Carnival fascination vs ncl sky

cruisincory

Hello everyone. My wife and I have been on 1 cruise before with Carnival on the Inspiration. We enjoyed the cruise so we decided to book again with Carnival, this time on the Fascination to the Bahamas. Before booking, I was doing some shopping around. I found that NCL has a cruise to the Bahamas at the same time, however, it is alot cheaper. I can get a balcony room for the same price as a OV room on the Fascination. I have been doing research, but the reviews are mixed. Can anyone tell me which cruise line is better and which one you would choose?

I'm looking at that too and the Sky is quite a bit cheaper. I'm not sure what we're going to do yet but I know the 4-nighter on the Sky had three stops so you're not really cruising much. I don't know. I know if we decide on the Sky, I think I'll be able to overlook minor problems because I'm going to consider it a deal. I'm interested to see what others say.

Diane

We just got off the Fascination. Have not been on the Sky, but the one we did on the NCL Dawn was not as good as any of our CCL cruises. The main difference for us was the service was so spotty on NCL. The food on NCL was either great or very bad. The Fascination dinning room food was very good. Actually we felt it was the best yet. The service was spot on. Our dining staff/stewarts and bar satff were very friendly. Will be posting full review later. The embarkation is very easy and a short walk compared to most ports. The ship was just upgraded and was clean everywhere. The NCL Dawn was beautiful and I do like the feel a bit better than CCL, so I can only assume the Sky is the same there.

I've been on both. The Fascination was my worst cruise. However it was before it was refurbed (and many years ago). The price difference would decide for it me. The Sky was fine. It wasn't my fave. It wasn't horrible. If the Sky is hundreds of dollars cheaper I'd go again. If Sky was just a $100 cheaper I'd probably go with Carnival.

JMO. Good luck.

Just reread your post. I'd go for the balcony hands down!! Again, JMO.

The last time I sailed on NCL was in 1998 for my honeymoon on the Leeward. It was promoted as a small ship for romance. I kid you not, half of our ship was Brazilian teenagers on a disney/cruise vacation. You couldn't get away from them they were everywhere. The non-Brazilian teenage passengers were quite upset at the end of that cruise, and it took 4 years of convincing my wife to take another one which was the Carnival Sensation, and we have been happy with Carnival ever since.

I was on the Fascination last March from Miami and have sailed from Jacksonville many times on the Celebration. I must say, I love that port because the embarkation/debarkation is smooth, quick, and well organized. I've never been on NCL yet but I can say the Fascination is a great ship. It's recently been refurbished so it looks like new. I liked everything about it....clean rooms, remodeled bathrooms, big plasma screens in public areas, great entertainment, good food, flat panel tv's in staterooms, serenity adult's only retreat, etc., etc... And the beds are so comfy!!! In fact, I'm sailing on it again next week for a 5 day cruise to Key West and Nassau. The refurbs Carnival is doing with the Fantasy class ships is terrific. I've been on the Imagination, Fascination, Inspiration and they all look like new ships inside. Can't wait for the Sensation to get it's refurb this Spring.

I liked everything about it....clean rooms, remodeled bathrooms, big plasma screens in public areas, great entertainment, good food, flat panel tv's in staterooms, serenity adult's only retreat, etc., etc...

Where is the adult only retreat? I was under the impression that they weren't getting that 'til it went in dry dock in the fall (along with the waterworks thing).

I was on the Fascination last March from Miami and have sailed from Jacksonville many times on the Celebration. I must say, I love that port because the embarkation/debarkation is smooth, quick, and well organized. I've never been on NCL yet but I can say the Fascination is a great ship. It's recently been refurbished so it looks like new. I liked everything about it....clean rooms, remodeled bathrooms, big plasma screens in public areas, great entertainment, good food, flat panel tv's in staterooms, serenity adult's only retreat, etc., etc... And the beds are so comfy!!! In fact, I'm sailing on it again next week for a 5 day cruise to Key West and Nassau. The refurbs Carnival is doing with the Fantasy class ships is terrific. I've been on the Imagination, Fascination, Inspiration and they all look like new ships inside. Can't wait for the Sensation to get it's refurb this Spring.

Ummmm, there is an adult serenity area now on the Fascination??? When did that happen???:confused: If there is I am getting really excited :Dnow!

Thanks for all the info. I think right now we are leaning toward the NCL cruise just for the balcony plus an extra stop at their private island.

The Fascination has it's own island stop too, Half moon Cay. Also as someone noted the beds are the best on ALL CCL ships. I did read that NCL was upgrading thier beds , might want to see if the Sky's have. Otherwise I can say that NCL has the worst bed I have ever slept on. The balacony is definately a plus, we love balconies. Though on the Dawn you can not sit on the balcony unless you are turned inwards, and I believe that is like thier other ships. They are very small. Please let us know how it was after you are back. I am hesitant to do another NCL, but would welcome feedback if you do go to see if we should chance it again. Don't know what price you are looking at but the five day that includes Half Moon Cay is about $329 for OV, and $279 inside for past guest on the upper or empress. Either way you will be on a cruisesmiley-happy110.gif

Thanks for all the info. I think right now we are leaning toward the NCL cruise just for the balcony plus an extra stop at their private island.

The Fascination has it's own island stop too, Half moon Cay. Also as someone noted the beds are the best on ALL CCL ships. I did read that NCL was upgrading thier beds , might want to see if the Sky's have. Otherwise I can say that NCL has the worst bed I have ever slept on. The balacony is definately a plus, we love balconies. Though on the Dawn you can not sit on the balcony unless you are turned inwards, and I believe that is like thier other ships. They are very small. Please let us know how it was after you are back. I am hesitant to do another NCL, but would welcome feedback if you do go to see if we should chance it again. Don't know what price you are looking at but the five day that includes Half Moon Cay is about $329 for OV, and $279 inside for past guest on the upper or empress. Either way you will be on a cruisesmiley-happy110.gif

Ummmm, there is an adult serenity area now on the Fascination??? When did that happen???:confused: If there is I am getting really excited :Dnow!

I just got off of the Fascination on January 2. It does not have the adult serenity area! As a matter of fact, I was quite dissapointed with the pool area. I will be posting a review soon, but in a nut shell:

Food: I was not happy with the quality of food on the Fascination. In addition, they do not have the 24 hour buffet that I had on other ships. As a matter of fact, one night I got hungry around midnight and went to the Lido looking for a light snak. The only thing available was pizza or hamburgers.

Entertainment was great on the Fascination, but the configuration of the show lounge made it necessary to arrive very early to get a seat that you could see from. Day time activities seemed to not always have great organization...sometimes plenty to choose from, sometimes nothing.

Had a category 12 on Fascination, so the cabin was great. I wish the balcony had a higher table to eat on.

Motion: Not sure why, but I and several other veteran cruisers that I spoke with seemed to feel the motion more on the Facination, than on other ships we were on. The waters were relatively calm.

Service was wonderful.

Archived