Verandah Size

Jade13

Hi Jade13,

We haven't stayed in an aft cabin, but I did some research on them when trying to decide on a cabin for our cruise...and this is more info than you've asked for, but I thought it might help....

Deck 7 seems to be preferable for two reasons: there is vibration at the stern of the ship (we felt some in our balcony cabin on deck 7, just aft of the elevators)...so the higher up, the less vibration. Deck 8 is under the outdoor eating area of Windows Cafe, so some chair scraping noise might be noticeable.

:)

Deck 8 has these areas above it. The pool where people drag chairs around, poolside grill, and the buffet at the aft of the ship. You not only have the eating, where people are constantly adjusting chairs, and serving area, you have the kitchen where food is being prepared, beginning at 5:30 AM. Deck 7 is preferable, with staterooms above and below.

Deck 8 has these areas above it. The pool where people drag chairs around, poolside grill, and the buffet at the aft of the ship. You not only have the eating, where people are constantly adjusting chairs, and serving area, you have the kitchen where food is being prepared, beginning at 5:30 AM. Deck 7 is preferable, with staterooms above and below.

I looked at the deck plans and liked Deck 7. I have always like forward cabins and was wondering if those forward or aft were larger.

Also, why are the Sunset verandah's more (close to a $1,000 some days for two people for two weeks). Do they offer additional amenities or are you paying for location?

We have a Sunset Veranda Cabin 7116 on our upcoming cruise on Azamara. We had that cabin twice before on Oceania and did NOT pay extra for it. I think that RCI (Azamara's parent company) just wants to get more money for it. We decided to go for it. It's no bigger than the regular Veranda cabins on that deck.

Sheila

Jade13 -

Starting on deck 6 with the largest (deepest) balcony, they do get progressively (or would that be regressively) smaller the higher you go. Deck 6 is large, deck 7 medium, deck 8 small (compared to the others). If you take a look at some of our pictures, you'll see what I mean. Our pix were of our cabins 6090 and 6093 on Azamara Quest and Oceania Regatta, all sisterships of the same design.

Jade,

On Azamara you are paying for the larger balcony which on both Oceania and Princess (Tahitian, Pacific and Royal) are the same cost as the normal verandah cabins.

On those ships it is first in, first served, if you do prefer the aft location, also remembering that the railing is solid not like the verandahs on the side that are open and I have read on some posts that soot can come down from the funnel.

Jennie

Jade13 -

Starting on deck 6 with the largest (deepest) balcony, they do get progressively (or would that be regressively) smaller the higher you go. Deck 6 is large, deck 7 medium, deck 8 small (compared to the others). If you take a look at some of our pictures, you'll see what I mean. Our pix were of our cabins 6090 and 6093 on Azamara Quest and Oceania Regatta, all sisterships of the same design.

Very good photos. Thank you for showing.

Jade,

On Azamara you are paying for the larger balcony which on both Oceania and Princess (Tahitian, Pacific and Royal) are the same cost as the normal verandah cabins.

On those ships it is first in, first served, if you do prefer the aft location, also remembering that the railing is solid not like the verandahs on the side that are open and I have read on some posts that soot can come down from the funnel.

Jennie

Is the Quest identical to a Oceana ship as well as the Royal Princess (and Tahitian and Pacific)?

There were 8 ships built for Renaissance. The first 5 were exactly the same and they are : Nautica, Oceania, Regatta and Pacific Princess, Tahitian Princess. The other three were built differently. The original five have verandahs on Decks 6 and 7 and mini suites (Princess) or PH's (Oceania) on Deck 8.

The other three were built slightly differently. They were built with the same size Verandahs as on Deck 6, 7 and 8. The Royal Princess has stayed that way but Azamara has changed both the Quest and Journey and have made half of Deck 8 mini suites or S.S. as they are called on Azamara and the other are still the original verandahs

Therefore when you cruise on any of these ships, if you have been on one, then you will feel equally at home on all of them. We have had 5 cruises so far on these ships and our 6th will be next month. At the end of this year the Tahitian Princess is being renamed to Ocean Princess and we will be back on her in May next year.

We love the size of these ships and the English Country Style interiors. They are very warm, inviting ships. easy to move around in and not too large.

Jennie

There were 8 ships built for Renaissance. The first 5 were exactly the same and they are : Nautica, Oceania, Regatta and Pacific Princess, Tahitian Princess. The other three were built differently. The original five have verandahs on Decks 6 and 7 and mini suites (Princess) or PH's (Oceania) on Deck 8.

The other three were built slightly differently. They were built with the same size Verandahs as on Deck 6, 7 and 8. The Royal Princess has stayed that way but Azamara has changed both the Quest and Journey and have made half of Deck 8 mini suites or S.S. as they are called on Azamara and the other are still the original verandahs

Therefore when you cruise on any of these ships, if you have been on one, then you will feel equally at home on all of them. We have had 5 cruises so far on these ships and our 6th will be next month. At the end of this year the Tahitian Princess is being renamed to Ocean Princess and we will be back on her in May next year.

We love the size of these ships and the English Country Style interiors. They are very warm, inviting ships. easy to move around in and not too large.

Jennie

Interesting. I like the size as well. I did not know that Journey, quest and Royal were the same ship. We will be on Quest next year based on the itinerary. I was interested in Royal Princess but my DH wants to stick with HAL if possible.

Jade,

We are great fans of HAL, we will be receiving our 100 day medals when we will be on their lovely Prinsendam in November but we also like being on the smaller ships of Princess having been on the Pacific Princess once and the Tahitian Princess 3 times.

I am sure you will enjoy the Quest as we will shortly. There was a good review written very recently about the ship.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=51129 and this one as well.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=50764

Jennie

Archived