Can you pay tips/gratuities w/Onboard Credit?

ameliabedilia

I just booked a cuise for May 17, (this year) for my family of 15- 6 rooms, on Monday (1/12). Well, I just looked tonight and the price went down about $200 a person. The difference in price for my sister and her family is about $1550. They probably would not use that in drinks etc... since she has four little kids.

Can we pay gratuities if we only get an onboard credit, or will they refund us the actual money? We have all just put down our minimum deposit and booked with a PVP that I used once before. Last year my family of four had about a $300 bill at the end of the cruise. Can't imagine it being in the thousands!

Thanks so much!

I just booked a cuise for May 17, (this year) for my family of 15- 6 rooms, on Monday (1/12). Well, I just looked tonight and the price went down about $200 a person. The difference in price for my sister and her family is about $1550. They probably would not use that in drinks etc... since she has four little kids.

Can we pay gratuities if we only get an onboard credit, or will they refund us the actual money? We have all just put down our minimum deposit and booked with a PVP that I used once before. Last year my family of four had about a $300 bill at the end of the cruise. Can't imagine it being in the thousands!

Thanks so much!

Well, if you just put the down payment and you are not within the penalty phase of your cruise(after final payment), they should just reduce the overall price of your cruise. Sounds like you used carnival to book, if so just call the 1-888 number and get your reduction. You can try to get the reduction thru your PVP you booked with, but its not necessary to wait for him/her. Sooner you call, the sooner you get the reduction.

Thank you! I had heard that, but when I went on the website tonight and looked at the 110% guarantee, it seemed that there were all kinds of restrictions- 48 hours to find a better rate and just an OBC, not cash, and you had to fill out a claim form??

Ohhhh, it sounds like you booked with Carnivals new program??? You are sure to get Carnivals best deal AND can get reduction in cruise price up to the cruise date in the form of OBC if the fare goes down. The catch with that program is your down payment is non-refundable.

Heres a link to another thread on CC bout that program.

Link:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

After checking Carnivals site for your 110% deal I think I might have given you some not 100% correct info. Is the price difference you are seeing on Carnivals website or from somewhere else? If you are matching your current fare you paid with what Carnival is now selling the cruise for, you should have no problem getting your reduction. From the way it reads on the 110% deal, you have 48 hours to get the match. Sound like you might be past the 48 hr deal if the cheaper rate is not from Carnival. I know I confused myself, so i'm pretty sure I might have confused you:(.

I don't think I booked with that program, but how would I know? The PVP didn't mention it to me and the cruise is in four months. Isn't that not far enough in advance for it. I did read through that thread, but it made me more confused.

I looked on both travelocity and carnival's website- the rate is a resident rate that seems to be working for residents of every state? At least the three states I checked. :)

I wish I hadn't found this on a Friday night. I doubt he will get back to me so I will probably stress about it all weekend. ugghhh!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I don't think I booked with that program, but how would I know? The PVP didn't mention it to me and the cruise is in four months. Isn't that not far enough in advance for it. I did read through that thread, but it made me more confused.

I looked on both travelocity and carnival's website- the rate is a resident rate that seems to be working for residents of every state? At least the three states I checked. :)

I wish I hadn't found this on a Friday night. I doubt he will get back to me so I will probably stress about it all weekend. ugghhh!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

You do not need to wait for your PVP to get back with you. Just call Carnivals 1-888 number. If the cheaper rate is on Carnivals website, you should have no problem getting the reduction to your cruise. If you did book with that program, you have to fill out some form. Please post back with what happened. If you used the new program for the orginal booking, many ppl here on CC would like to know how easy it was to get the reduction using the new programs claim form. Many ppl on here are very skeptical. Be aware, Carnival might want proof(no idea if they will) that you are a resident of the state getting the deal.

Dont wait on your PVP, the prices could go up before he/she gets back with you.

GL

I will call first thing in the morning. I didn't think about them being open on the weekends, duh. I will post what happened, especially if I did use the new program.

Thanks again.

If the first rep doesnt give you what you want to hear, hang up, wait a minute and call back. One rep will say no, the next might say yes, but I dont see why you should have any problems if the cheaper fares are on Carnivals website. BTW they are open NOW . They are 24/7:).

GL

I'm so happy- I called this morning (although I could have called last night, but was too tired) and got our 6 inside staterooms for 15 people on the lido deck down to about $450 a person! So happy! I already had a pretty good rate since my parents are coming with us and the PVP split them up with us. However my other siblings were going to be paying about $680 a person.

We did not use the new program. It wasn't mentioned to me and I'm assuming it's because the cruise is only four months away?

Thanks again!!!

Archived