Native Alaskan arts and crafts shops

ShibaInuMom

This is my second trip to Alaska and I want to visit arts and crafts shops/festivals were Eskimos/native Alaskans make the crafts - possibly have ongoing demonstrations. We are going to the following ports in June, 2009:

Juneau

Ketchikan

Skagway

Valdez

Seward

Kodiak

Icy Strait Point :)

This is my second trip to Alaska and I want to visit arts and crafts shops/festivals were Eskimos/native Alaskans make the crafts - possibly have ongoing demonstrations. We are going to the following ports in June, 2009:

Juneau - The Raven's Journey

http://www.ravensjourneygallery.com/

:)

Please bear in mind that native and local artwork will be quite expensive, but you will find lovely treasures that will make both wonderful gifts and serve as very special souvenirs of your Alaska experience.:)

(ps You are doing the cruise itinerary that I would have loved to do this year. Have a marvelous time!)

Thanks for the link, they have beautiful items. However, I would like to seeing native Alaskans making some of these or even better - I would like to buy from the moms and dads that depend on tourist for their income. All ideas will be appreciated.

We are going to the following ports in June, 2009:

Juneau

Ketchikan

Skagway

Valdez

Seward

Kodiak

Icy Strait Point :)

Something to keep in mind is that what are now towns in AK were not necessarily Native villages. They were smarter than white folks, and wouldn't dream of living in what is now Juneau or Skagway!

There is a Native presence in Juneau but it's not the same as being in a true Native village like Hoonah (Icy Strait) Check out your cruise information about Icy Strait--it's a sort of attraction created with the local tribe for tourists, so I'd think they have some handicrafts being created there. Also, walk up to Hoonah to see how Natives live now.

It's a shame you don't stop in Sitka, they have Native crafts being demonstrated all summer in National Park Visitor's Center.

In Juneau, go up on the Mt Roberts Tram because Goldbelt Native Corporation runs the attraction, and they usually have a craftsman at work up there, as well as great items for sale. Also, the Sealaska Corporation has had a large piece being worked on--canoe, totem pole--in their building's foyer in previous summers. Poke around their website to see if they mention something for this year. It's such a bummer that you weren't coming last June; Celebration is worth visiting Juneau to see.

If you have enough time in Skagway, you may want to take the fast ferry over to Haines, assuming it's running this summer. In Haines, you can visit the Native village of Klukwan (Haines being another place that Natives didn't actually live) In Haines, there's the Alaska Indian Arts Gallery. It's another chance to possibly see a totem being carved.

I don't know about the hospital gift shops in those ports, but if you're ever in Anchorage, go out to the Native Hospital (it has a longer name) on Tudor. They have wonderful native crafts there. Museum gift shops would be another choice. Look for the symbol that it was made in Alaska, and another that it was made by a native craftsman. Nancy

Archived