Suggestions for Mazatlan - on our own??

Ratdoggie

We are taking a Princess cruise in March and stopping at PV, Mazatlan and Cabo. We have excursions planned for PV and Cabo, so in Mazatlan I'd like to just explore on our own a bit. To give an idea of what I'm looking for...

1. Beach - I've heard great things about Stone Island, Randi's Happy Horses, and Victors. Sounds promising but we will be at a beach the day before (Las Caletas) so I'd like to do something a little different. Would there be time to explore town a bit and then head to Stone Island/Victors later in the afternoon?

2. Shopping - not into it.

3. What I'd really like to see is something unique to Mazatlan or Mexico. Any ideas? Also, I've seen mention of a seahorse farm(?) and an aquarium...has anyone visited either of these? How about the lighthouse?

mazatlan pier is located in a large industrial ship yard (at the very south end of town). Walking out is far. If you step outside the colorful taxi area in the port terminal(thru the exit gates), you will find many less expensive taxis. The large mexican city is not so nice to see. We rent a scooter and make our way to the north end of town (10+ miles). We visit a variety of spots, all along the coast, none of which are spectacular. The different thing about mazatlan is the open air taxis (like a fiberglass dune buggy), and the inexpensive palapa beachfront fish meals and beer. The resorts are older. I would think a fun driver in an open air cab that would take you on a fun tour on an hourly rate would be best (be patient as they mob you and bargain in a soft tone of voice). I would keep him driving, unless you really like what he shows you at a stop. If you ask to tour up to the Playa Bruja, you will have seen the whole coastal area. At the end you could have hom show you the stone island ferry area and the lighthouse (near the cruise termial), so you could choose to climp it or not and walk back to the ship. We are going again next month and we will likley finish up with a stone island stop. Below are some pics of what we see in mazatlan

a cheap palapa fish and beer meal near the south end of town

IMG_1691.jpg

the marina past the el cid hotel

IMG_5332.jpg

we finish up at the north end of town at the Bruja

IMG_1668.jpg

Take a cab to the Cathedral, it's very impressive. Walk over to the market. Then to Plaza Machado and have food and beer at Cafe Pacifico. Then cab or walk back. You may want to include the opera house tour.

Do a search of this site and you'll find a lot of useful info.

Smooth sailin'

We were in Mazatlan last week and created our own tour as follows:

Negotiated a pulmonia (open air cab) tour into the old town at the terminal. We told the guy who was coordinating pulmonia rides what we wanted to do. He took us to a pulmonia waiting outside as that driver spoke better English. Drove around looking at some of the old buildings and narrow streets. Played a game of chicken with a delivery truck which our guide didn't see as he was busy pointing something out to us. Stopped at the cathedral and looked inside. Drove to the Malecon and followed the coast road to the lighthouse ($20 US).

We were dropped off at the lighthouse and hiked to the top. It was a moderately strenuous climb so we took our time. There is a dirt road to follow about halfway up then 326 concrete steps (yeah, we counted them on the way down). It took about 45 minutes to reach the top. There is a great view from up there. The lighthouse keeper sells bottled water and sodas (we had brought water). Bought Diet Cokes (Coke Lights in Mexico) from the booth at the base of the lighthouse (80 pesos each, paid $1 since we hadn't converted our currency) and walked to the Stone Island ferry (1 mile). There were pulmonias driving around offering rides, but we opted to walk.

Took the water taxi to Stone Island (200 pesos each round trip, paid in USD, $2). Please note that the water taxis require a little balancing skill to get in and out. Similar to stepping into a fishing skiff off a dock, nothing too hard.

Walked the beach at Stone Island and ate lunch at Lety's (the place next to Victor's). Had an excellent lunch (1/2 garlic shrimp/ 1/2 cocoanut shrimp and the fish plate) and a couple of drinks for $22. Had to say "No Gracias" about every 1.5 minutes to various vendors as we ate - not a problem. Please note that the restaurants on Stone Island are not for the picky. These are not your health department approved squeeky clean chain restaurants - they are rustic in every way. We met people who had come to Stone Island on tours who were appalled at the idea of eating there. However, it was exactly what we wanted (and we didn't die or catch any thing that we know about yet).

Decided to walk further south along the beach to a place in front of the RV area and lay out. This was beyond all the tourist areas so we had a quiet hour or so (i.e. no vendors).

Took the water taxi back across the channel and walked the 1/2 mile to the cruise terminal (pulmonia rides were available). Went into the souvenir market across from the main terminal. We found the best prices and highest quality tourist junk here compared to the other ports we visited (it might have helped that our boat was sailing in 1/2 hour)

All in all we had a very relaxing and memorable day. The only thing we regret not doing was walking about in the downtown market. We heard later that it was worth seeing.

Thanks for the pics and the suggestions, makes me want to be there already!

To Newway - I did some checking on the internet. Can't find anything about the seahorse farm. Perhaps it's not much of an attraction. As far as the aquarium, I think the official name is Aquario Mazatlan. Some reviews I read elsewhere said that even though it's older and small, it was very enjoyable. There is a seal show, a shark tank, and a large variety of fish. All the shows and display info are in Spanish. Not sure of the location but I'm sure an address can be found on the internet.

9 weeks until my cruise...I'm getting antsy!

Well Ratdoggie, you did not say which week in March. If it is the week of the 7th, we'll be onboard with you. You asked for a recommendation for something unique to Mazatlan and you can find it by googling "Mazatlan-Frank". You can put together a tour based on all the choices you will find on his site. We spent the day with him the last time we were in Mazatlan and it was the highlight of our cruise 2 years ago. We found him right here on these boards thanks to helpful posters and Cruise Critic. He had a new 15 pass. Ford van with great a/c and kept a large cooler full of local beers, bottled water and some Rum punch concoction, all ice cold and free for the asking. Even a thermos of coffee.

We stopped a few miles out of town at a family bakery in the back of the bakers home for a morning pastry and to watch the process, then to a couple of beautiful old chuches. Including one cathedral. Stopped to watch adobe bricks made by hand, it really was very interesting. Then more local sites and some stops to watch furniture being custom made to order by local craftsmen. Plus at the request of others in the van, some stops for souveniers and silver jewelry. Frank was right their to do the haggling for you in spanish and always got the lowest price. He would tell you what was too much.

Then a stop at "Tonys on the beach" for lunch (fresh seafood, huge portions, for like 7 bucks and that included drinks). Then off to see a family business where they handmade tiles of every color of the rainbow like you would put in a kitchen or bath, this was really neat to see. the day ended back in town and a trip around to see all the local attractions.

Frank was always a gentleman, perfect english, really funny and very helpful and knowledgable about his people and their culture. A fascinating day, went about 30 miles out into the countryside at one point and saw so much to really give us a feel for the area and its culture. Best $40pp we ever spent. Since this was all set up long before we got there, he was waiting for us as we got off the ship with a name placard. Bonus for the day is that since we were with him, we were never bothered by vendors, and he seems to be well respected and known to the locals.

Anyway, if you happen to be on the March 7th sailing, come on over to the roll call board for the Sapphire Princess and join in. We will be touring with Frank again and you could join our group and we can decide together what we want to see by checking out his website and then letting him know. I have already contacted him to be sure he is personally driving our tour. Hope this is of some help to you and others.

Thanks for your post Cruiseayear! We are sailing the week of March 21st so we'll be going after you. It sounds like Mazatlan Frank provides a great tour...I'll google him right now.

I have to say, I love the Cruise Critic message board. Such a great way to find information and advice!!! :)

Archived