RCL 0r DCL

stsomewhere

We are going on our 1st DCL in a few weeks.

We are trying to decide what cruise to book for 2010.

7 night western on Disney Magic

or

13 night southern on Explorer.

I am not sure if 13 nights is too long. They usually enjoy 7 and aren't ready to get off, but they can get bored in kids programs. Will there be kids onboard to play with?

My kids will be 11 and 9.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, there will be other children on the 13 night Explorer cruise, not as many as a 7 night cruise, but there will be children. I personally prefer the Southern Caribbean islands plus you'd get twice as long of a vacation. To me Explorer would be the way to go.

We had the 10 night Explore booked for March 2009. Then, we canceled because the kids really wanted to try DCL.

We have sailed on RC a few times and they have really liked it.

I guess we will have to wait and see if we feel DCL is worth the $$$.

DH is leaning toward 13 night.

Thanks everyone.

stsomewhere - I think I would probably lean toward Explorer because of the ages of the kids, but I'll have more feedback after our second RCL cruise in March. We have been on DCL several times and love it, but I think I would go for the longer cruise given the option. Please let us know how the upcoming DCL cruise goes.

cruisinmama - Is your upcoming IOS a 6 night or 8 night? I know you will probably pick up various Compasses for your blog, but I would love to see the 6-8 year old Compass if it's the 8 night cruise. Or maybe you already have that one and I just missed it.

I hope each of you enjoy your cruise!

Well for me, this is easy cause I am doing a 13 or 14 night Explorer in 2010. :D We've been on Disney, twice. The kids still prefer Royal Caribbean. ;)

So I booked Royal.

How old are your kids, and what do they prefer?

I'm asking because we are in the exact opposite position as the original poster, so I am eagerly watching this post. We've only been on DCL (3 times in last 3 years) and are booked on the Explorer of the Seas 9-day for spring break this year. Our two balcony cabins on EOS are far cheaper than a 7-day on DCL with our usual one balcony/one inside cabin would be . . . The kids are very wary, though, and wish we were going on DCL again. DH and I felt like we had done everything the Magic had to offer, but not the kids. (They are 14, 11, and 10.)

One thing we liked about DCL is that we didn't feel "nickled and dimed" on board -- the free soda was nice, our DR servers often brought the kids free shirley temples at dinner, we didn't feel like drinks/smoothies, etc., were grossly overpriced, even the bottled water and wine packages were not outrageous. Can anyone compare RCI on that aspect?

cruisinmama - Is your upcoming IOS a 6 night or 8 night? I know you will probably pick up various Compasses for your blog, but I would love to see the 6-8 year old Compass if it's the 8 night cruise. Or maybe you already have that one and I just missed it.

I am doing the 6 night, but RebeccaLouise is doing the 8 night right before me. She is getting off Indy as I am getting on. So if she grabs the compasses, we will have both covered. :D

How old are your kids, and what do they prefer? Can anyone compare RCI on that aspect?

My kids are 4 and 8 (turning 9 in 2 weeks). We don't feel nickeled and dimed because #1 - we don't drink soda. Only my hubby does. We drink the iced tea, fruit punch, lemonade and the kids - white/chocolate milk.

My kids love the pool areas on RCCL more than on any other line. The Disney ship pools were once described to me as "floating lobster tanks" and that stuck with me because they are. Since there are so many kids onboard, the pools are often packed to overflowing with kids. And the pools are just too small to handle it all.

Kids club - yes the kids like the Disney club. But my oldest likes the RCCL Adventure Ocean more. The AO program doesn't seem to duplicate the activities alot. There are new activities and new themes daily. But on Disney, there were 4 times that you could do a "Kim Possible" activity.

Onboard Ammenities - there is just more to do on RCCL. Rock wall climbing (which my oldest loves), ice skating, mini golf, parades through the promenade, ice shows and on the Freedom class - the H20 zone and the Flowrider (surfing)

It's hard for me to feel nickeled/dimed when I know I paid less for a newer ship with more ammenities. ;)

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it went. :D

I am doing the 6 night, but RebeccaLouise is doing the 8 night right before me. She is getting off Indy as I am getting on. So if she grabs the compasses, we will have both covered. :D

My kids are 4 and 8 (turning 9 in 2 weeks). We don't feel nickeled and dimed because #1 - we don't drink soda. Only my hubby does. We drink the iced tea, fruit punch, lemonade and the kids - white/chocolate milk.

My kids love the pool areas on RCCL more than on any other line. The Disney ship pools were once described to me as "floating lobster tanks" and that stuck with me because they are. Since there are so many kids onboard, the pools are often packed to overflowing with kids. And the pools are just too small to handle it all.

Kids club - yes the kids like the Disney club. But my oldest likes the RCCL Adventure Ocean more. The AO program doesn't seem to duplicate the activities alot. There are new activities and new themes daily. But on Disney, there were 4 times that you could do a "Kim Possible" activity.

Onboard Ammenities - there is just more to do on RCCL. Rock wall climbing (which my oldest loves), ice skating, mini golf, parades through the promenade, ice shows and on the Freedom class - the H20 zone and the Flowrider (surfing)

It's hard for me to feel nickeled/dimed when I know I paid less for a newer ship with more ammenities. ;)

Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it went. :D

Thanks for your reply -- I will say that the kids never spent any time at all in the pools because they were so crowded and I guess I just assumed they would be the same way on all cruises. They will be excited to have some good pool time, so that observation is really helpful. Unfortunately I think it will be too cold for the first and last day or two since we'll be cruising out of NJ in March!

I will definitely post a review and let everyone know our experience! I am sure the kids will have a fantastic time; I think it's a little weird that they are so stuck on DCL - they never were into the characters or any particular Disney thing; I think they just like knowing the ship and feeling totally comfortable there. That and the fact that our dinner servers always treated them like royalty -- on one cruise our son ate three shrimp cocktails (wrangled from who knows what restaurant on board on any given day) and a basket of bread every night for dinner after our head waiter noticed how much he enjoyed it the first night (when it was actually on the menu).

A major point of cruising for DH and I is introducing the kids to new (hopefully wonderful) experiences, so I think RCI will be just the ticket for that!

That and the fact that our dinner servers always treated them like royalty -- on one cruise our son ate three shrimp cocktails (wrangled from who knows what restaurant on board on any given day) and a basket of bread every night for dinner after our head waiter noticed how much he enjoyed it the first night (when it was actually on the menu).

That's what is great about cruising, everyone treats the kids like royalty. That is pretty much how all cruise lines are suppose to work. :)

In the dining room especially, the staff falls all over the kids. We've experienced that on all lines. And actually, surprisingly to a lesser degree on Disney. :( For the first time ever, the server told me "no". :eek: (I asked for a pasta dish for the kids that was on the adult menu, he said no....yes I know that's not normal for Disney)

The first and last day will be chilly on EOS. So that's when the kids can go to the ice skating rink. ;) Have a great cruise!

We booked the 13 night.

DS-10 said he would rather go on a longer cruise , but he would rather have us change the dates so he can miss more school. ( they will only miss 3 because they have Thursday and Good Friday off. plus, following week) Plus, wants to go back on the RC with all the activities.

DD-8 wanted to wait until we came back for DCL.

I will let you know how our cruise went.

We are looking at Explorer for 2010 as well (or any other RCCL ship that sails in 2010 from Cape Liberty)...we need a cheaper one as we're cruisin' DCL this Nov. Cruisinmam06-What itinerary would you recommend for the kids...Bermuda or Eastern Caribbean. They'll be 3,8 and 11(around there depending on what month we go) Also does anyone happen to know if there will be any more dates released for 2010 out of Cape Liberty for the summer?

Cruisinmam06-What itinerary would you recommend for the kids...Bermuda or Eastern Caribbean. They'll be 3,8 and 11(around there depending on what month we go)

I haven't been to Bermuda yet. It's on my Things to Do list for next year. ;) lol

If the choice is between 5 night Bermuda and 9 day Eastern...I'd jump on the 9 day Eastern. :) But that's just because it's 9 days.

I haven't been to Bermuda yet. It's on my Things to Do list for next year. ;) lol

If the choice is between 5 night Bermuda and 9 day Eastern...I'd jump on the 9 day Eastern. :) But that's just because it's 9 days.

Crusinmam06-Wow...I can't believe with all your cruises you've never been to Bermuda :D

I think we're leaning towards the Eastern as I've read the seas can be quite rough to Bermuda.

wrp96-I think we'll wait to decide til the rest of the dates are released and see what else pops up! Thanks guys for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

WE just got back from our first Disney cruise. It was terrific. DH and I loved the understated elegance of the ship and the service was excellent.

DD-8 had a wonderful in the Lab and interacting with the characters.

DS-10 wasn't interested in the characters but really enjoyed the different dining rooms, and pool areas. His favorite thing was playing ping pong w/ dad and having the goofy pool to himself while watching Willy WOnka on the big screen one night.

We booked a 7 night for August.

It is definetly worth the cost.

Both kids said it was the best cruise the have bben on.

Dh and I rate it in the top 3.= overall. #1 with the kids.

There you are...lol..I just asked about your experience on another thread.

So you jumped in and booked another huh? You must have liked it. :D

Glad you had a great time!

My son was very impressed when they announced our family. He is at an age where he is hard to impress because has to be cool.

Dh was ready to book the first night.

I think that DD-8 had the best time. She never wanted to leave the Lab. The staff and programming there were amazing.

Dh and I went to the Rainforest room while the kids were in the Lab. It was so relaxing and we are planning on getting multi day passes in Aug.

Archived