Negotiate an Upsell?

Suni99

Think i have read before where people have been offered upsells, and have negotiated the price. Is it a good idea to negotiate the price? do most people either accept the price or do you try to haggle?I am asking b/c I never knew you could do this, ive only negotiated the price on a car.lol.was offered an upsell yesterday but it still was a bit too high, so im thinking i will wait and see if the price drops closer to sailing or throw out a price to them ,thanks for your imput:)

When I got the call, I told the nice lady it was a bit to high for me and offered $500 less than was quoted. She said no, and I tried $400 less. she said let me check with a supervisor, who came back in the middle, and I accepted it. I went from an AD to AA.

Al

Edited by BikerAl

If you are already planning to say NO, then you might as well try for a lower price. I would not count on them calling you back because one of the next few people might say yes.

Thanks, They said I could call them back after I talked it over with the DH, but for some reason I get "shy" when asking for a deal:o. I am not in a hurry if its still available then fine, but im thinking if you wait till your sail date gets within 10 days the discount is much better

Suni - I'm not sure I'd count on getting another call 10 days out from your sail date. Please remember that they will keep putting offers out there and sooner or later someone will say yes,yes, yes and the cabin is gone.

I'm sure you booked a cabin category you could be happy (at least I hope so) and if you don't get an upsell this time around maybe next cruise.

Our experience (two upsells) was positive. In both instances I tried negotiating and wound up splitting the difference between my counter offer and their counter offer. It's only a great deal if you've paid a price you are comfortable with. I would have paid twice the amount we did for our upsale to the courtyard villa - it was truly an incredible experience.

We're booked in an AD AFT on this cruise and will be thrilled whether we get an upsell offer or not. I've already looked at the suites that we would consider (only really 2 would tempt us to give up our aft suite) and have figured out my "Oh my God yes" dollar amount:D so I'm ready just in case. But again, thrilled with our AD so we're fine if someone else gets "the call" and we don't.

Suni - I'm not sure I'd count on getting another call 10 days out from your sail date. Please remember that they will keep putting offers out there and sooner or later someone will say yes,yes, yes and the cabin is gone.

I'm sure you booked a cabin category you could be happy (at least I hope so) and if you don't get an upsell this time around maybe next cruise.

Our experience (two upsells) was positive. In both instances I tried negotiating and wound up splitting the difference between my counter offer and their counter offer. It's only a great deal if you've paid a price you are comfortable with. I would have paid twice the amount we did for our upsale to the courtyard villa - it was truly an incredible experience.

We're booked in an AD AFT on this cruise and will be thrilled whether we get an upsell offer or not. I've already looked at the suites that we would consider (only really 2 would tempt us to give up our aft suite) and have figured out my "Oh my God yes" dollar amount:D so I'm ready just in case. But again, thrilled with our AD so we're fine if someone else gets "the call" and we don't.

We're on the same sailing as you and are in a BA aft. We too have figured out what we would do if an upsell comes our way. For this cruise we wouldn't pay too much but if we get an offer for our July Mediterannean cruise we would definitely want to jump on it!

Let us know if anything comes your way, it still looks like there are a lot of higher categories available. Our roll call has really been quiet - maybe it will just be the 2 of us??!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchdiva

We're booked in an AD AFT on this cruise and will be thrilled whether we get an upsell offer or not. I've already looked at the suites that we would consider (only really 2 would tempt us to give up our aft suite) and have figured out my "Oh my God yes" dollar amount so I'm ready just in case. But again, thrilled with our AD so we're fine if someone else gets "the call" and we don't.

We're on the same sailing as you and are in a BA aft. We too have figured out what we would do if an upsell comes our way. For this cruise we wouldn't pay too much but if we get an offer for our July Mediterannean cruise we would definitely want to jump on it!

Let us know if anything comes your way, it still looks like there are a lot of higher categories available. Our roll call has really been quiet - maybe it will just be the 2 of us?

?!!

Oops, sorry I wasn't thinking right - you are on the sailing AFTER ours, not with us. Perhaps if we get the call, you'll be next in line!!;)

Edited by lhall85917

• Administrators
Thanks, They said I could call them back after I talked it over with the DH, but for some reason I get "shy" when asking for a deal:o. I am not in a hurry if its still available then fine, but im thinking if you wait till your sail date gets within 10 days the discount is much better

I think the best advice is to decide in ADVANCE what price for what upsell category and amount would be okay with you. If you are lucky enough to receive an offer at all, then you would know whether you should counteroffer, or just say no. That's the kind of decision which you can make much less stressful by considering it in advance and knowing your limits.

If SO and I decided that we'd upgrade from AE to AC (or better) for no more than $200 per person, and we got a call regarding an upsell at $400 per person -- we'd counteroffer, and if rejected still be glad with what we had. If we got a call with an upsell at $1000 more per person, we'd say thanks, but no thanks.

If we got a call at $300 more per person, that's the only "gray area" we'd have, and it would be my fault -- anything less would be a no-brainer (because we figured out our views in advance) and a reasonable amount more would trigger "counteroffer" -- but my SO would say "we decided on $200 more and this is outside that, so 'no,'" while I would be dithering (I'm a Libra!). :)

Still in most cases deciding in advance on YOUR "hot button" numbers is good advice -- the odds are against you getting a call of any kind (within ten days of sailing most ships are full and no calls are made), but it's empowering to have an idea of what you are, or are not, willing to do.

Edited by MichellP

I was able to get a little bit of info on how they do the upsells this week from one of the reps. What they do is when they start doing the upsells at about 20 days they discount the room by 30% (35% on the owners suite) and shop the rooms. Your upsell price will be figured out as follows:

Current Price of the Room 30% off minus what you've already paid...

At some point the 30% goes to 50% (for me this was at about 10 days prior to the cruise). I was told by the rep that they never go lower than 50% of the current rooms price...

I would suggest looking on NCL.com at the available rooms and doing the math so you'll be prepared if/when they call. I did not negotiate with the rep because I felt that I was already getting a great deal with what was offered.

Hope this helps...

When do they contact you for an upsell, we are currently in an Aft Mini suite which is a location we like. The price for a penthouse is currently $500 more then the mini suite which I find to far out of our reach. We do not cruise on the Pearl until December and booked our cruise through our TA. I would not be opposed to upgrading if the price were right.

Suni, I did get an upsell about 2 weeks ago for our upcoming on the Pearl. The price from our Mini to an AB was more then I was willing to spend so I asked the rep if I could speak with my DH. She agreed and said she would hold it for me for 2 hours. I called her back and gave her our bottom price which she agreed was reasonible and accptd it. It was about 40% off the original price. So yes you can negotiate, dont be afraid to do it, whats the worst they could say, no

I agree with the other posters though, be ready in advance with what you are willing to pay.

That is great info, Bryan...

Suni.. The one thing I want to stress to you from the advise that has been given to you is call them and make them a counter offer, if the deal is still even available. The chances of you getting a second call are even more remote than they were for you to get the first call.

Dale,

If you paid $750 for a mini I'd be really surprised if a penthouse went as low as $1200...Most of the time I see the AC's they are in the $2000 to $2500 range PP for a 7 day. Lets say that the AC was at $2000. They would discount it 30% first then if they couldn't sell it that way they would discount it to 50%. So it would be $2000 - 50% - what you aready paid....you would owe $250 PP.

I think the best advice is to decide in ADVANCE what price for what upsell category and amount would be okay with you. If you are lucky enough to receive an offer at all, then you would know whether you should counteroffer, or just say no. That's the kind of decision which you can make much less stressful by considering it in advance and knowing your limits.

If SO and I decided that we'd upgrade from AE to AC (or better) for no more than $200 per person, and we got a call regarding an upsell at $400 per person -- we'd counteroffer, and if rejected still be glad with what we had. If we got a call with an upsell at $1000 more per person, we'd say thanks, but no thanks.

If we got a call at $300 more per person, that's the only "gray area" we'd have, and it would be my fault -- anything less would be a no-brainer (because we figured out our views in advance) and a reasonable amount more would trigger "counteroffer" -- but my SO would say "we decided on $200 more and this is outside that, so 'no,'" while I would be dithering (I'm a Libra!). :)

Still in most cases deciding in advance on YOUR "hot button" numbers is good advice -- the odds are against you getting a call of any kind (within ten days of sailing most ships are full and no calls are made), but it's empowering to have an idea of what you are, or are not, willing to do.

I am a Libra too, lol...:D

bottom line is, the rep told me to call them back when i decide if the room is still available. I have their phone number so im not expecting them to call me, i am to call them when i decide.

I have a BA aft room so im very happy with the room I have, as time goes by and its still available i will give it a shot for a great rate:D

thanks for all the great advice everyone!

Dale,

If you paid $750 for a mini I'd be really surprised if a penthouse went as low as $1200...Most of the time I see the AC's they are in the $2000 to $2500 range PP for a 7 day. Lets say that the AC was at $2000. They would discount it 30% first then if they couldn't sell it that way they would discount it to 50%. So it would be $2000 - 50% - what you aready paid....you would owe $250 PP.

Bryan, on the Pearl cruise I am taking in December with my military discount the prices I quoted is what I am paying for the mini suite and thought that was a steal. The penthouse is going for $1200 PP thought that was a bit high. In following your math I see how you did it and that makes sense. I am also understanding if I am seeing a penthouse for $1200 PP your saying that is also a good deal as well LOL and here I thought $700 more was expensive for the next catergory even with all the perks. I guess their going to pass on me for the upsell. I do appreciate that you explain it to me thanks so much.

Bryan, on the Pearl cruise I am taking in December with my military discount the prices I quoted is what I am paying for the mini suite and thought that was a steal. The penthouse is going for $1200 PP thought that was a bit high. In following your math I see how you did it and that makes sense. I am also understanding if I am seeing a penthouse for $1200 PP your saying that is also a good deal as well LOL and here I thought $700 more was expensive for the next catergory even with all the perks. I guess their going to pass on me for the upsell. I do appreciate that you explain it to me thanks so much.

Hi Dale,

You are right, the AE's in December 09 are in the $1200 range. That seems like a really good deal already! I'm not sure how my math would work on those but I'd be that they'll sell out always as it seems like a good deal already.

• 7 years later...
Think i have read before where people have been offered upsells, and have negotiated the price. Is it a good idea to negotiate the price? do most people either accept the price or do you try to haggle?I am asking b/c I never knew you could do this, ive only negotiated the price on a car.lol.was offered an upsell yesterday but it still was a bit too high, so im thinking i will wait and see if the price drops closer to sailing or throw out a price to them ,thanks for your imput:)

We got an upsell offer today via email for the March 20th Breakaway Cruise from Norwegian. They want $2500 to $3000 for an upgrade to the haven. Has anyone got them down from that?

I was able to get a little bit of info on how they do the upsells this week from one of the reps. What they do is when they start doing the upsells at about 20 days they discount the room by 30% (35% on the owners suite) and shop the rooms. Your upsell price will be figured out as follows:

Current Price of the Room 30% off minus what you've already paid...

At some point the 30% goes to 50% (for me this was at about 10 days prior to the cruise). I was told by the rep that they never go lower than 50% of the current rooms price...

I would suggest looking on NCL.com at the available rooms and doing the math so you'll be prepared if/when they call. I did not negotiate with the rep because I felt that I was already getting a great deal with what was offered.

Hope this helps...

This is a little disheartening. For my two week med sailing even an SE is 15k. The H4 18k. So if the H4 never will go below 30/50% that's a lot of cash to cough up 10 days prior to sailing. The upsell department must have a lot of phone calls to make to get a taker on an upgrade. Even if booked in one of the mini suites you will still be paying double what already paid for the last minute upgrade.

Perhaps that's why suite upgrades were given as bingo prizes on our last med sailing. one week they gave an SE next week it was the GV.