Are we screwed my friend only has drivers license and social security card?

kyle2227

And for what "valid" reason could they dispute the charge with the c.card company ??? The cruiseline was not at fault...:confused:

If he said he just did this and he did this on line.........I have accidently purchased the wrong thing on line, called my cc co. and they took care of it no problem.........

Isn't Tuesday a federal holiday? Courthouses might be closed...good luck getting the birth certificate!

Monday is a Federal holiday. Tuesday is also Fed holiday in Wash DC only because of the inauguration.

And no, he does not HAVE to have a passport; not until sailing June 1, 2009, unless it's changed again.

And for what "valid" reason could they dispute the charge with the c.card company ??? The cruiseline was not at fault...:confused:

I was thinking the same thing. That's not fair to Carnival. It really is a shame that people don't do more research (reading the fine print of the cruise contract) before booking a cruise. It appears that OP may be sailing alone unless he can get someone else to take the friend's place(another option).

Of course we would love to hear that he/she is able to retrieve their BC in time. Either way, I hope it works out for the two of you.

FYI on vitalcheck. Not all can be processed that quickly. My son was born in Los Angeles County, and they will hold up processing until you MAIL them a sworn affidavit. Don't know why LA county is that way.:confused: My other son was born in a county 15 miles from the other, and they don't require that.

Correct that Tuesday is a Federal Holiday for Wash DC and the surrounding counties only. I work for the Fed Gov't in Fairfax and we have the day off.

We love having passports and keep those and our bc's in one place all the time so we always know where they are and that we have them.

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE on the not needing passports for "closed loop" cruises?

Yes I am absolutely sure. Here are the requirements from the Customs and Border Protection website. The quote is from page two, bottom left hand column.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

Do you have a direct contact regarding this or just contact CCL in general?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO

Jane in NC

Here is what Carnival says on their website.

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a passport or other recognized document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see www.travel.state.gov. U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card. Canadian citizens must present a valid passport. Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_travel_document.aspx

Happy Cruzin' :)

BTW how old are you two?

I hope Kyle saw this question. Kyle, are you and your friend both at least 21 years old? Because if not, you may have another problem. People under 21 can't sail with Carnival unless there is someone in the cabin that is at least 25. Just a heads up for you in case you were not aware of that policy and in case one of you is under 21.

If he said he just did this and he did this on line.........I have accidently purchased the wrong thing on line, called my cc co. and they took care of it no problem.........

I can see where your reason to call a c.card company would have been a "reasonable" dispute, but this is not the case of the OP and would really be dishonest in my eyes and unfair to the cruiseline. But I hope the OP gets this worked out so his friend can go or at least find a replacement possibly.

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE on the not needing passports for "closed loop" cruises? We're booking a surprise reunion cruise for Granddad's birthday in October 2009 and were told we needed passports by TA. I haven't investigated further, but this would make the SURPRISE most difficult or impossible (we literally plan not to tell him where we're going till we get there!) as we would have to get him to apply for passport in person, and of course that would give it away, as he knows he's not traveling in a plane out of country.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO

Jane in NC

By October, you will need a passport unless the rules change again. It's only until July 2009, that you can use a certified birth certificate so it might not be a surprise. It will take at least 3 weeks or more to get a passport so plan ahead. Here's a link for you with the travel requirements http://www.dhs.gov/index.shtm

Good Luck!

By October, you will need a passport unless the rules change again. It's only until July 2009, that you can use a certified birth certificate so it might not be a surprise. It will take at least 3 weeks or more to get a passport so plan ahead. Here's a link for you with the travel requirements http://www.dhs.gov/index.shtm

Good Luck!

You are completely mistaken. Please see the links I provided above. They are links to both CBP who enforce the rules and Carnival.

I can see where your reason to call a c.card company would have been a "reasonable" dispute, but this is not the case of the OP and would really be dishonest in my eyes and unfair to the cruiseline. But I hope the OP gets this worked out so his friend can go or at least find a replacement possibly.

A company has 7 days in which to respond back on a chargeback. I personally would not do it as it could put the ENTIRE reservation on hold. If that happens, then NOBODY cruises. The cruiseline proves that the purchase was indeed factual and the charge stays. The cruise has sailed and now they are out the entire fare.

Dave

A company has 7 days in which to respond back on a chargeback. I personally would not do it as it could put the ENTIRE reservation on hold. If that happens, then NOBODY cruises. The cruiseline proves that the purchase was indeed factual and the charge stays. The cruise has sailed and now they are out the entire fare.

Dave

This is only if he decides he can't go at all.........not to try to cancel and rebook the same date..........

It is worth a try.......he would have nothing to loose at that point;)

Then he could rebook on another date.........but I have a feeling he is underage anyway........just a hunch lol!

Edited to say I take that back...his profile says he is 25.......sorry Kyle....

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE on the not needing passports for "closed loop" cruises? We're booking a surprise reunion cruise for Granddad's birthday in October 2009 and were told we needed passports by TA. I haven't investigated further, but this would make the SURPRISE most difficult or impossible (we literally plan not to tell him where we're going till we get there!) as we would have to get him to apply for passport in person, and of course that would give it away, as he knows he's not traveling in a plane out of country.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO

Jane in NC

According to the Government regs., NO you don't. BUT and BUT.

But, if ANYTHING happens and you have to fly in OR out of the US, you must have a passport. So if you had an at home emergency or you missed the ship in some port, you would need a passport to catch up with the ship OR just return to the US.

And BUT.

The cruiseline COULD REQUIRE a passport even if the US does not.

It is the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement [iCE] that demands proof of citizenship when the ship returns to the US. Without that proof, ICE will not let you off the ship in the US. The cruiseline does not want any permanent non-paying passengers so they COULD demand a passport so THEY know they can off load you with the rest of the 'cargo' [returning pax]

Passports are much cheaper now than they will be in the near future, and they are good for 10 years. Might as well get them now. I can see where a passport could be needed for many things in the future. Even a minor hit [whatever that is!] by terrorists could drastically and radically alter passport requirements.

On the various islands visited during the cruise, pictures of dead Presidents on greenish colored paper is all the ID they care about. BUT, that is subject to change as well.

Dan

This is only if he decides he can't go at all.........not to try to cancel and rebook the same date..........

It is worth a try.......he would have nothing to loose at that point;)

Then he could rebook on another date.........but I have a feeling he is underage anyway........just a hunch lol!

The problem comes in if they put the entire reservation on the same credit card. While they would be contesting a portion of it, the cruiseline would probably put the entire reservation on a hold status. Thusly nobody sails when they arrive at the port as the reservation would not have been released.

Personally their best options are getting the birth certificate or if it does not look like it will arrive in time, change the name on the booking to another friend who can go.

Dave

Dan, I agree with your sentiments. I have had a passport since the mid 1960's and I have several addendum books for visas. But I think you are mistaken here on a few things. ICE doesn't enforce border crossing, CBP does. I posted a link to the CBP rules above. The cruise line could demand passports but currently they do not, see link also provided above. Current bookings are made subject to current terms. If Carnival were to change document requirements for existing bookings without a government rule change, they would be liable for refunds. As a stockholder I can't imagine the cruise line denying boarding to anyone qualified to sail. That would be assinine.

I agree having a passport is the best course of action. I think it is in the long term interest of the cruise lines to advise people to get them. But it is not required at this time nor after June 1 by either the federal government or the cruise lines for closed loop cruises, that is simply a fact.

Dan, I agree with your sentiments. I have had a passport since the mid 1960's and I have several addendum books for visas. But I think you are mistaken here on a few things. ICE doesn't enforce border crossing, CBP does. I posted a link to the CBP rules above. The cruise line could demand passports but currently they do not, see link also provided above. Current bookings are made subject to current terms. If Carnival were to change document requirements for existing bookings without a government rule change, they would be liable for refunds. As a stockholder I can't imagine the cruise line denying boarding to anyone qualified to sail. That would be assinine.

I agree having a passport is the best course of action. I think it is in the long term interest of the cruise lines to advise people to get them. But it is not required at this time nor after June 1 by either the federal government or the cruise lines for closed loop cruises, that is simply a fact.

OK BCP not ICE

And I said the passport was NOT required, but that could change. And I'll stick with , "it could change." And my main point was and is, IF anything happens on the cruise requiring a flight into or out of the US, the passport WILL be required.

We both agree, the smart thing is to get the passport.

Dan

When we needed birth records i call the state i was born and paid by credit card and they mailed me one right away and if your friends doesent live in the state you are at. If his parents are there they can get a copy good luck

In the county I live in we can go to the Health Dept with a photo ID and they will print off a birth cert right then. My husband and I used them on our first two cruises until we got passports and my mom used it on our cruise in Dec. Maybe check around and find out if your county offers that.

Well, unfortunately, he didn't purchase a watch or a DVD...he purchased a cruise with a cancellation policy that he agreed to when he paid.

The CC company won't refund under this circumstance.

Hi - I work at the port in SF doing check-in in for most of the cruise lines that visit. The cruise lines are very zero-tolerance these days regarding proper documentation. Almost every time I work, I see guests denied boarding, and it's not a happy situation.

Your friend will need proof of citizenship (Photo ID AND certified birth certificate) if the cruise is: beginning and end at the same US port, AND visiting the Caribbean, Mexico or Canada, AND is a US citizen. If the ship is going elsewhere (i.e. Europe, South America, etc.), you will absolutely need a valid Passport.

Additionally, if you are travelling by ship on just a photo ID/birth certificate, and something happens where you need to disembark the ship in a foreign country and fly home, you WILL need a passport to fly back to the US. The birth certificate/photo ID is only still valid for travelling by surface (i.e. ship, car, rail).

Hopefully, your friend will have time to get a birth certificate this week. Make sure to apply for passports when you get home, so you can plan your next cruise with no worries!

I applied for a passport in 2007 and it took three months before I received it. One of the questions on the passport application refers to travel plans. I applied the end of March and was going to need the passport in early July. It didn't arrive until late May. I didn't make my airline plans until it was received.

I first needed to apply for a certified copy of my birth certificate. That was done in one visit to Cleveland City Hall, but they charge $19 for one certified birth certificate.

The passport cost $97. If you want it expedited, it is an extra $30.

You are completely mistaken. Please see the links I provided above. They are links to both CBP who enforce the rules and Carnival.

No, you are mistaken. The department of homeland security sets the guidelines about what is required to travel in and out of this country. I know for a fact that, you can cruise right now without a passport until July of 2009. After that, you will be required to have a passport....unless the rules change and that July date is extended as it was last year.

Perhaps you misunderstood my post or are interpreting the rules incorrectly but if in doubt, check the website I posted earlier for specifics about the gudelines.

You posted a link to the home page of DHS. I posted a link directly to the regulations on the CBP website. CBP is the part of DHS that enforces the regulation. I also quoted the regulations above verbatim from their site. If you have information that contradicts the current regulations please post a link, if not you are mistaken on the current regulations.

When will WHTI Land and Sea go into effect?

WHTI Land and Sea will be implemented on June 1, 2009. At that time, only passports or WHTI-compliant documents will be acceptable for entering the United States. These alternatives are explained in detail on page 2.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that • begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

Archived