Cabin Suggestion on NCL Sun?

hannahbelle

We've just booked our first cruise on the NCL Sun to Alaska. We're in PH AC 0265. It's aft on the Norway deck directly below the 24-hour cafe.

Can someone tell me if the people on the cafe balcony can look down onto ours? That would be a nightmare because we definitely want complete privacy.

Also, if you've been under a public space anywhere on the Sun can you please tell me what the sound insulation is like? I know on some ships you can't hear anything from floor to floor.

Thanks!:)

• Administrators
We've just booked our first cruise on the NCL Sun to Alaska. We're in PH AC 0265. It's aft on the Norway deck directly below the 24-hour cafe.

Can someone tell me if the people on the cafe balcony can look down onto ours? That would be a nightmare because we definitely want complete privacy.

Also, if you've been under a public space anywhere on the Sun can you please tell me what the sound insulation is like? I know on some ships you can't hear anything from floor to floor.

Here's a photo of the aft of the Sun -- you can see people on the cafe balcony above your cabin, and it doesn't appear they can see "into" your balcony.

2457064540101795198S500x500Q85.jpg

Have a great cruise!

I do not believe that people can see you (maybe if you are standing at the railing), but the noise from above when they are cleaning the deck early in the morning may be bothersome. I think you would be better off one deck lower.

d man

We were on the Sun in November one deck down and next door in a balcony unit.

They will see you if your standing at your railing.

We have had a few aft cabins now but I must say that the soot problem was really really bad on the Sun so you want to make sure your room stewards stay on top of it. I just sat out with the NCL robe on and if it got black so be it!

You may want to read some of the recent reviews on the Sun on the "reviews" page.

We were on the Sun in Sept. and loved the Great Outdoors in the mornings. If looking over the rail we could not see into the balconies below us but could view the railing.

We met some nice people who had splurged on the aft balconies and were most unhappy with the soot problem.

I have seen other posts about the soot and the people that we met were quite unhappy that they could not truly enjoy their balconies.

When are you cruising? That is our room in Sept. We had an Aft on the Pearl right below the great outdoors and never had any noise problem. Why the soot problem on the Sun and not have had any on the other ships reported from people. Ideas? Would hate to have the soot problem if one can change room early to avoid that.

Nancy

This is by far one of the BEST, for the money, cabins in the NCL fleet.

You will only be able to see the people above you if you lean out and look up. As long as you are standing a foot in from the railing, there is no one who can see what your doing.

I would thing strongly on booking the AC cabin one deck lower. The noise on the deck under the cafe, from chairs and tables being moved by the cleaning crew, will wake you every morning at 6am or earlier.

If you book any of the AC suites on the Sun, you will be very spoiled and never want any other cabin. The size of the room is amazing and it was great for us to have a seprate room from the kids. We did bring a twin airbed as the couch folds out and can sleep two, but it does not split into two seprate beds.

The butler brought snacks, served us breakfast on the balcony, delivered movies and came to the room every morning with fresh hot coffee.

Here's a photo I took leaning over the railing as people looked down from above.

Railing.jpg.a2fbc0a0fec5eba783a77e778d9f353e.jpg

• Administrators
When are you cruising? That is our room in Sept. We had an Aft on the Pearl right below the great outdoors and never had any noise problem. Why the soot problem on the Sun and not have had any on the other ships reported from people. Ideas? Would hate to have the soot problem if one can change room early to avoid that.

Nancy

Check out this thread -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=755727&highlight=suet -- in it the original poster refers to "suet" which, several posts in, folks realize means "soot."

We were in 9076 (corner Aft deck 9) on thee Sun in March/08. never heard a sound from above unless it was someone looking over from the room above. if people really tried to look in, from above or to the side they could, but only if we werestanding at the railing too.

We had suite AC 0065 on deck 10 for our cruise Oct. "07" and it is one of our favorite suites. The only time we had problems with soot seemed to be when it was really windy, only a couple of days out of the 7---our room steward was very good at keeping the balcony clean. If your up aganist the railing and look up you may see people standing at the railing. The worst was people flicking their cig. over the rail!:mad: Noise?? did not hear much of anything. We like the aft on the Sun so much we bk'd AC 9076 deck 9 for our South America cruise in Mar. 2010.

Have a wonderful cruise!!:D

We had suite AC 0065 on deck 10 for our cruise Oct. "07" and it is one of our favorite suites. The only time we had problems with soot seemed to be when it was really windy, only a couple of days out of the 7---our room steward was very good at keeping the balcony clean. If your up aganist the railing and look up you may see people standing at the railing. The worst was people flicking their cig. over the rail!:mad: Noise?? did not hear much of anything. We like the aft on the Sun so much we bk'd AC 9076 deck 9 for our South America cruise in Mar. 2010.

We have been in this exact same suite as Retired and I have to tell you it is the best suite we have ever stayed in. The bathroom alone is to die for. I have to agree with what every one else is saying about if you sitting or lounging on your chairs with them backed up against the wall, I do not think many would be able to see you. I do think about half way from the wall to the railing they would just by standing at the railing of the outdoor cafe. I had a lady completely bitch me out from up there one day because I was feeding sea birds grapes as they were eating up there and it bothered them..( I have since learned you should not feed the birds so I don't for their health and safety).

As far as soot, we never had a problem with it but I will tell you we had ALL KINDS OF TRASH all the time. Napkins, banana peels, etc. The room stewards did do a good job keeping the balcony clean, but it was a constant problem.

With every concern about that balcony, I would book that room again in a heart beat. It literally has been my favorite suite we have ever had on any ship.

Nancy

We have always had soot problems but only a small amount at the initial leaving of ports and I mean tiny amts . On the Sun it was literally coming down in sheets often and every day, it was also a 19 day cruise. But like I said I just sat out in ncl house coat if it wasn't cleaned up. It was also landing on people as they were sitting in the outdoor buffet.

We had htat room March/08... it is great!!!! enjoy!!

This is by far one of the BEST, for the money, cabins in the NCL fleet.

You will only be able to see the people above you if you lean out and look up. As long as you are standing a foot in from the railing, there is no one who can see what your doing.

I would thing strongly on booking the AC cabin one deck lower. The noise on the deck under the cafe, from chairs and tables being moved by the cleaning crew, will wake you every morning at 6am or earlier.

If you book any of the AC suites on the Sun, you will be very spoiled and never want any other cabin. The size of the room is amazing and it was great for us to have a seprate room from the kids. We did bring a twin airbed as the couch folds out and can sleep two, but it does not split into two seprate beds.

The butler brought snacks, served us breakfast on the balcony, delivered movies and came to the room every morning with fresh hot coffee.

Here's a photo I took leaning over the railing as people looked down from above.

I disagree with your comment about the ac aft cabin on the Sun. If they offered it to me for $50 pp I may consider it. But having been in the one next to us in Nov. it was by far no way comparable to the Sky or the newer ship penthouse suites. The Sun penthouse was dingy, stained carpet from soot, antique tv's no lavazza coffee machine and the list goes on.

The bottom line is that this ship (suites) is missing a lot of the 2.0 upgrade's that were suppose to be completed on all ships. If I had booked this suite compared to what we have had in the past I would just be pissed.

Also if you read the recent reviews from Nov till now you will see complaints about the lack of, or should I say NO service from the butler "Lucky". However Belky was quite good.

Bottom line! I would only do this ship again if was rock bottom pricing.

Those AC aft's on the Sun are wonderful! It's been 4 or 5 years since we had that cabin but by far the best cabin we've had yet! That wrap around balcony is so nice!

As far as privacy though, yikes, not real private! We made friends with the couple in the AC above us and we would all be out on our balcony's talking each day as we pulled out of port and toasted the next stop! Most definately not private!

If you need complete privacy how about go into your cabin, there's a bed right there.

Thank you for all your responses!:) I think we're going to live with the soot but we may move down a floor to get away from the Cafe. I can't wait to go to Alaska!

If you need complete privacy how about go into your cabin, there's a bed right there.

I didn't mean that kind of privacy. I'm taking my mother and son on this cruise but I want to be able to go outside in my nightgown and also to be able read without feeling pressured to make small talk with neighbors. :)

Thank you for all your responses!:) I think we're going to live with the soot but we may move down a floor to get away from the Cafe. I can't wait to go to Alaska!

I didn't mean that kind of privacy. I'm taking my mother and son on this cruise but I want to be able to go outside in my nightgown and also to be able read without feeling pressured to make small talk with neighbors. :)

Actually if you don't want to be seen you won't. Sitting on your deck chair under the balcony above you will give you the privacy you are looking for. Only standing toward the railing will you be seen. Enjoy your cruise to Alaska, wonderful cruise.

Archived