? He could have been a wicked, evil barmpot who.................OH Dear, OH my God!!!

Gari

No, I remembered it because I was deeply, deeply hurt. Almost traumatised. I am very sensitive you know. I mean, come ON I was new to the board, I didn't know who GavBoy was did I? He could have been a wicked, evil barmpot who.................OH Dear, OH my God!!!

Gari

Gari,

Now why would you want to go and dig up such unpleasantness? Slow day over your side 'o the pond, eh? Can't we just look to the bright future now that we have a new president?:)

To all the 'all Vistas are the same' brigade......Sea Trade Insider news lists newbuilds for the next couple of years. The cost per berth for similar ships is interesting:

Costa Luminosa - $234k (not quite a Vista - but a very close relation)

Nieuw Amsterdam - $270k

Queen Elizabeth - $338k

But then, 'they are all the same.....'

Peter

To all the 'all Vistas are the same' brigade......Sea Trade Insider news lists newbuilds for the next couple of years. The cost per berth for similar ships is interesting:

Costa Luminosa - $234k (not quite a Vista - but a very close relation)

Nieuw Amsterdam - $270k

Queen Elizabeth - $338k

But then, 'they are all the same.....'

Peter

Peter, what do you think this means? Are they pumping more money into QE to make her a better ship?, or is it just that the other 2 lines got a better deal at the ship yard?

Any comment Gav?icon7.gif

Gari

Fifty Dollar Bob ( Matthew ) always had a way with words :eek: and still has :p i think he is just jealous of my status :D

Peter, what do you think this means? Are they pumping more money into QE to make her a better ship?, or is it just that the other 2 lines got a better deal at the ship yard?

All three contracts would have been negotiated by Carnival Corporate Shipbuilding - in part the costs may reflect the different timings of deals - but I suspect the main issue is how much is being spent on each ship. From the quality of the materials I saw on Queen Victoria (except from the lack of teak decks) - marble, tiles etc - I would not been surprised if Queen Elizabeth costs more because of more expensive materials.

Peter

Hang on - I'm thinking!!!

Ah - got it. How about having a quiet word with your Upgrade Fairy and seeing if you can sort something out for me for 20 Apr? :):)

J

I know several Fairy`s and will see what i can do :p ;) :eek:

Archived